Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

(WBK) Jordyn Merritt is a Gator

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by BurkeGator, Sep 21, 2019.

1. candymanfromgc

candymanfromgc Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have to say, that was a great commitment video.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    What a video! Did she have any connection to UF or did Coach Cam just do a super job of recruiting her?

3. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Based on her statement I would say academics had a lot to do with her commitment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Junior

Mar 7, 2017
    The admitted naysayer chiming in...

Cam has had some great recruits sign on. I do think Cam has done a solid job of getting kids to at least give Florida a strong look (glass half full). My strongest issue is his coaching, not his recruiting. His first 2 years were the worst 2 years in program history in terms of record (glass half empty). And yes, I do think his concerted effort at turning over Butler's signees (particularly this bigs) was a terrible decision.
    I still think this year is boom or bust. He gains a little more leeway penning a recruit of this caliber, but there's got to be a difference on the floor and in the W-L column. There are no excuses this year as it's 100% his roster.
    Can't wait for the start of the season. Go Gators

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet GC Hall of Fame

Apr 15, 2007
    Maitland, FL
    I'm not sure it was the actual coaching that was the problem. When I tuned in to watch, the team looked very disciplined and fundamentally sound, and played hard. Just wasn't enough talent out there to win. Now that last part IS part of coaching at this level and so we need to see improvement and fast. Not sure how many wins that needs to be but I'm thinking we need to be .500 this season and then well over .500 next season. I think we will be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Premium Member

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    This year is not make or break for Cam..This was and is a 4 year plan to get us competitive and have a solid recruiting base.

Also Amandas bigs were not the kind of bigs that would be successful in this system, but he did try to keep one of them but she just was not having it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    How does Cam’s use of bigs differ from Amanda’s?

8. jw9156

jw9156 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I do not typically watch commitment videos but I really enjoyed that one. I hope she helps to get the Gators to where we should be - competing for SEC championships!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Looks like Brynn Farrell just committed as well. All NJ. Great 3 point shooter. Takes the ball to the hole aggressively. Looks like Cam is putting together a really good class this year.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    he likes his bigs more mobile, Hayes and Thomas did not fit that bill what he wanted. Thomas tried, but she is only about 6'1 and just didnt have the size for a post to compete inside on a constant basis.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Dut has the potential to be a real asset this season, Coach Lang is really working the forwards hard and it is paying off, Paige and Dut are making progress every day, Paige has put on 25 lbs and seems much more comfortable in her role.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BigIgator25

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    thanks for that inside info, I have seen Paige around campus and she looked significantly bigger and more fit. She got pushed around a bit, but when she was on the floor she made a difference on the boards. Dut seems to fit us so great how she plays, which is what Cam is looking for. I am excited and hope to get to at least 10 games at home and on the road this year total.

• Like Like x 2
  13. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    while the team was milling around talking to folks prior to VB I got Dut and chatted a bit I told her to make them show her the video of the Mississippi State bigs knocking our bigs around like bowling pins under the basket to giver he an idea of SEC WBK :)

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. middlepolitix

middlepolitix Junior

Mar 7, 2017
    Interesting. I know it's all but worthless to discuss past seasons, but I don't wholly agree. I agree Thomas struggled but she was mostly effective with her minutes and would've been valuable as an additional (and very much needed) big body. If you look at her number, she was as effective as Paige in less minutes, and if you project giving her Zada's minutes, it's pretty much a wash. You could project the same for Hayes with more minutes, although I think if she had stayed, she would've been the starter over Paige.
    As far as mobility, Thomas was not very mobile (or agile, to be more specific). Oddly enough, Hayes (to me) was exactly the mobile type of post Cam wants. Having one or both last year would've made a big difference, especially in conference play.

Regardless, it's yesterday's dead horse and we have 4 posts today. I think if he can get at least 24+ minutes from his starting posts and 12+ from the reserves, it'll make a big impact. Last year Zada was at 25, while Paige just couldn't stay out of foul trouble and only got 14 minutes per. I thought that was one area Cam severely lacked with "Amanda's posts." Paulina (who was a very subpar defender) & Haley played over 30 minutes per, while Mikayla & Jalaysha were both under 10 minutes per. If you look across the teams in the conference, that's pretty much the magic formula.

15. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Awesome video! UF #9 in veterinary medicine...

• Like Like x 1
  16. melrose12

melrose12 All American

Jun 25, 2019
    Who will led team in scoring this year?

17. swampgas44

swampgas44 Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Danielle Rainey

18. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    would be my guess today

19. EastTNG8TR

EastTNG8TR GC Legend

Feb 1, 2011
    Rainey would be the obvious pick but don't sleep on Lavendar. I think she is a major factor by years end... Also think Kristina could prove to be a weapon as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Lav is looking very good so far in practice, she and Dani are both smooth in their shooting form. Kristina is a very smart ball player and very skilled as well, sees the court well and has great effort every play, she is a coach's daughter through and through, the team is coming together well

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1