Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It's Trump who hates America

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Trickster, Jul 19, 2019.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Nah, that's just a really weak excuse. Allows you to justify anything. Hey, look how AOC and Omar are getting the right all lathered up. They're having a great time.

• Winner Winner x 3
  2. dynogator

dynogator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    I do focus on what he does. Every Executive Order, every judicial pick, every government shutdown, and all his foreign affairs efforts. The tweets are just a hilarious sideshow.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. homer

homer GC Legend

Nov 2, 2015
    I think they might be. They are certainly getting attention using the Trump example.

DT is not a normal person. I think he’s having fun being president. He sure likes the attention.

4. sovietgator

sovietgator Lighten up Jan Brady (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!!)

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Many of the things being said about Trump on this board are almost verbatim what was said about Obama. And Bush. And Clinton. (Bill, not Hillary). Each side sees what they want to see. And, to some extent they are right.

I can't stand Trump. Im.pretty sure he is an awful individual. Of course, I can't stand mainstream media either as they have shown to be untrustworthy and agenda motivated time and time again. And I didnt like Obama either. Mostly his policies.
    I wouldnt vote for Hillary and I think most who voted Trump feel that way. Do I wish we had a moral moderate to win a primary. Yes!!! Do I think it will happen? Nope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sovietgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Oh yeah, that too among many others!

I've been following Trump's antics and lies for over 35 years. I knew from day one he was nothing but a white version of Don King. It has nothing to do with him being a Republican President. I damn sure didn't vote for Hillary, as I can't stand that shrew. I'm actually hoping proof of Bill Clinton's (and the Donald's too) involvement comes out in the Epstein fall out so it will make Hillary look like an even bigger moron for not leaving him after the Lewinsky scandal.

I'll never understand the leg humping, emotional attachment, and idolatry with vacuous politicians and their respective political parties. Same goes with the political name calling/labeling and weak insults. You can call me a libtard, lefty, snowflake, or whatever you may choose. You can even call my mother a whore (even though she's deceased) for all I care. It doesn't phase or insult me in the slightest. I come from a bit tougher background than that.

But, if it makes you feel like a bigger and better man, and gives you more of an emotional attachment with your wannabe tough guy Dear Leader, then have at it buddy. In the future, I think it should be a mandatory requirement that all US Presidents should have valuable and crucial WWE Pro Wrestling experience like Trump. He's the ultimate Pop Culture President and heel. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    Interesting. I'll grant you that perhaps some of Trump's supporters "see a country that’s leaving them economically, socially, culturally etc and are fearful." I have often said here and elsewhere that rising income inequality - which happens to coincide with wage stagnation and the increase in these "fears" you mention - is the greatest internal threat to America. The American worker has every reason to be fearful of and outraged about that condition.

What drives Trump, however, is not populism, but demagoguery, and he is a master at it. He has done virtually nothing to address income inequality - that is, the short and long-term financial welfare of his supporters. Rather, he has repeatedly and in myriad ways appealed to their baser instincts, the primary one being our tendency to want to blame someone else for our woes. There is not a single problem of any consequence in America that has been caused by, or is likely to be caused by, immigrants, illegal or otherwise, or people of color. Almost all of our problems have been caused by those persons and institutions who control wealth and the means of production. Neither Trump nor the GOP wants to focus on the real problem. They have created a boogeyman and focused attentions there. That is the essence of demagoguery, not populism.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. mutz87

mutz87 Complexified VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Not following why the paper matters when it's an opinion piece?

10. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I don’t disagree with much of this. But I will say that you can run on a populist platform and be a demagogue at the same time.
    If you take him and his unique brand of cray cray out of the equation, much of what he actually ran on was populist, it’s why he won the rust belt (which won him the election).
    You will also notice that almost all of my posts here are on his demagoguery as you put it, because I honestly believe that while there is clearly a segment of his base that thrives on it, the larger number of Republicans consist of those who would just never vote D and see him as the lesser of two evils, people that don’t agree with his approach but are happy they finally have someone with some fire in the White House, and those that are willing to overlook his personal sins because he is advancing an agenda they like.
    It’s those groups of people that need to come around, if they ever did, his behavior could still be altered because he can’t win an election without them. As I have said here several times, it’s those people that frustrate me as much or more than him. He is who he is, but his power comes from blind loyalty by people that should know better. All they would have to say in polling is “tone it down” and he wouldn’t have a choice if he wanted another term. But for whatever reason they seem unwilling to do so, regardless of the damage he causes. It’s beyond frustrating.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sovietgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    Spot on assessment. Ever rising inflation goes along with income inequality and wage stagnation.

I know far too many people that are middle to upper income that blame all their self inflicted misery and problems on immigrants, welfare recipients, minorities, and people of opposing political views or religions.

And most of their problems actually stem from indoctrinated tribalism, affluenza, and Keeping Up With The Jones'.

12. sovietgator

Apr 3, 2007
    Down On Da' Bayou
    I agree with all that. Off the top of my head, Hillary (who was a horrible DEM candidate) won the popular vote by about 3 Million votes with a roughly 50% voter turnout. But Trump won those few Swing States in the EC by only 100K votes.

I don't think anyone can declare 2020 as a lock. Especially Trump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. busigator96

busigator96 Hooked since summer 1997!

Apr 10, 2007
    Gainesville, FL

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s a relatively liberal or center left paper that usually publishes liberal or center left opinions. Their actual reporting is accurate, but it doesn’t mean they are dead center in what or how they report it.
    That was all.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Trickster

Trickster VIP Member

Sep 20, 2014
    North Carolina
    I wonder if morality ("principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior") can be put on a scale similar to the one you used, and most of us use, to describe our or another's political philosophy.