Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jaden Gibson commits to UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ShadowCat, Oct 13, 2021.

1. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think that is certainly a significant part of this particular situation. Likely went into it with a bit of an adversarial mindset based on relationships that are valued (Evers family and Mullen).

Even if Napier didn't try to immediately contact directly or through BG (which I'm not sure I buy), it's obvious the Gibson family was going the passive aggressive route on this one as well. The 'how hard are you going to chase me' gambit.

Really a nothing to see here story on this one that the reporter decided to use for their own agenda in the piece.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I am tongue in cheek with that, but we do turn on our coaches quickly, and legitimately so with the last 3, as they all needed to go. IMHO, CBN is closest to what we should want as an up and coming coach. I like this hire much better than the previous 3. However, I disagree with how the receiver commits were surrendered so easily by him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The_RH_Factor

The_RH_Factor GC Hall of Fame

Aug 11, 2010
    We don’t know both sides of the story.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  4. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Do we really know either side’s story?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. scott frost

scott frost Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    Just my feeling, but he committed to UF, not CDM. I feel like the right thing to do is for the university to set up a system when there is a coaching change to continue a very honest communication with the recruit. Someone from the staff should have reached out.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
  6. capnpen

capnpen Sophomore

May 28, 2007
    It's common courtesy. I know the situation had to be incredibly hectic and there were a lot of details that needed to be handled. But these are kids' lives, and their futures depend a lot on where they play and go to school. I'd think that should have been more of a priority.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorKenW

GatorKenW GC Hall of Fame

Dec 29, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    if he wanted to go to UF then he'd have waited. His ship would have been there at Oklahoma and UF for Feb. he rushed it. oh well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Keep in mind, Napier pretty much did exactly what he said was going to do. People are entitled to disagree with his approach, but you can't fault him for following through. Note, Jaden gave Napier all of couple of days before he decommitted and the twitter message made it pretty clear UF was out of the running.

Excerpts from 5 Dec press conference IRT recruiting:

"But I think it's the most important thing that we do. I think the people we get into the building, the staff, the players. So we're going to evaluate the situation a little bit this week over the next 10 days or so. But you can expect us to be very conservative, very patient, trying to position ourselves for post-signing day to evaluate all the players that are left over, all the players in the transfer portal."

"And then when we do have our entire staff and organization put together, position ourselves for some really strong weekends in January, and then try to close strong in February."

"So I think it goes both ways in that regard. I think it's an injustice to them and it's an injustice to us to all of a sudden just hurry up and elope right here at the last second."

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  9. scott frost

scott frost Junior

Nov 16, 2017
    I agree, but I think a little communication goes a long way in this situation. If CBN takes the approach of wanting to re-evaluate the commitments, I think it's a great approach. However picking up the phone and reaching out to the recruits is the right thing to do, even if it's to tell them "I need to look at more of your tape, meet you and you family in person or just assess where your skill set fits with the team." It might even work for CBN to say if you want to be a Gator I need you to hold off until late NSD.

If CBN doesn't think the player is a good fit for the direction he wants to take the program, I think it's the right thing to do to let the player know early, and personally- as opposed to learning by social media.

Radio silence doesn't help us retain committed players, and it doesn't help players move on so that they can find a program that's the right fit for them.

My concern is I would hate for CBN to burn bridges with high school coaches, not because he didn't want a player, but because it was perceived that he didn't communicate effectively and timely.

I kind of think of this a breaking up with a girl.... there's nothing wrong with breaking up if you don't think the relationship is not going to last. However, you shouldn't do it by ghosting, texting or putting it out on the twitter sphere that you are already dating someone else.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    We don’t know the whole story. Obviously CBN didn’t prioritize Gibson for whatever reason based on the info in the article. We will be fine here. Not worried about this at all.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    We will see if he pans out. I think he will and I believe it would have been a good idea to keep him in the fold. I understand BN cannot discuss a recruit but I will trust what the family says. It is NOT a small thing that instead of playing at UF this recruit will now be playing so far from home. It means a lot.

Giving BN benefit of doubt is understandable but look at this offer list. Jayden Gibson, 2022 Wide Receiver - Rivals.com

He's kept some very questionable committed OL but didn't have time to contact this player, a legacy(?), a life long Gator? Not a single WR in the class so far and he lets this guy go to Oklahoma? It's at best a question mark. If I am that family I am insulted because I see what the coach has allowed to stay and sign.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    What do you think happen logically? My guess is that they didn’t initially hear from the new staff and that’s what they are talking about. When they did hear from the new coaches, they got the same message of can they sign later or send in workout videos to allow further evaluation. I’m thinking this is the difference between the guys that signed early and the guys that didn’t. The staff had time to evaluate and wanted them in the class. Gibson wasn’t prioritized for whatever reason. Great offer list, just wasn’t offered by UF at the end of ESD.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    What date was BN hired
    What date did JG decommit on
    Kid was close with Evers family?
    Was there no contact or just not “enough” contact.

I hadn’t heard he was a legacy, is this true or bs

Organizations can never comment on these situations so they aggrieved always gets free shots.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. avgator2000

avgator2000 All American

Feb 2, 2019
    Oswego, NY
    His offer list is not that impressive. Looking at it now and the interest in him are from a bunch of middle of the road teams or worse in their respective conferences. I don’t think he was offered when Riley was at Oklahoma because quite frankly he had alot better committed to him. Remember what Napier said he looks at length and verified speed. Speed has been this kids knock. Now he has a pulled hammy. Those can be a pain in the rear no matter at what age. Here’s my theory, kid got his feelings hurt because he was told send in tape. He chose not to so we’re done here. Evers decommits because he didn’t like the message of put off signing so we can evaluate you. These two kids are of the opinion that they don’t need to work out for anyone. I find it strange that these two were in such a rush to hop on the Oklahoma train, like within days. Personally, this kid hitched his wagon to Evers. That is a bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see if it works out for them.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
  15. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    What's not impressive is our WR class this cycle, our roster, and our depth.

Here's another thing that makes this a head scratcher for me av, this guy from Texas just received an offer. Notice something about his offer list?
    DJ Allen, 2022 Wide Receiver - Rivals.com
    It's just weird to me, we had one in the hand but seem to have let it go. I understand we have to have fits but also, in today's environment if a kid doesn't work out you can literally tell him to transfer and he goes to play elsewhere without having to sit out a year. IMO it's not really unfair or selfish to take a guy that may not work out as long as that player wants to give it his best shot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Nor would we expect it to be at the moment. Other than raising star average on the recruiting sites, JG isn't adding anything to the roster other than another big body at WR.

Napier is definitely going to need to find some speed in this class, but 'missing' on a high drama possession receiver that CBN didn't recruit isn't much of a concern at his point.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. DieAGator

Apr 3, 2007
    At the moment it doesn't make sense to me, that's all I can say. In the back of our minds we have to hope it doesn't work out well for the guy so we can look back and say we are lucky our coach made the decision. But I don't want to do that. I prefer he become all world and a bright future in football because that's best for him- our loss.

18. gatorinla

gatorinla Freshman

Nov 20, 2017
    Why do you prefer this? Do you prefer Georgia players to be all world too? I have no ill will towards other team's players but I certainly do not wish them to be all world unless they are a Florida Gator.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    CBN was specific in his introductory presser in stating that he would not do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. thom1507

thom1507 All American

Oct 13, 2019
    Did you watch Allen's highlights? Deep threat, adjusts to the ball in the air very well. I can see why.

Not that Gibson won't end up being very good as well, but I think Allen will see the field wherever he goes much sooner than Gibson. Gibson will need a couple of years to bulk up otherwise he would get abused in the SEC.

• Agree Agree x 1