Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just Had a Men’s League Game Last Night

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by murphree_hall, Apr 7, 2021.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    We had better talent than Oral Roberts, although their talent might have been better if the game was 2 on 2. I l also believe that in some prior years under White, we had Final Four-level talent.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    You left out that the officiating in the first game was terrible but then had the officials from the UF/ORU game show up for the second game and you shot 30 free throws to the other teams 2.

3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Im just sharing experience. I disagree philosophically on premise of many of your arguments... who the coach is, is irrelevant.

4. robertgator

robertgator GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Mike White is charge of getting us the right pieces - to take us from MH's team pre-6'6" center to after.

Mike White is going to continue to be the Gator coach as long as he's getting us into the tourney. Hopefully he gets better and better.

• Like Like x 3
  5. garygator27

garygator27 GC Legend

Mar 28, 2017
    When you were up by 11 with 9 minutes to go in the second game did your team decide to slow it down? Or did you keep playing at the same pace and blow them out?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

It’s the Jimmy and Joes not the X and 0’s.. by the way did you dribble really fast ?

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Since someone else brought up ORU I will too.
    I made myself watch that game again. I do this so that I can see the whole game with a clearer head- not worried about the outcome.

While we should have won, the officiating in that game was beyond bad.
    The tackle of Appleby while their guy goes for an easy dunk was one of many horrible calls or non-calls.
    I watched it 3x in slow motion- just to be sure what I saw. I still can't believe it.
    If that call is made, it's probably a 4-point swing.

That said- we still should have won.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    When I played intramurals I coached the team. We couldn't put in much of an offense other than pick and rolls, pick and pops, baseline screens, some dribble drive and isolation plays.

But sometimes I really made the difference in the outcome. One time we were in a close game at the half and I recognized that their point guard was really good at getting teammates good shots. So I told them to trap him once he crossed the half court line. I did not tell them why I wanted this, but just to do it.

Of course my teammates were thinking that I wanted turnovers and we didn't get them. Instead we got bad shots from the other team.

Five minutes into the second half one of our players said that this wasn't working. We didn't get any turnovers.

And then I asked "How many points have they scored?"

The correct answer was zero.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    It's both. The Jimmy and Joe's need to be put in situations to succeed.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    the coach is relevant to the players he recruits, the game plan, adjustments made, development, and overall mentality of the team.

But White is here for at least another year, and I will be rooting for the Gators regardless.

11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Thanks for squaring me up bud . I don’t know much about the coaching stuff

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Lurk , you are John Woodenesque

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    No disagreement from me on any of these points. Not sure if/why you think I wouldn’t agree.

14. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Two weeks ago in my Wednesday night league, we were losing by 19 at half and getting killed by one guy beating any of us who tried to guard him one on one. He was playing very physical, using his body to bump us around, but if we even breathed on him they called a foul. At halftime I made the team switch to 2-3 zone and we ended up winning by 12. They were completely caught off guard and ineffective against the zone.

I’m not saying coaching doesn’t matter. It can definitely have a positive or negative effect. I will say that nothing is 100%, though and I’ve also made some adjustments that didn’t work. That’s sports. You could also say the other team failed to adjust to our adjustment. Or... maybe they just got fatigued and we were in better shape. Hard to say what’s right or wrong.

15. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    +30 second half. Real nice. But be honest, did your big man just show up late?

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  16. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    I think you misunderstood something somewhere in what I posted. The second example I believe you are referencing is on my Wednesday team which is not the same as the Tuesday team I was talking about in the OP.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I just thought about another time I made a coaching move that was really funny.

We were playing an intramural team playing a 2-3 zone, but they didn't know how to do it. In the first two minutes or so of the game I hit 3 for 3 from three and 3 for 3 from just inside three and they called time out. I laughed and said they are going to be all over me, but I will be on the sidelines because I am subbing out just to give them a mind F.

We won easily and I never went back in.

Added in edit:

I am very old school and having a defender running at you and then taking a shot that would be just inside what is now the three point line was a good shot back then if it was open. Now it is not considered a good shot as it is a long two point shot instead of an almost as long three point shot which in the current game is far superior.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    tell the Hoosiers that when they ran the picket fence with Jimmy Chipwood. Coaching does matter. It definitely when players are 18-22 years old.
    Most kids, without proper discipline or direction or strategy, wouldn't come anywhere near their potential with proper coaching. Hell, even at the NBA level. Sometimes, especially at the NBA level.

19. murphree_hall

Jul 11, 2019
    Straw man argument. I didn't say that coaching doesn't matter.

20. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    Lucky for you its not a contact sport, ROFLOL. I think you will do OK.