Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just a Couple or So Things 8/07/20

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 7, 2020.

1. mkfgator

mkfgator Senior

Aug 28, 2019
    Wilbur was a man among little girls. The USC game : he was quoted after the game about having a dream of sacking their QB so many times he thought he was related to the poor guy. Back in those days, they wore those giant shoulder pads that made an average player look 30 pounds bigger. Wilbur looked larger than life. Then I met him at my frat house. He had a lot of friends there bc many of our group were from Titusville and went to school with him at Astronaut. I thought he was a basketball payer the first time I met him. He was tall and lean, much leaner than he looked in pads. Looked sleek. His main strength was his speed, so it made sense, plus the pads made him look like a double version of himself. Great guy. For such an awesome competitor and warrior on the field, he just seemed so chill off it. We were honored he came by and partied with us after games.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. NWGaGator

NWGaGator Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    The Wilbur Marshall game, I believe it was called--

Greatest defensive player in the history of Florida football. Should have been in the first group to be inducted into the Ring of Honor.

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 3
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Senior

May 9, 2015
    DB;

I was a SR. at Satellite Beach when Wilbur was a SO. at Astronaut. He was their 6th man on the B-ball team. Chris Collingsworth was a SR. forward, his brother Greg (RIP) was their Center. They had a guy named Delancey that played Small Forward and their Point Guard was ambidextrous. Can't remember his name, but remember him being able to hit 15-20 foot jump shots with either hand. Needless to say............ they were very good.

4. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Nobody remembers Lattimore at SC absolutely destroying our D in the Swamp? Over 200yrds rushing.... And nothing we could do to stop him.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. original zin

original zin Recruit

Oct 6, 2017
    Florida

I was at that game too. Marshall ruined student body right by himself. Enjoyed Jimmy Buffet sing the anthem that day as well, added to the BIG game feel.

6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Aww shucks i forgot about that game!!! Had we won we go get destroyed by Auburn in the SEC title game

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    We were there

Once Wilbur got started it was over for S. Cal

8. ufmc84

ufmc84 Junior

Aug 13, 2017
    That ‘82 USC game is worth watching. I’m old enough to have memories of Marshall playing for the Bears and Redskins but not as a Gator. That ‘82 USC game will forever change your definition of what “dominant defensive performance” actually is. He is quite literally all over the field making tackles. Sacks, TFL, and regular tackles were a thing of beauty when you see how much ground he was covering. I repeat watch it and you’ll have a new standard.

• Like Like x 1
  9. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I know he wasn't a RB, but I'm sure you've seen the highlights of the 95 NC game against Nebraska when Frazier was running over our guys like they were bowling pins. Jamal Lewis was the guy at Utenn that gave me heart burns.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ufmc84

ufmc84 Junior

Aug 13, 2017
    @bobbybaker86 make some popcorn. Pour your favorite drink. Maybe dim the lights and put some soft classical music on in the background along with your favorite scented candle. Put a sock on the door knob and lock the door. It’s an exhilarating experience.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    The refs helped him with a few yards on some critical plays.... That was one of the biggest take a ways from that game other than the Moore fumble that changed the game in their favor.

• Winner Winner x 2
  12. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    And Moore's fumble against UGA in 07 didnt help either. He was such a liablity with the rock

13. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I hated it for him because by all accounts he was a stand up student and kid. I forget the Georgia fumble but the LSU won crushed our momentum. We had that game

14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Well Wilbur was originally signed as a TE, hence the #88 and his height.

I was at that USC game, Wilbur was absolutely dominant. He never missed a tackle, he pursued relentlessly, he sacked, forced fumbles, batted down passes, and was literally unblocked in their backfield within a second after the snap on several occasions. If im not mistaken, one time Salisbury laid down when Wilbur was on top of him within two seconds of the snap.

Alex Brown's 5 sacks of Tee Martin was damned impressive, but what Wilbur did that day against USC, that's a performance by a player that you see only about once a decade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    That game was rough, seemed like nobody wanted to be there that day.

Side note: I thought Lattimore was going to be a star for many a year in the NFL.

16. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    That bolded section right there. We got hosed as usual in a huge night game there.

17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    Sad what happened to him man. I remember seeing that injury while sitting in the stands waiting on the UGA game to start in 2012. Just terrible man. I'm with you, he was such a boss at USCe and im glad he realized it wasn't worth the risk after going off to the NFL

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    I felt for him like he a was a Gator. He's all class and very respected. But when I saw that hit I almost puked, in a weird way it feels like Penny Hardaway injury. The sports world was robbed of 2 world class people/athletes to career ending injuries....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. NoviG8r

NoviG8r Freshman

Apr 9, 2007
    That USC game was the first year that the South Endzone had been expanded. My season tickets were in the overhang in the SE corner, just over the scoreboard. Besides being much louder with the additional 10k fans, that day was hot as heck and was being played on Doug's Rug (that horrible artificial turf). Trojans never schemed to have to block a weakside DE/LB ... they couldn't imagine one that could chase down their RB or QB. They, of course, figured wrong. Wilbur had a career day. I listened to the USC QB that day (Sean Salisbury) on ESPN radio about 23 years ago talking about that game. He said that he remembered two things: 1) Marshall was usually in the backfield before the football, and 2) he has never played anywhere as hot as The Swamp that day.

20. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If not for the injury I’d bet he would have been a good one.

• Agree Agree x 2