Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It's looking like Eddy Pineiro won the job

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gocartmozart, Aug 18, 2019.

1. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 9
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  2. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    nice find, good for EP, I figured he would be on a roster somewhere before game 1

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. thekentuckygator

thekentuckygator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2018
    Kentucky
    Kids a success story. Glad he was a Gator.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    What amazed me about Eddy was not just his leg strength but how quickly he gets the ball elevated. No low line drives from him.
    Wouldn't surprise me if Fry latches on with another team.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    It seems to me the NFL has a system to get a placekicker: You tryout anyone but you do NOT hold onto a rookie. I guess they think the chances of failure is too high and so...toughen them up mentally by telling them "sorry, but you need to go sell insurance for a while."

I sincerely don't know how someone who could kick as well as Eddie could have been cut, unless he had some MAJOR yips last year.

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. antny

antny GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    If the bears had him last year maybe they wouldn't have choked against the eagles in the playoffs. Of course the offense followed by their defense choked the game away but had Eddie kicked its likely the eagle player wouldn't have deflected the kick because as tegator mentioned the trajectory of the ball off of his foot is amazing.

Or is it eddy?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    To be honest, I've never been a huge Eddy fan. I think he was a big upgrade to the previous kickers we had, but the overall hype did not scream NFL kicker what-so-ever. He shanked how many kickoffs? He missed some pretty important field goals too (see the Michigan game in Dallas for example, if he makes his field goals, it may be a different game). McPhearson is much better than Eddy from an accuracy standpoint (and doesn't shank kick offs). It's great that Eddy can make the 65-yarder, but that's his only bragging point.

Having said that, I am glad he has made it this far in the NFL thus far and hope the Bears keep him to give him a chance. I know his shanks and misses were probably due to a lack of experience, but the NFL doesn't care. It's perform or get out.

McPhearson is still better than Eddy at the end of the day. I wish we would give him the same praise we gave Eddy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. crl

crl GC Hall of Fame

Nov 8, 2008
    I agree with everything you said.

10. gocartmozart

gocartmozart Sophomore

Apr 10, 2016
    Ooops, you're right, he does spell his own name wrong

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    In 2017, Eddy was 17 for 18 on field goal attempts, with 2 makes from 50 yards and 4 of 5 from 40-49 yards out. Not bad, from an accuracy standpoint.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. theforevergator

theforevergator Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    Good on him. His miss was a big one versus Michigan. Could have changed the momentum. He was 21 for 25 in 2016. Again, better than what we had, but doesn't scream NFL kicker.

McPhearson only missed two field goals last year, yet we don't scream his name. We should, given he is better than Eddy in my opinion.

How many illegal procedures did he have due to his shanks? Great job to put the other team on the 35 yard line over 10 times during the season (my recollection).

13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Eddy's accomplishments should never be compared to our recent success. I know it is natural as fans but I was trying to compare his skills to what I see is the focus of the NFL. There really wasn't anything that Eddy did that told me "makes kicks inside the 40 yards, great for us, misses some but hits everything else, NEXT." His leg is/was...what a team wants. An All-Pro? Who the heck knows (no one knew that Tom Brady was) but I was not aware he blew his audition last year.

I think he has...using this lame quarterback line...a million dollar "arm." Does he have the old "10-cent brain?" I don't know but if he has the million dollar leg, don't you give it a try?

And to use what we fans don't really like, so what if he turns the corner after he leaves? Is that a reason to minimize his skills? I think he was damn good in a Gator uniform. So what if the next guy is "great?"

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Nagy stopped short of declaring that Pineiro won the job outright. o_O

15. Nostradamus

Nostradamus All American

Sep 18, 2015
    Eddy has the leg talent to be a perennial NFL kicker. He just needs more experience. Another year at UF workday helped.

I'm a fan, unlike some others here. Hope he sticks and makes the bears a better team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Eddy was one of the few highlights during a dreadful season. His energy was contagious. I hope he has a long successful NFL career and prove the doubters wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorRade

GatorRade Rad Scientist Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Was the most accurate kicker in the nation in 2017.

2017 Leaders | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    As a lifelong Gator fan and a longtime Bears fan, I'm always excited to see another Gator put on a Bears uniform. I have to believe that kicking that close to lake Michigan November through January will make him a better kicker.

Regarding Gator-Bears, the Tribune just finished their list of the best players in the history of the Bears. Three Gators made the list, Rick Casares, Wilbur Marshall and Neal Anderson. Pretty impressive given the legacy of running backs and linebackers from that team. Got a great feeling about Trey Burton's future here.

• Like Like x 4
  19. 21

21 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 24, 2007
    If Eddy has won the job it's well deserved... he was always a hard worker

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorChoice

GatorChoice GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    Rex seems to get zero credit for their Super Bowl run. I know he wasn't perfect, but it's a shame he seems to get zero respect.

• Agree Agree x 2