Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jim Leavitt to FSU

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Diesel350z, Sep 11, 2019.

1. FatherGoat

FatherGoat GC Hall of Fame

Apr 18, 2007
    More lethal stupidity. I suspect this will only create more issues and confusion for the players and coaches. It's a sign that ole Willie is bowing to the pressure from above. Good news indeed.

• Creative Creative x 1
  2. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    I t
    I think he’s been protecting his buyout payment from Oregon. Couldn’t coach this year and still get it but I could be wrong

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Don't forget that the S&C coach at FSU is the same one that was with Taggert at Oregon and implicated in the "punishment" workouts resulting in the hospitalizations. He was suspended for a time by Oregon for his conduct.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Well Leavitt caan beat a UCONN type. We know that...so this could really help against the likes of Wake Forest and Duke.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  5. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He's only an analyst. He isn't going to be coaching. But this is what Willie does. He keeps firing people hoping to find someone who can help him figure things out. Did it at USF too. Rest assured, as long as he's there we are fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a step up in the same sense as Briles was a step up, but with less impact. Willie has to look like he's doing something, which shows how hot the seat is after week 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    The writing is on the wall...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Seems to be the trend. "Your buy-out is predicated on no new job." Like a "non-compete" clause. That's a no-brainer for employers, yeah? What I want to know is "Who started getting coaches "buy out" clauses in contracts?"

9. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    I wonder if he is also going to be in charge of cleaning the spit out of the monkey mask or is he going to be responsible for putting the crayons and pencil erasers in the back packs?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    Yup. Which makes this perfect. Hopefully this improves that team to 7-5 type season!!

#taggertforever

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Maybe he has a bunch of masks he can bring with him...

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

That is as old as the hills. People hated on Foley for this, but it was already SOP by that point. Jeremy was playing a game that he did not create, but had to exist in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Gonna let y'all know something I got in an e-mail early this morning from someone at fsu. Taggart wasn't exactly happy about fsu bringing in Leavitt, because apparently, word going around in some circles is that Taggart didn't really want him here and feels threatened by it, but succumbed to the pressure to hire him as an analyst. Leavitt apparently applied as an analyst. Taggart was originally going to say no thanks to it, but re-considered. Basically, Leavitt was his only real option out there who knew Taggart's system, even though he and Leavitt apparently butt heads several times at Oregon too. I saw a lot of opinions on why Willie did not bring Leavitt with him to Tally, and one of them is no one here considered that they aren't exactly "best buds" and have different ideas how to run a football program. Leavitt is apparently hard to get along with anyway, a big control freak, wants everything his way, hence why he isn't on Cristobal's staff anymore.

And then you have Taggart, who doesn't like being challenged or told he's wrong.

But yeah, I was listening to fsu homer Preston Scott out of Tally on the car radio radio this morning and he was talking about this and some of the things he's said he's been privy to at fsu from sports beat writer Ira Schoffel.

He was literally talking up Leavitt as the fix-all to all of fsu's problems. He said "the offense looked better last weekend but now Leavitt can really help the defense". Yeah, he said the offense looked better last week, lining up players backwards and scoring 45 on ULM, and their last two scores were primarily because ULM couldn't tackle. He was talking about players not playing "for the team" and dancing around while behind and a general lack of team discipline.

Of course, Preston Scott has basically no idea what he's talking about. The PRIMARY problem at fsu is the culture of "me", laziness, and no discipline brought by Willie Taggart, not to mention their atrocious physical conditioning. Don't really care what some here who are praising Leavitt, but he's hardly going to make a dent in the complete mess at fsu right now, and further losses are only going to compound the problems. I for one think Leavitt's best days have passed him by.

The REAL reason I think Leavitt was brought there (and this is just my own personal opinion), is that he's a super-secret "coach in waiting" designed to be a quick, and much more cost-effective transition coach whenever they decide to let Willie go, and if Willie doesn't want to leave, from what I've heard, he better win 7 or 8 games this year. If he gets another losing record or just goes .500, he's done.

Just imo, Leavitt isn't going to have much impact on the issues within that team. Willie will continue to force his identity on that team while I think Leavitt would be happier just waiting in the wings watching taggart get himself fired. It wouldn't surprise me if Leavitt turned players against Willie so he can gain control. Maybe that's what the boosters and fsu wants, that I do not know. He'll fracture that team to get the head coaching job.

I've heard things that Leavitt was once a very good coach, but a bunch of stuff I hear now is that he's about half a fry short of a happy meal, but that's also the fsu AD's fault too, who obviously doesn't know anything about vetting coaches.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    He'll probably fracture that team more than help it imo. There's a reason why Leavitt didn't initially follow Taggart to Tally and why he isn't on Cristobal's staff at Oregon any longer. Leavitt is really difficult to work with.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I say 6-8. Even numbers you know

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    5-7 had a double meaning. :)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

17. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Agreed. And all subsequent coaches should kow-tow to the agent that first got a "buy out" clause into a contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but the other wheels say he's a pain the azz.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DoctorGator

DoctorGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    He was a fry or two short of a Happy Meal when he had USF ranked no. 2 in the nation in 2007. He's just a little different. He's a proven coach, but he is undoubtedly hard to get along with. I hope you are correct, and that he fractures the team. Of course, they can't get much worse. We'll see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1