Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jeremiah Smith

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by candymanfromgc, Sep 22, 2023.

1. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    It matters some the Florida State will lose a lot, but I don’t think it matters as much as summer making it out to be. I say this because Norvell has proven he understands the portal and what his team needs at a high-level add that into impactful recruiting, and he’s got it rolling. I want to make sure I say for the sake of clarity that the recruiting is important, but to win quickly you have to be good at the portal simply because most portal kids are 19-22 with time in the weight room and college nutrition plan. Hitting the ground running in today’s world as a college coach should be a given, and as we’ve said before, he might not be national championship contenders in first three years, but the portal has made it so winning in showing major progress should happen in year two.

2. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Hearing an awful lot of rumors about Smith and Florida State. Hopefully not true, but I’m not shocked me at all to see him flip to Florida State.

3. SuperMOM

SuperMOM GC Hall of Fame

Jan 31, 2016
    He's been a portal guy the whole time and has had 2 winning seasons in 4 years. If you get to year 5 and your players still aren't playing, there is something wrong. At some point, your recruiting classes have to start winning games for you more than your portal class does.

Billy is doing thing right. His recruiting classes will win before Norvell's classes will. I expect FSU to go back to winning 5 games next year unless they get a monster portal class.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    A lot of things you say I like, but I would disagree with you that Florida State will win five games next year. If you don’t think Norvell will work the portal and have another great year, I would respectfully disagree. I would also say Billy needs to win one of these two last games.
    Hoping our recruiting class finishes to 10. I saw where we were 12 now ( not sure which service).
    I really like Billy. Listening to him in a group and then talking to him. One on one. He is such a nice guy. I would like to see him work on more urgency with himself, and coaches, which I think would translate to players.

5. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    The issue is the portal isn't guaranteed to provide solutions at the positions of need every year. For instance last year had a good bit of talented QB's bit it hasn't been that way each year, same issue for lineman who are usually not plentiful in the portal. Usually a decent selection of WR's etc, , bit there are positions that just don't restock each year, FSU has done a great job thus far but I'm still not sold that the portal is truly sustainable as a primary source of talent

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep, but Norvell is trying hard to flip the script by using his QB to get good recruits to come to his school knowing full well he will need another portal QB1 to keep that class from transferring out when they don't play as well without their current QB, Jordan Travis. Especially when Travis leaves for the NFL draft.

Although they do have promising QBs coming in, I doubt they play like TJ is, right out of high school.

Lol... some "gator fan" negative repped this.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. toprowgator

toprowgator All American

Jun 24, 2019
    I agree, he'll need to hit another homerun in the portal to avoid a major drop off next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I haven’t looked recently, but usually Bama and George’s players don’t even start until the third year

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Every team has some sort of budget. Do you spend it on high school players to get the pipeline going or on immediate needs for the upcoming season. Napier‘s first two classes I would’ve said is better to stick with high school kids but it is time to hit the portal now along with a Strong highschool class.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    5 wins..they’re in the ACC. One of my toenail clippings could get 5 wins in the ACC

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    5 games? That’s a bit much to suggest

12. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    It would be all conference if not for the fungus.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. Endless Excuses

Endless Excuses GC Hall of Fame

Jan 13, 2010
    Swampville
    With the quality of teams in the ACC this year fungus or not I actually think I make it to the ACC championship and then my toenail clippings would be hosed by the ACC officiating.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    4?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. lizardbreath

lizardbreath GC Hall of Fame

Aug 30, 2017
    Pace, FL
    Well I certainly hope so.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    Not sustainable but If done right and you don’t wait too long you can get good players. It has to be done to help win games and reality is, we have to start winning games.

17. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    For us sure, for them, they will have a hell.of a time replacing their LARGE amount of seniors and Rs JRs they will lose. We already have our foundation built with young recruited players and just need to fill some holes with portal players, fsu till this year have not recruited HS kids very well and will struggle to fill what they will lose after this season. Jordan Travis, trey benson, Johnny Wilson and Keon Coleman are their stars on offense. Verse, Dent, and some others are the stars on defense , I believe they all gone after this year. This off season will be a test for them

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. shane4three

Dec 24, 2014
    For us yes, but have to keep all of our young stars. For sure other programs that are winning are contacting them.

19. fox

fox GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida Beachland
    I assume most players worth a nickel will have professional agents soon and the portal will see almost every player testing the market each year.

Some fans will love it but it'll be when I go to being simply mildly interested in college football as I am with NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2009
    I haven't had interest in the NFL for years. Used to watch both games, AFL/AFC on NBC and NFL/NFC on CBS that were televised on Sundays and then MNF. Haven't even watched the SuperBowl and the only reason I know who won the last one is because I talked to a Philadelphia fan who said that KC's coach was a cowardly and unsportsmanlike for running down the clock before kicking the winning FG and not giving the Eagles time to score. He obviously doesn't realize the goal of each game is to win. College ball almost has me at the same level of interest. I doubt if I hadn't grown up in Gainesville and loved the Gators from way, way back when I was a little kid, I'd be interested at all, anymore.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
    • Like Like x 1