Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It's a sad day for my wife and I.

Discussion in 'GatorTail Pub' started by OklahomaGator, Dec 3, 2019 at 1:32 PM.

1. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    IMG_8137.jpg

We have to put our best friend down today. Yoda has lymphoma and is starting to suffer.

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  2. altalias

altalias GC Legend

Aug 13, 2008
    Very sorry, I've had to do it twice. I know it is hard. If I weren't a real man I would tell you when I saw your post I teared up just remembering how hard it was .

But, I am certain that Yoda had a better life because you were in it. Take comfort in that.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    So sorry. That was one of the worst days of my life when I had to say goodbye to our (15 year old) baby. No words will make this any easier, but I am so sorry for you and your family.

4. gator1gear

gator1gear Premium Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Hiram, Ga
    One of the toughest decisions a "fur parent" has to make. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. My Condolences.

5. AlfaGator

AlfaGator VIP Member

Aug 31, 2007
    So sorry Oklahoma. I can feel Yoda's beautiful spirit in the picture you posted.

We lost a dog to lymphoma. We treated him and gave him about 6 more good months; which is a lot in dog years. You know it's time when they start having more bad days than good days. Very hard to come to terms with. I finally realized I was doing this ( treating him with chemo) more for me then for him. It was a difficult lesson for me to learn.

This has always helped me get through the loss of a dog. Hope it helps you too:

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog he takes a piece of my heart with him. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of his heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are."--Cheryl Zuccaro

• Like Like x 2
  6. jaxbeachgator

jaxbeachgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Jacksonville beach
    Very sorry. Been down that road several times and it’s heartbreaking. Bet that dog lived one hell of a good life.

• Like Like x 1
  7. ecogator

ecogator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ocala
    My friend I feel for you. There are few worse days in one's life that the day you have to put down a beloved dog.

Google "Rainbow Road". I had it put on the boxes that contain my dog's cremated remains. It really helped me and lets me know that I will see my girls again one day.

Prayers to you and your wife.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Feel for you dude. We had to put 4 cats down in just a couple years. They were all about the same age and the calendar doesn't lie. Doesn't make it any easier but it is what it is. Remember the great times with Yoda. :)

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. GatorRev

GatorRev Ask me about CBD Premium Member

Pray for you I will

• Like Like x 2
  10. lacuna

lacuna The Conscience of Too Hot Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Redlands, Colorado
    Our heartfelt sympathy OK. Losing a faithful pet is the only hard part about having one. Take comfort knowing Yoda's suffering is over.

11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Awww man. So sorry, my Gator friend. May you and your family take solace in the fact that your beautiful pup lived a great life under your roof. Very handsome dog. I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Like Like x 2
  12. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Oct 29, 2007
    gainesville, florida
    sorry curtis, my jack russell is 13+, dont want to think about that day.

• Like Like x 1
  13. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    So sorry to hear this Okla. It sucks.

14. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Sorry to hear this. One of the great wrongs in life is the lifespan of a dog. They deserve more. Hope you find your next best friend soon. Will never replace the one you lost but it helps to fill the silent void that you find after you lose a dog and the house feels empty.

15. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    yeah. But dogs pack in the livin'. Their enthusiasm, lust for life & focus on the present probably does give 'em about 7 years to our squandered one. You are right. It is a sad void. Anyway, Okla, in dog beers, I'll have "one" for Yoda. &, I am truly sorry for your loss.

16. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Sorry for the loss.

We should all live a little more like dogs

• Like Like x 1
  17. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    I probably waited too long to take my boys to the Rainbow Bridge. They were brothers and I couldn't do it until I was sure I wouldn't feel guilty about either one of them. I still did. But I swear I heard two voices in my head thanking me when I went home without them for the first time. Sorry for your loss.

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I hope you and your family are ready/able to get a new pup soon. If/when you do, please share pics!
    In summer 2018, I got my first dog. I say "I," because my wife was with her family in Taiwan at the time. I was in bachelor mode and assured her I would take care of our new puppy, which we had carefully selected through a breeder recommended by some of her friends.

I drove a couple hrs to meet the breeder and pick up Angel, our poodle pup. Thought I was all ready for this. Had the best food, greatest toys, two different crates, harness, leash, treats etc. The breeder was very pleasant. As I was handing her the cash, she off-handedly mentioned how "Angel" is "naughty, just like her mother" who was supposedly some kind of show dog. Seems like the breeder took my cash, then jumped in her car and took off after that. :emoji_thinking:

So when this 3-month puppy was released from her crate to my possession, it was nearly impossible to place our carefully-chosen harness on her wiggly jiggly crazy body. Took minutes to attach the leash, given her fervent poodle energy. Somehow I managed to walk her over to the grass outside the Burger King where we met for the puppy exchange. She didn't seem to want to go potty, but I tried my best.

So we headed home. After about 1 day of reading articles on how to potty train, crate train, entertain, etc. I was nearly in tears as I entered the Pet Smart seeking help on how to make this whole puppy thing "work." I've got three degrees in education and thought that raising a dog would be easy. Oh, hell no. I had and still have so much to learn. There were so many nights with very little sleep. This transition occurred during the summer, when I was "off" from work. Thought it would be no problem.

After my wild learning curve, the wife returned from Taiwan and Angel had a whole new family member. The two of them get along like peas and carrots. We don't have children and my wife LOVES the dog. She has truly been a God's send.

Angel is now almost two yrs. old and about the best addition to our household that we could imagine. I had no idea what I was getting into with dog ownership (had always been a cat person), but I also had no idea how much joy Angel would bring into our family.

I share this story because it seems a natural part of the pet ownership circle. I'd never know the joys of dog ownership until I was late in my 40s. I know you and your family have experienced that joy and I hope you can regain it, whether that be with a new pup, or through other means. Peace and love to you @OklahomaGator. :emoji_dog:

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. OklahomaGator

OklahomaGator Jedi Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, OK
    We are talking about it, we just love the corgi breed. Will probably wait until spring. People say we should get two so they can play together but we think just one since one of us is home most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Yeah I wish we could have gotten two pups, but no way was the wife going to buy in on that. ;) Either way, I hope y'all get a new Corgi and I hope you and your family love it.