Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jaguars decline Taven Bryan’s fifth-year option...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Juggernautz, May 3, 2021.

1. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    The final decision on a fifth-year option has rolled in.

Per Jeremy Fowler of ESPN, the Jaguars have elected to decline it for 2018 No. 29 overall pick Taven Bryan.

The move is not a surprise, as Bryan has started just 17 games since the Jaguars brought him in following their appearance in the AFC championship game.

Jaguars decline Taven Bryan’s fifth-year option

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is he just not worth first round money, and still good enough to play somewhere. Or is he done?

3. gator_lyn

gator_lyn All American

Oct 28, 2017
    He just couldn’t live up to the pick.

At the time, he was supposed to take over a former Bama DT, Marcelle Dareus, but he just failed to make that impact. A lot of times he just looked lost and confused. Probably a decent backup

4. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Shame, because he was a rock star at UF. Guess the next level was just too much for him.

That said, the stories of how his dad (former Navy Seal) was tough as nails is worth looking up. His dad accidentally shot himself thru the kneecap with a pneumatic nail gun at a remote cabin build and wrapped his knee in duct tape and drained the wound every night for a week. Never sought medical attention - just sucked it up. Taught Taven to be just as tough. Mad props to them even if Taven ends up out of the league sooner than later.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    I am shocked that his makeup did not translate to NFL success. It may have been something like "practice speed versus live fire speed" but in the trenches. I had hoped that his chance for the Jags was to be a left end in their 3-4 defense, which has more to do with engaging blockers and not making plays. Maybe this is a play to get his contract off their books with a hope he comes back with a better designed one.

6. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    He was hardly a rock star. In fact he didn't do much until his last year or so.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Jaguars decline 5th-year option on struggling DT Taven Bryan

Was going to cost $7.6 million that year (I believe guaranteed), which he just isn’t worth at this point. Urban says they want to keep him (maybe coach speak) but assume he’ll get another chance somewhere after this year

iirc he took a couple years to really develop and adjust to the SEC from Wyoming hs football before breaking out. He’s still only 25 so hopefully he just needs a little more time adjusting to the nfl

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  8. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    Bucs could use a cheap DE for run support and tying up blockers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. unclerob

unclerob Junior

Aug 14, 2015
    I was never that impressed With Taven. When he looked good, it was generally because Jordan Sherit had already blown up the play. Sherit made the offensive linemen look like they were wearing roller skates.

10. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I wish I remembered sherit like that! I remember a try hard effort guy who was often injured.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. kes

kes GC Legend

May 26, 2007
    DeLand, FL
    Casual Jax fan and haven’t heard his name since the draft. Forgot he played frankly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    You didn't miss anything.
    Aside from Freddy T. and RFN, our JaGators have been busts. "Sad Face" emoji.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Jawaan Taylor has been ok, right? CJ Henderson still promising?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    DOH!
    Absolutely correct.
    I had donned my "grumpy old guy" hat.
    Jawaan took a small step back and CJ flashed then got hurt. But still, you're correct. Hope springs eternal.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Perhaps this is largely due to the entire team being a bust for most of their existence. Hopefully Urbs changes that

16. ajjaxgator

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    Perhaps, Senor Skink, but of the1st Rounders, Dante has not gone on to stardom, Harvey did nothing and Taven has been a bust. Can he thrive somewhere else? So fizzle here, fizzle elsewhere tells me it was mostly self-fizzle.
    And yes, I HOPE/THINK Urbs can turn it around.

• Like Like x 1
  17. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Drafted Taven Bryan, could have had Lamar Jackson #becauseJaguars

• Like Like x 1
  18. mkfgator

mkfgator GC Legend

Aug 28, 2019
    Dante was not a full time starter with Jax, but he played a lot after finally recovering from his injury his first day of camp his rookie season. I want to say he had 10-11 sacks in '17 , but has not done much else. Locker room issues hurt him.
    Saying Taven has been disappointing is an understatement. Though a Gator, I was surprised the Jags took him in the first round. They could have gotten him in the third. Then, after thinking about it, I wasn't surprised bc watching the Jags' stupid drafting was like attending a seminar on how not to draft. Urban did a good job this year though.

• Like Like x 2
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    He brought home $8.4M in three seasons. He's set for life.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Workout warrior that never matched that athleticism and strength on field of play. Similar to fastest guys not making the best running backs and wide receivers.

• Agree Agree x 1