Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Just a Couple or So Things 8/07/20

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Aug 7, 2020.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Slots left: Wilcoxson is scheduled to enroll at UF late August. This will open a slot for 21 class.

Chief Borders is very pro UF but says its 50/50 with UF and Stanford. Perhaps the turmoil in the Pac 12 will factor in. It would for me.

I have UF at 21 slots and I am led to believe the remaining slots will be on defense unless an OL they like pops up.

Collier will announce on Monday and I believe it will be UF.

Leonard Taylor to the Canes was not a shock if you were paying attention. That said, the staff will stay on him until signing day.

Marshall: My odds at this time and Collier could impact these odds are 40 Bama/40 UM 20 UF.

Jeremiah Williams: Some smoke to UF but Auburn still the favorite IMO.

UF is still the favorite for Langston and still working on Tunmise.

Wilson: Once UF had Wilcoxson enrolling early, I believe they decided to pass on Wilson. I was not told that, more of a connecting the dots thing. Before Kamar reclassified I believe they would have taken Wilson.

RB: I still do not see one for this year. Se la vie.

Candy

• Fistbump/Thanks! x 12
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Winner x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Thank you Candy

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Getting is good, we all eat...

Hope we wind up with the Chief

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I'm sure it's more about Wilcoxson but I wonder if Brenton Cox's situation played into the Wilson decision as well. I have a feeling he'll be eligible to play for UCF this year, but probably wouldn't have been here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. mkfgator

mkfgator Senior

Aug 28, 2019
    I know a lot of folks think we just don't recruit RB's very well and maybe our recruiter at that position is not very good. I don't want to believe that. There are so many factors going into a kid's decision about where, when and how re choosing your college. My sons were recruited to play at small schools. That may be a different situation bc they are more realistic about their future in football. But my guess is that if my son were a 4 or 5 star RB, he would expect and want almost immediate PT. Fla is a big time school competing for the best players in the nation.Given many of these kids are confident , or prima donas in some instances,and want to get out of school early to take a shot at the NFL, I expect they will highly consider a school that can give them immediate PT. Miami has a great name bc of its history. Yet, the team sucks right now and has the last few years. Given that "perfect storm", they can sell the promise of an upcoming resurrection to a recruit, with the recruit being a huge factor in immediately bringing it about through immediate PT. We used that tactic. Everyone does. I don't know how many RB's we have on the roster right now, but my last count was 5. We might be concerned about the future, as we should as coaches and fans. But, I don't think a great HS RB gives a damn about doing any school any favors over his own best interests. How much of a factor do you think that is this year in our RB recruiting Candy, and do you think it will it play into our favor next year at that position? Thanks always for your insights.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Dont overthink it....they didn't have a RB that was uncommitted last cycle that they loved enough to want to bring in and was ok with Lingard being the only back last cycle (some rumors though say there was a few hs RB's that would have committed but Mullen passed).

The 2021 cycle, this cycle, they aren't going to jump to take a RB because they want to see how the RB room looks after the season (if anyone declares for the draft or transfers). If the room stays the same they will pass on a back. If there is any sort of attrition, they'll bring in a back.

Basically, they'll take 2 backs in the 2022 cycle. You can all but take that to the bank

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Rather than give you a disagree I will just say that I respectfully disagree with most of your take.

Miami is a little bit different of a situation but BAMA, Ohio State, Georgia etc are logjammed with talent yet keep pulling more talent. Something is up although I don't know what for certain.

I'm also not a doom and gloomer and think that while we arent recruiting at elite level we have upgraded our roster substantially and have great coaching fornthe first time in almost a decade

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. gatorpower

gatorpower GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's the pitch every new coach their can claim. They have had four head coaches since they won their last title (in anything; even conference title).

That's 4 different coaches bringing Miami back to their elite status. I heard something yesterday from a Miami fan that 1) makes sense and 2) screams of the delusion down there.

The claim is that Diaz is not really going to work out down there and he's expected to be fired. Either during this year or the next year. The players are also low-key buying into the lame duck coach situation. They're not going to Miami to play for Diaz.

They're going to Miami to play for, wait for it, Urban Meyer.

Guys like Gregory Rousseau (and more may opt out) are going to take the free year so Miami can make a national title run in 2022 with Urban. That is the rumor.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Creative Creative x 1
  9. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    What are they going to pay Urban with? Free drugs?

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    I could never see him going there, but he'd be an absolute monster recruiting down there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. okcgator

okcgator All American

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    Thanks as always for the info Candy.

12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I can see it happening because he can't stand spending time with his family. He tried that and it didn't work out. I guess it made his esophageal spasms even worse, so why not coach?

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. ufmc84

ufmc84 Junior

Aug 13, 2017
    Urban either turns into UCLA Chip Kelly or they go on an incredible 80s style 5-7 year run with that talent and that conference.

14. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Man aren't they still paying Richt, paying Temple to get Diaz out of that contract, would have to pay Diaz the remainder of his Miami salary, AND then pony up big money for Urban AND his staff?

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. severnt

severnt Junior

Feb 2, 2012
    I seriously doubt Urban Meyer would take a job that puts him in head-to-head competition with Florida with Dan Mullen. Just out of respect for friends and professional associations.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. avgator2000

avgator2000 Junior

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    A lifetime supply of heartburn meds

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    The palmetto 5 thing wouldn't really rub me wrong at all if it wasn't on the back of avantae and Walker's situations. Those 2 combined with flips during these pseudodead periods has to raise some eyebrows

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    There is some logic to that. I know UF did not expect a waiver on Wilson.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I’m a little confused about DB recruiting. We landed a haul of pretty good prospect last cycle and appears we have four ir five committed. Sometimes when we really need a position and the roster is screaming for talent we come up short. How is this staff landing so many DB and now posible Collier to finish the class? Is it that some won’t play DB or take as many as possible and hope several a class rise up?

This DL class could be very good. We need need five or six.

Thank you because all too often a post with several or more points of information or opinion gets the disagree with no explanation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Yeah there is no rule about having to explain one's disagreement but in the interest of a forum why wouldn't you explain why? At least that's how I see it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1