Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Judge Luttig warned us

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by ursidman, Jun 30, 2022.

1. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC
    In an OP-Ed, tweets, and J6 testimony Judge Luttig warned us what the minority was going to do.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/02/14/2024-coup-electoral-count-act-luttig/
    Donald Trump is telling us exactly how he intends to rerun his coup attempt, should the conditions align for it in 2024. He regularly flaunts his view that attempting to overturn his 2020 loss was the correct thing to do, even as he seeks to install loyalists, one by one, in positions of control over the 2024 election.

Luttig minces no words, declaring that Trump and his allies pose a “clear and present danger to our democracy.” Luttig says they are preparing to “exploit” the ECA to “seize the presidency in 2024” if Trump or his “anointed candidate is not elected by the American people.”

Well, here it comes. The SCOTUS has agreed to hear a case that could allow state legislatures to set rules for federal elections. How broadly will that go?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. ursidman

ursidman VIP Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bug Tussle NC

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  3. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Democrats have an even higher moral obligation to pass a law to add seats to the supreme court for the sake of our democracy. It will be up to Biden whether he wants to sign it were it to make it to his desk.

• Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! x 5
    • Come On Man x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  4. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Ah yes, the long-standing moral obligation to correct any situation where Democrats don’t get precisely what they want.

Edit: Before everyone loses their minds this is, at least with respect to this case, somewhat tongue in cheek.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A lot of the people who think China is the enemy sure want to live in a country exactly like it

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I don’t agree with everything the Supreme Court has done but I also never agreed with laws that were passed by a much more liberal court. The hysterics and over dramatization that has gone on over some the rulings is ridiculous.

The Supreme Court did not ban abortions, degree women as chattel, or make our nation the Hand Maidens Tale.
    They gave the power of ruling in abortions to the states.. and the states are where people should be fighting this.

The Supreme Court brushed the EPA back and said that Congress should have the power to make sweeping policy changes not unelected govt bureaucrats. They did not say that everyone will soon be dying of air poisoning or that the EPA should be disbanded

The Supreme court favored the coach praying.. which I disagree with.. but Muslims, Jews, and other groups should be rejoicing. It opens up rights for them as well.

The ruling about New York gun laws did nothing to change gun violence in the streets. And yet people acted like we would have show downs at high noon now.

I don’t agree with all of these rulings.. some I strongly disagree with.. but over reacting, making ridiculous claims with hyperbole, and flame throwing for attention isn’t the answer.

Vote at the state level. Atop pushing the pendulum so far to the left ( which is what got us here to start with… ) Fight for the middle ground where most Americans live. Most of us do not want the extreme swings we are seeing.

This doesn’t take hyperbole, it doesn’t take fear mongering, it doesn’t take pack the court… please don’t open that can of worms. It takes work. Something no one seemed to want to do.
    Democratic congress didn’t even try to protect Roe V Wade. Democratic congress tried to vote for unlimited abortions up to the moment of birth… why? Fight the middle ground not the fringes!

New York makes it all but impossible to get a carry permit why? Fight the middle ground. Congress could have done their job and worked with EPA and found the middle ground… but they are far more worried about raking in their money and playing kick the can.

Sorry for the rant. Just tired of it all. Everyone acts like a petulant child that doesn’t like the rules but no one wants to do the work the work to make it happen.

• Winner x 8
    • Disagree Bacon! x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Dislike x 1
  7. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    The work of making the rules is basically hoping on old person dies unexpectedly/retires and you happen to control the senate and the presidency

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Courts don't pass laws . . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    I disagree. The work states with winning the votes in individual states. The work begins by congress making and passing laws that work… not listening to far left or right wing nut jobs. But congress doesn’t want to work.
    It’s easy to blame a conservative leaning SCOTUS when it goes against you. It was easy to blame the left leaning SCOTUS when Roe v Wade was passed the first time. Instead … the left needs to start working on winning the middle.
    And to be honest that may be hard for the left. They are such a BIG tent, so many special interest groups that they need to cater too that finding common ground in the middle is going to be tough.

10. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer VIP Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Democracy is in danger. The Republican politicians on the Supreme Court are not only failing to protect it, they are actively attacking it. I know what expanding the Supreme Court will do, yet I also know that it is a necessary evil right now. The Supreme Court (and calling it a "court" is being generous) is itself a threat to democracy in this nation. Its goal is to cement "conservative" minority rule.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Orange_and_Bluke

Orange_and_Bluke Premium Member

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    This thread you are calling hyperbolic is about a case where a state legislature could just throw out a popular vote and override the people, do radical gerrymanders that preserve their partisan lean in perpetuity, override their own constitutions, nullify the power of state judges. At least 4 justices are a vote for that. Why would any of that matter should there be a 5th? We barely have any democracy in this country as it is. We cant even get votes on things with supermajority support.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    They want all the states’ rights push again to create their own little countries, Europe without the Union if you will :) the founders would roll over at the lack of adaptation. Ymmv

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. DesertGator

DesertGator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Frisco, TX
    Ummmmmm, actually I'm fairly certain the FF would be in full support of States' Rights. They purposely wrote the document to create a system with a strong State and a weak Federal.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
  16. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    This is all you are good for now ... why do you even bother here anymore? At least you were entertaining when you started "fireworks are too woke" threads.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Orange_and_Bluke

Dec 16, 2015
    You don’t mind being the resident contrarian, I mean you’d quibble with a wall.
    I don’t mind calling your bs out. I understand that you don’t like being held accountable. Libbies gonna lib.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. rtgator

rtgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Screenshot_20220630-151503_Photo Editor.jpg

19. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    Your gifs are holding me accountable?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1