Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just a Couple or So Things 8/07/20

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 7, 2020.

1. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Most of these RBs we got on at the very last minute. We were attempting to get them to decommit near NSD

2. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I guess "very last minute" is subjective, but UF probably went after Gibbs hard the latest (just like Bama and Oh St did) of all those named....and that was still several weeks if not months.
    I'm totally in agreement with Bobby....UF ultimately only wanted Bowman, Marks, or Gibbs. Chaney was never really an option from early on. All those other names were explored (plus a few others) and they passed. Now you can argue they shouldn't have taken that approach, but that's a different discussion. It's pretty clear they didn't want a smaller guy, maybe because Clement and Nayquan are so young

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    In 2006 our RBs were DeShawn Wynn and Kesthon Moore. We won a NC.

RB position is less important than in 1990s on back. The RB needs to pass block and catch passes, then be a runner.

I'm less concerned w/ that position. If we enter a year say in spring w/ 3 average, so-so, RBs, there will be 3-5 in transfer portal looking for a fresh start.

We are in great shape at RB in 2020 (hoping season of 10 played).

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Very respected on this board but have to disagree.
    An injury ( already occurred twice with a current back) a transfer ( which will be likely) and possibly one bolting early is doomsday?? It’s best practice to NEVER go 2 cycles without a RB in your class. Beyond best practice it’s a no brainer.
    Look at it this way, if Pierce were to leave early and Clement were to transfer would you be comfortable going into next year with three backs? That’s three backs on the roster??? And please keep in mind one of those three has had a history of injuries.
    You can’t just take a wide receiver and move him into running back. any good program has four if not five running backs on the roster at all times and honestly, there’s nothing wrong with having six.
    And You couldn’t concoct that scenario for the other top 10 programs as they routinely recruit running backs with ease. If you’re talking about us being a top 15 or 20 to 25 program I guess that would be understandable but definitely not acceptable. We are a top 10 program that shouldn’t have no problem recruiting running back’s so there is at least enough depth to never have to worry. Last I’ll leave you with this always have to be thinking ahead to the future. unfortunately in the past we have had coaches that not looked ahead to the future and left us in a hole with not enough OL, too few skilled position players, etc. RB is an easy one and we are making it hard.

5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You had 2 guys bolting early, not one....which is by far the most unlikely factor. One guy has a big enough year to go early it likely means the other guy doesn't. Three the following year wouldn't be ideal, it would be scary, but they would almost certainly pick up someone if that somehow became the situation. Just like last year, they could have picked up one of those guys we passed on if they didn't have Lingard already wrapped up.
    That said, Clement had 3 carries for 48 yards and Wright had 12 for 24....so we probably could have played without 4 or 5th back.
    5 is a normal number for scholarship RB. That's what we are at, that's what we will be at next year barring attrition. IF we have attrition I expect them to add another back. IF they lost 2 the question becomes do you add just 1 and stay at 4. That likely depends on how many initial counters we have, how comfortable they are with the returning guys, and what talent is available.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think you are both right today but only one will be a year from now. So who knows. It would be interesting to revisit this in a year because one of those two different scenarios likely come to pass.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    You're right about that for sure. But IF we were to lose 2 of the 5 I would bet the house they pick up a 4th RB before the 21 season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Exactly. You would have to

9. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    I just feel a transfer is imminent at some point with 1 of 2 guys. Gosh forbid an injury. I did say one may leave early and I feel with a good year Pierce could surprise and do that. Bottom line is we need to recruit running backs and I worry that 2 in one cycle is asking a lot.

10. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Probably, but you can't recruit to that hypothetical. 5 at RB is pretty much as stocked as you can get in a one back offense.

It certainly is if you are talking about having a shot at two top end guys. Hopefully it's one of the higher end guys talking up UF right now, and then you go find a less heralded guy that wants the opportunity at UF. Luckily RB is the one one position where that strategy is most likely to pan out.

• Winner Winner x 2
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I know the NFL drafts on potential and that Pierce has it(and then some), but absent a breakout season has he done enough to project in higher rounds?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    It is hard to imagine Mullen ever allowing 6 scholarship RB on the roster, considering the offense he runs and the rotation he usually does to limit injuries. Even if catastrophes occurred, the coaches always have contingencies for moves of personnel versus capable walk ons. See UK QB position last year. Assistant coaches would be very unhappy with 6 RB. That is almost doubling the position versus other positions in an 85 man roster, and RB is not as crucial in his offense as other skill positions.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    No, he needs to stay. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    No, but rounds 4-5 would not surprise me. Got some solid tools if given the opportunity.

15. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Mullen’s track record here ( according to most of this board) is that he is very very picky about green lights with RB’s, see Parrish, Drennon, Knighton, A. Clayton.
    I guess my point is that Dan would have to go against what he’s done in the past to get two running backs in a cycle. “Less heralded guys” in the past have not been given green lights.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    So, wonder what will be the net gain from the current 2021 class? We're sitting at 23 now. My prediction is that we lose three, add five, and, leave two open for transfers. I will admit that this prognostication, by the way, is based on nothing. Just a guess. What's yours?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. beachgator23

beachgator23 GC Legend

Apr 14, 2007
    Currently Pierce would not be drafted. Especially as a RB, he may want to stay in college, get his degree, and build up his draft stock with some prolonged success. Many players need to invest in themselves not play the NFL hopium lottery. Perrine is a great blueprint of what to do here.

Only reasons to play the hopium lottery (7-UDFA projections) are that you are off track academically and are incapable of a comeback OR if you are about to be kicked off the team/suspended for an undisclosed transgression that hasn't been publicly leaked out.

18. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I wouldn’t bet on Pierce not getting drafted in the regular rounds. If Florida plays a schedule this year & the OL shows improvement he will rack up plenty of yards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Agree, after this year he’s rounds 4-6 if a solid year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    A decent year this year and he could leave and would be drafted in rounds 4-6. Has too many tools (with opportunity we will see them) to be undrafted after junior year.