Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jags name a new HC coach. Not Leftwich.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Juggernautz, Feb 3, 2022.

1. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    Reports from multiple sources say that ex-Eagle coach Doug Pederson will take job!

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Juggernautz

Juggernautz Don't tread on me! VIP Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Yulee, FL
    If there's another thread before mine my apologies!

3. tarponbro

tarponbro All American

Feb 10, 2016
    I think Pederson has a good chance to do well as long as other people in the Jaguars organization don't screw things up. Time will tell, though.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. 06GATORS08

06GATORS08 GC Legend

Dec 12, 2009
    I'm good with this hire. Hopefully good for Trevor Lawrence.

5. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    Not a bad hire, but it seems like he's the only guy they could find who will keep the same GM on board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Why would Leftwich go to a team that kept the same GM that made it impossible for Meyer to succeed? Leftwich made the right choice not to go to that badly run organization.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. unclerob

unclerob Freshman

Aug 14, 2015
    Meyer was never going to succeed. He just doesn't have the right temperament to be a NFL coach.

• Agree Agree x 6
  8. staticgator

staticgator Senior

Nov 27, 2016
    At the very least this is not a disastrous hire. Pederson will be at least as good as Marrone. Will he be better? It remains to be seen if the Eagles went on that run because of Pederson or because of Frank Reich.

As far as the Jaguars dysfunction, Pederson has a Super Bowl and made between $15-20 million from the Eagles. He's set. This can be his last job.

9. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Not a bad hire at all.

WAY better than the process to get here. I think much of what happened was that the GM, who should have been purged just because he was a part of the whole mess, was a hindrance and because for whatever reason there were fewer openings than quality candidates. Pederson didn't get the considerations he probably expected and so Jax was better than no HC job.

If they now have a good (read good communications) brain trust they can turn it around. Need to clean out those players who just want a paycheck and not build a SB contender.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    BL dodged a bullet here.

Some coaches go anywhere just to be the HC without evaluating the situation. Good money in it, but the deck is stacked against that staff and team.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorTheo

GatorTheo Freshman

Jun 22, 2007
    Pederson was fired after a 4-11-1 season at Philly. That would be pretty good for the Jags.

• Funny Funny x 6
  12. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Frank Frangie thanks they hired the right guy.

Talk about the kiss of death.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Halo05

Halo05 Freshman

Nov 2, 2014
    As a lifelong Jags fan, I think this was about as good of a hire as we could've hoped for. A superbowl winning HC with an offensive pedigree is exactly what we needed.

As much dysfunction as the team appears to have, I think Shad Khan really does want this team to succeed. I think he's just learning first hand that building a superbowl winning team of coaches and players is about the hardest thing you can do in life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. mkfgator

mkfgator Premium Member

Aug 28, 2019
    I would like to know who these "multiple sources" are. They could be a bunch of drunk dudes looking for a bathroom or a really huge plant in downtown Jax. Didn't they hire Leftwich , fire Baalke and hire Wilson--all last week--based on "multiple sources" ? I don't trust the media any more than I trust myself driving 25 mph past the speed limit because I am late getting somewhere. These guys have to write something every 15 seconds or minutes to get the story out before someone else does (as if there is a special prize for speed over efficiency), thanks to social media aka social drunk driving.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I will refrain from commenting on this item until the all clear signal is issued. To many surprises this year already.

16. G8tas

G8tas GC Legend

Sep 22, 2008
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Live near Philly.
    Pederson is a good coach IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. northgagator

northgagator GC Hall of Fame

I realize that the announcement on Leftwich was that the "Jags set to hire Leftwich" and that the current news that the Jags have hired Pederson.

I want to give this item some time before another unexpected snag rises up for the Jags to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

19. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    Doug Peterson has won a Super Bowl - He was going to get hired this off season. If you are a head coach that focuses on offense, I think New Orleans is the best job out there. They have a front office that has seen where a dynamic offense can take you and will support a coach that can supply it.

20. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    Here's my take, it's good for Kyle T. Leftwich is very familiar with KT and I believe gives KT a better chance for competing for the starting position. Glad he stays.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2