Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Just Curious....

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by KAGator67, Feb 19, 2020.

1. KAGator67

KAGator67 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 2, 2011
    I'm curious what people think about the zone defenses for this team. I personally prefer man on man.. and it seems as though we play man on man very well. Zone .. we seem to have a lot of breakdowns

Anyway I'm not a expert strategist so I'd like to get other opinions on this.

2. VTGator

VTGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 17, 2007
    Nice to be able to switch things up a bit when the other team gets too comfortable offensively. Gotta run it every once in a while so that you are ready when you really need it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I prefer using both and mixing 'em up to throw off the opponent. But a lot depends on the personnel of both teams.
    As a base defense, I like man-to-man. Switch frequently and back again with zone. As I recall, Awbrin was stymied when we switched to zone, and that decided the game. Or am I confusing that with another game?

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    Zone is quite effective against talented but inexperienced freshmen. It takes a while to learn how to exploit the holes in zone.

5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    White went 1-3-1 a bit last night and said it was a mistake . . . Jones too good, carved it up.
    But I do like switching.
    I thought we played the 3-2 zone against UGA really effectively.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. BigByte1

BigByte1 Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    There were way too many straight line drives, layups, dunks against Arkansas. Whatever defense we were in when that was going on, I prefer the other one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Teaser title......:ninja:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    I like changing defenses especially out of time outs as the opposing team has drawn up a play against the previous defense.

I think our switching man to man is very good now that Blackshear switches back at the first opportunity so he is not caught guarding the guards at the three point line.

9. wildcat76

wildcat76 Freshman

Feb 13, 2020
    Zone defense requires a lot of communication and knowing where they're supposed to be depending on where the ball is, and knowing how to guard whoever has the ball. I'm not opposed to it, but any good offense can bury a zone defense.

10. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area
    I think most of the straight line drives were due to their one player, Jones, being really good at it. He also converted 2 or 3 of them that were pretty well challenged.

Our man defense really stymied them later in the game as our guys started getting there early and often with the help defense. I was impressed!

11. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

We have used the 1-3-1 (which sort of morphs to a hybrid 2-3 at times) in some good stretches. It is all about time and opportunity though. I like that we are flexible at times.

12. 407king

407king GC Hall of Fame

Dec 8, 2018
    The 1-3-1 shows how much we miss a kid like Hayes. He could really move his feet for a big guy. Blackshear was in the middle last night and struggled containing guys off the bounce.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. g8wayg8r

g8wayg8r All American

Apr 8, 2007
    St Charles, MO
    They played a 3-2 well. Problem is that you can't sit back in it. You have to play as quick and hard as man to make it work.

14. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Agree. I mentioned footwork the other night. It is a missed opportunity with this group of bigs to say the least.

15. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Last night it didn't work. Other games it has clearly helped us to win. Interesting timing on the OP question.

16. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Against fast teams I prefer man to man but against slower teams like us I think the zone is more effective. But when we hit the threes it doesn't matter what defense we use; we will win.

17. GatorPlanet

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    In 2000, when we were deep and talented, Donovan played press in the full-court and man in the half-court, but liked to drop back into zone in the last 5 to 7 minutes, just when the opponent started to look worn out. Worked like a charm, and they had no legs left to shoot us out of the zone.

18. jeffphillips21

jeffphillips21 VIP Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Vancouver
    Always keep the offense guessing, and that's easier with different defensive looks - both in man to man and in various zone defenses. As long as we know how to play each defense properly and communicate, each zone is different and plays to different strengths too. Personally I would think the 1-3-1 would suit this team, but as AKA pointed out Jones carved it up last night. Probably just need to tweak and get better at the trapping component (and recovering), which is what 1-3-1 zones are best for...

19. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    We go zone on Kentucky, their guards will be playing horse.

20. 67walkon

67walkon Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    J J had trouble inn the zone. Learning curve.