Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jarren Williams leaving da U

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator1gear, Jan 24, 2020.

1. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    If he is unhappy with the environment at Miami, which may be the case give he had to be talked out of transferring by Richt already, then he should leave. But if this is for purely for a better chance at playing time it could be a big mistake given he has three years of eligibility and King is a grad transfer. Sometimes the best thing that can happen to kids is to have to sit behind veteran players and steadily improve while serving as a back-up before getting throw into full-time duty -- especially for such a complicated position as QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I thought he was awfully impressive against us, if obviously young and inexperienced (a lot of our sacks were his responsibility). I was kind of surprised later in the season to see he had lost his job - I expected him to grow into a really good quarterback.

• Agree Agree x 8
  4. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    He looked amazing against us.

Looked like complete crap against FIU, Duke, and La Tech.

A QB simply cannot play down to the level of his competition.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    ...or his offensive line and receivers...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Could be the locker room as well, seems like things fell apart, certainly don't know any details but clearly that club did not play to it's talent level later in the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  7. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 23, 2014
    Lack of development in all these units points to a singular cause: coaching. Keep it quiet or we lose Diaz too soon like Willie.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  8. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    We can't lose Manny too.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    From what I’ve heard he frequently broke curfew to go out partying the night before games. If your starting QBs head isn’t in the game then you’re pretty much screwed, even if you’re playing inferior opponents.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. 32250Gator

32250Gator GC Hall of Fame

Jan 4, 2013
    This.

The Miami newspaper had an interesting article about UM a few weeks ago & it painted Williams as an undisciplined poor team mate who was more worried about partying than winning football games.

Other than the UF game he was garbage most of the year. Not sure I see him winning a job at a power 5 school.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Sounds like big time Nole material

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    The story is many UM players cared more about partying than playing. Any coach who doesn't enforce a curfew the night before games is not much of a coach. These are 18-22 year old guys and I'm guessing more than a few Gator players would party before games if Mullen/Savage et al let them. Williams may be a bad egg but I think Diaz is the chicken.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. This should have made him a perfect,seamless fit in 305.

14. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Well Diaz may not be much of a coach, but I give him props for recognizing when changes need to be made. Their offense was trash so he got a new coordinator, and the QBs on the roster were trash so he brought in a mature grad transfer QB in King. The fact that Williams immediately hit the transfer portal lets us know he's a quitter who ain't about that competition life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. SeabudGator

Apr 23, 2014
    By this logic Jon Greenard, Trevon Grimes, and Lingard may be "quitters who ain't about that competition life" because they transferred. View Felipe that way too? People transfer for all kinds of reasons, stated and unstated.

As for Diaz, he coached a team that was so bad in year 1 he HAD to make coaching changes - lost to freaking FIU. Diaz failed so fast that the staff HE CHOSE just one year ago was fired - not a ringing endorsement. Maybe the problem isn't Diaz and it was bad staff he hired and players who "ain't about that competition life" (whatever that implies), but we will see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    Did Greenard, Grimes, Lingard and Feliepe threaten to transfer multiple times like Williams did? I don't think so. I'm one of the biggest advocates of kids transferring that you'll find on here so you can miss me with the whole "they transfer for all kinds of reasons" bit. However when a player has been threatening to take his ball and go home for 2 seasons, then gets a starting job, then loses it because he's busy smoking weed and partying and breaking curfew, then the team brings in another player at his position to compete with him because he's not reliable nor very good, and then he says "Screw this, I'm out".....yeah, I'll call that a "quitter."

I don't think Diaz is their long term answer, but coaches make bad hires all the time, especially in their first year. Some remain stubborn and refuse to change, others realize their mistake and try something new. Time will tell how that works out.

17. GoCocks3877

GoCocks3877 All American

Nov 14, 2015
    Sounds like Stephen Garcia.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Maybe he doesn’t believe in the program.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Carlos Dunlap says hello

EDIT: Mullen was gone in 2009 and we didn’t have Savage. But it happens...

20. GatorLuke

GatorLuke Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    The only way Miami got King to grad transfer there was to promise him the starting job. It won’t even be a competition for any other quarterbacks for the spring. In my eyes that’s probably why he transferred. Little silly since he could probably learn quite a bit from King.