Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just How Exceptional of a Coach is Billy Napier?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by doctorg8r, Aug 2, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    I am hoping to start a thread because the team, the newest 2022 recruits, and future recruits are learning something incredibly powerful--discipline. We've heard football has quite a mental aspect to playing smart football. This should be exciting news to us because, not only should we see a better product on the field but it should be an attraction to new recruits to come be a Gator. This article should make us ALL PROUD!!! GO GATORS!!!!!

Napier focus on discipline making a 'huge difference'

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. garettk

garettk GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2008
    I believe his “floor” is very high. Time will tell what his ceiling is in this league.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    This is music to my ears. We were so undisciplined under Mullen. Napier prioritizing discipline is exactly what the doctor ordered:

“Attention to detail and discipline have been among the keystone themes of Napier’s young tenure. In the spring, the new Gator leader said that everything has its place on a schedule in his system and each activity within that structure is deliberate from meals to team meetings to practice and even time at home with family, something several of his Florida staff members have said is a critical aspect of the head coach’s routine.

According to some Florida players, that sense of team structure was among the things missing in the waning stages of former head coach Dan Mullen’s time in Gainesville. Napier is working to fix that by implementing a regimented routine for his athletes off the field while maintaining that standard on the grass.”

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator VIP Member

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    And everybody better show up with white socks! Lol

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    How many procedure penalties did we have against KY last year? 11?? Ridiculous. Cost us the game. And post-game, Mullen walks across the field with a big smile on his face to shake hands with Stoops? He was happy about that?

I knew at that point that Mullen was done; so was I. We hadn't lost to Kentucky in over 30 years until Mullen arrived; he lost 2 out of 4.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2009
    To be fair, Stoops has raised Kentucky's profile quite a bit. Still, we shouldn't have lost that game. Hell, Mullen almost had a losing record against them. If not for Trask coming in for an injured Franks, he very well may have ended with a losing record to them.

As for discipline, I hope so. My goodness, we lost a damn game because a player threw a shoe.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    Here's another article that points to a different aspect of player development, and this one is HUGE! Napier is working on player development through connecting on a deeper level. He wants the player's to buy in to the culture of what it means to be a team, and EVERYONE contributes not just player's. This is GINORMOUS, as Napier is developing character!!! We have lost games, due to mentally not being in the game. New recruits are going to see Billy has another dimension--connectivity--that will attract them to UF.

Billy Napier gives incredibly insightful answer to basic team question

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 3
  8. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    I am all in.

John Wooden type coaching. He had players tie their shoes correctly before hitting the floor- and that included Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

Less penalties- will tell the tale.

1 month to go

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    8 wins should be considered a very down year at Florida. 8 wins means we lost to every team that was any good. Kentucky may feel accomplished to win 8 but that’s called failure for good teams.

• Agree x 5
    • Winner x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  10. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    Remember, though (in all fairness to the team and our own expectations), Florida is not ranked in preseason top 25 rankings. Kentucky and Tennessee are 23 and 24 respectively. Georgia is 3, Utah is 4, Texas A&M is 9 and the Gators are 30. That could obviously change, but what is concerning for the Gators is a lack of depth and experience, especially at the skilled positions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Make no mistake, we are way down right now and 8 wins this year may be a great first step for Napier. We were pathetic last year. Keeping a Samford team under 30 would be an improvement. Let that one sink in. I don’t “expect” 10 wins

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Legend

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    As I recall, The HBC held Coach Wooden in the highest regard for his disciplined, principled approach to teaching young men how to maximize their potential as both players and individuals.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Legend

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    I agree. Once you've been to the mountain top, mediocrity sucks just that much more. But I honestly believe that if things go our way injury-wise, AR grows into his awesome potential, and this young team plays with courage and pride, that at least nine wins is a reasonable floor this season. I'm not sure what the ceiling is, but I suspect it's higher than many think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Agreed and I’m not as concerned with this years record as I am moving in the right direction. We were horrible last year. It’ll take time but top 5 classes have to be the expectation eventually. 15th this year would be a failure in my book. It doesn’t mean we won’t get it going but that won’t be a good sign.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    Years ago I saw an interview with Kareem, and he said Wooden started every preseason camp by showing the team exactly how to put on their socks. That's attention to detail.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    I just wanna upset UGA

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Always

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Legend

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    All that's true, at least to an extent. But pre-season predications, especially those from some quarters, are little more than a waste of time and energy. Only three teams on our schedule are better on paper than UF. And IMHO, LSU has as many questions to answer as we do - and we get them at home.
    Time will tell, but I have fairly high hopes for a strong finish and a solid top-ten class. And yes, 15 would be somewhat disappointing with the level of effort and competence we're seeing from this staff - not to mention the number of blue-chip players that are showing renewed interest in UF.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  19. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

100% on your first point! Second point...tenuous. While I think we do better than 15th this year, that is not a marker for me in any way. Coach is building the foundations. That starts with relationships and building from the inside out. That includes NIL as well. Get THIS team solid, build relationships with HS coaches in Florida, use existing relationships outside. I expect to end up close to 10th, but that is arbitrary. Coach Hoche made clear that getting kids who fit CBN's system is the goal, stars be damned.
    I have confidence in Napier's system, simply because the coaches are the examples of discipline and CBN is clearly organized to max

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  20. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    I don't typically think preseason polls are that accurate, so I agree with you. However, the Gators are ranked 30 and LSU 31. Yes, a home game and I believe that is winnable for us. In fact, I think most of our games are winnable if the Gators offense can execute. If the defense has to be relied on to win, 2022 will not go well. I hope the Gators overachieve, as recruiting will take off! Hopefully, Richardson stays healthy and performs exceptionally, giving Miller multiple opportunities to develop for 2023. And, a must, an exceptional quarterback for 2024. I don't think anyone would argue, we have need of a phenomenal quarterback.

• Like Like x 1