Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Jaden Gibson commits to UF

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ShadowCat, Oct 13, 2021.

1. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    You context is kind of funny “theSooner he gets”....kind of ironic.

2. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    The issue was he was willing to visit and he recruited by Oklahoma before signing day, but not be recruited by a new coach at UF that had been there less than a week and had not hired any staff. The new WR coach they hired would likely have established a relationship, gotten to know the player and family, and perhaps offered. I think the family and player reacted like the Evers family that a coach should simply sign players without getting to know them, reviewing their tape, … They we’re insulted at having to prove themselves to the program. Had these kids not wanted to both enroll early in January, probably would have been okay, but both said we need to find a program in a week. Speed dating is the way Ever’s Dad categorized the process. Unfair of families to expect a coach in his first few days when has not hired anyone, is trying to arrange to move household and family, and navigate campus to contact everyone before ESD.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. stpgator

stpgator Junior

Apr 12, 2007
    St. Petersburg
    I think he felt disrespected and signed with OU because this thread misspelled his name.

• Funny Funny x 5
  4. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    I think he will be replaced.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. cogators

cogators Recruit

Dec 3, 2021
    The unprecedented coaching carousel and time pressure with ESD is going to have to change. Schools will make panic hires and as we know this doesn’t end well. The Gibson situation doesn’t sound like Napier’s MO either - he’s all about the relationships and does a damn good job with players and families from the quotes I’ve seen from recruits.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. alvaro319

alvaro319 Junior

Sep 10, 2018
    Good points

7. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    It's always our fault for everything. Coaches getting fired...kids going to other schools...etc...etc....

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I don't think you are catching on to the idea that Gibson's window to get a commitable offer was closing at ESD. He didn't hear from CBN, so he had no offer on the table. Sadly he did the right thing and moved on. Now CBN's receivers recruiting board looks much worse than the 3 committed we lost to Bama, Georgia and OU. Just like the previous staff we have pilloried regarding their recruiting CBN will be using the portal to paper over the recruiting misses from this year at a critical position of need (speed). This resonates with high school coaches. I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt later. CBN may be exactly right about his process or we may look back and think he was a lazy knucklehead for not picking up the phone to some recruits that were not linemen before ESD.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Also need to consider in this case that JG is a clone of every other receiver on the roster for 2022: Length but not elite speed.

Napier may be prioritizing finding guys that will stretch the field rather than adding an 8th possession guy.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. okcgator

okcgator GC Legend

Sep 24, 2015
    Dayton
    I’m not sure about Gibson but wasn’t Evers given the ok to sign on ESD by Napier when he visited?

11. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    His parents gave the impression in an interview that he was but never said outright that was the case iirc. He actually got some face time unlike some others.

12. kryptonite

Dec 12, 2008
    He is faster and taller than Fraziars who played. He would be an upgrade, but CBN also didn't recruit the speedy guys either.

13. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan All American

Apr 12, 2007
    Phone works both ways. :alligator:

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. gatorvette66

gatorvette66 GC Legend

Dec 14, 2021
    Someone needs to edit the title of this thread or lock it. This is old news and seems to be heading in the direction of blaming the new coaching staff because some kid changed his mind and de committed from us.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 1975Gator

1975Gator GC Legend

Jan 5, 2012
    “Lazy” ? You can’t be serious.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    how? jayden and his mom don't have napier's number. doubt they have scott stricklin's (sp?) either. i personally wouldn't recommend contacting any of mullen's staff. the gibson family is just waiting by the phone hoping to hear from someone at uf.

i don't necessarily blame coach either. it's really just a glitch in the process that has been made worse by esd. i will say i appreciate coach going to see the evers family in person. he didn't have to do that, but he respectfully did so. in that same light, he probably should've at least called the kids he did not want. if he did call all of them, then that's all you can ask for. again, just a glitch in the process.

• Like Like x 1
  17. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Prob went to ou for coaching stability too…V has been there since like December. #stability

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan All American

Apr 12, 2007
    They’re close with Evers. He has the number. Tons of other media connections. Get in the car and drive an hour up the Turnpike.

These kids crave the attention and someone didn’t get enough. And coach can’t comment.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
  19. sHiNeR2

sHiNeR2 GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    really? this kid was one of our top rated recruits left when cbn was hired. he's expected to relentlessly chase down coach, while he has uga ou and several other power 5 schools after him?!?!

i love florida, but if that's my kid, he's doing the same thing. he wanted an offer and waited some time. at some point he has to worry about classes getting full and his opportunities shrinking.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. ozgatorfan

ozgatorfan All American

Apr 12, 2007
    I love Florida. Both alumni here. If my son is 149th rated 4 star, I’m in the car. I can drive to those games. I am not flying to Okie every weekend.

Before I did anything I’m sure my wife would know who to call. Evers pushed him to switch, most likely. Not enough love immediately from the new coach(is the excuse).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1