Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just How Exceptional of a Coach is Billy Napier?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Aug 2, 2022.

1. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    He is very disciplined. The key will be adaptability and smart adjustments as he encounters new things in our league and fiercer challenges.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    We should remember that we are in the honeymoon period with Napier. I really like what he's doing, and I love that he's building a solid foundation, but the "shineyness" of a new coach will likely rub off this year.

Also, keep in mind that every single coach that's come in since Meyer has "instilled discipline" in the team. Every predecessor has been considered to have lost the team and discipline suffered as a result.

Don't take this as me thinking Napier won't be a great coach. I'm just setting realistic expectations.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    To answer the OP, we all will know in 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Exceptional coach at lower league level. Now we find out if he is comparable to best of the best in college ball. Going up against coaches with many years is SEC and top P5 program experience at the Coordinator and HCing level. The real question is the Louisiana Army he hired ready to step up in competition.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    Or if some really good stuff happens, that new ring could be shinier than ever by season's end. Sadly though, the honeymoon is already over if you listen to some of the chronically negative "fans" or naysayers in the media and the blogger-sphere. But to your point, Mullen showed the world just how cheap talk really is. Fortunately, Billy seems like a talk less, work harder kind of HC.
    OIP.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    Nailed it. My biggest reservation was/is the supporting cast's experience at the highest level (particularly coordinators). This is where I hope the Peterson's, Raymond's and Sales' really do some heavy lifting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. doctorg8r

doctorg8r Senior

Dec 11, 2018
    Mullen did not lead by example, and the Missouri game quickly comes to mind. Marco Wilson, throwing the shoe, is another incident under Mullen. BTW, I wonder who thinks Urban was a great disciplinarian?

I am merely saying I like what I am hearing so far. The proof is in the pudding, and we are about to see in a couple of months how he coaches. I had concerns initially, but I now think Napier was a darned good hire!

Billy appears to be an excellent recruiter and teacher. He has a good track record coaching, and I don't think this job is too big for him; but, we shall see.

8. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I think people focus on "player discipline" but Mullen lacked discipline with his staff. He had multiple underperforming coaches both on game day and recruiting and stuck with them. You cannot demand discipline from subordinates and have folks at the top being sloppy. Napier is a big change for the good.

Does Napier understand the razors edge of competition in the SEC and can he push his staff to meet that (on the field and in recruiting)? That is a very fair question but I think all signs are good. He is not spit shining our current situation but is building from the ground up. How high can he build is the question.

As for this season, I think so much rides on AR's health.Without him (and/or with a few other key injuries) and we just will be handcuffed. With this schedule and thin roster, we need breaks. But if we suffer misfortune, it would be great for Florida fans to consider the process more important than the results this year.

Edit: quote from Napier. This level of engagement is necessary for coaches and I’m pretty sure Dan never related to the team this way so when things got tough, the team unraveled.
    “We probably know each other a little bit better is what I would say. The relationship piece is important. I think the connection inside the building, I think that's one of the things that we've really focused. I just think there's a certain loyalty that comes with this game. There's a human element. When you have a relationship with the people that you're competing with, when you know their story, when you've had in-depth conversations with them, you know what to say motivate. You can push a button.”

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    This whole tread brings me back to Doering’s quote last week.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. r0r080

r0r080 Junior

Jul 31, 2019
    I personally find the question speculative at best, and best asked at the conclusion of his 1st season at Florida.

11. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    Everyone is underestimating the improvement with going from a below average QB to a high first round talent. On college teams that kind of critical position improvement takes a decent LSU team to a national championship...providing he stays healthy AR is going to be an absolute SOB for the opposing defense. I get it...we were awful last year but this team isnt really that far off. I think many will be surprised this year despite a brutal schedule.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I coach varsity sports and follow everything wooden teaches/explain in his books. It works. Amazing results.

CBN building a solid foundation

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    Only if we suddenly have quality depth at all positions.

14. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    Agree. Unfortunately positive and sincere threads / posts like this seem to escape Dooley and others - they still think Gator fans are the worst. Btw - anyone see that article on how OSU fans are flipping out over their recruits?! All toward a coach that has been very successful and has had recruiting classes ranked well above ours.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    Spurrier frequently quoted Wooden, Woody Hayes, and Sun Tzu.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    It could happen

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    He won?

18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Agree. And, after that, I want UGA to want to upset us.

• Like Like x 3
  19. danmanne65

danmanne65 All American

Jul 2, 2022
    DeLand
    Exactly what I wanted to post but couldn’t put the sentence together. Thanks

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    They’re dogs. They are capable of sucking it.

• Funny Funny x 1