Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It Must Be Interesting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 25, 2021.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    That absolutely could be the situation I wasn't gonna speculate because I don't know. what I do know is that he moved from job to job every 3 to 4 years or so so that's what I spoke on

2. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Oh, there's still plenty of reward for beating Georgia. Just no SEC championship game reward. Bragging rights, recruiting, pride, momentum, fan attendance for the final two home games, jobs, locker room morale, ... all valuable rewards still on the table. But, Atlanta is obviously off the table, regardless of the outcome of the game.

• Like Like x 2
  3. avogator

avogator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Dan Mullen has a recruiting budget that is 1/3 of Georgia's. I think he is meeting the expectations of his bosses since they set the recruiting budget

4. steveGator52

steveGator52 GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2016
    DC Metro area
    He should have been fired after 2019. What happened in 2020 wasn’t an anomaly, but a trend. People saw there was going to be problems with the secondary, and there was. Did they expect him to perform as poorly as he did, no, but some were dissatisfied enough to call for a change. We were never going anywhere with a Grantham led defense.

But Dan cares more about stats than winning, I suppose. After all, Grantham’s defenses always have good stats, right? If only championships and wins were awarded to the team which had the best stats.

• Like Like x 1
  5. WindoverG8tr

WindoverG8tr GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    From what I have heard it's not quite apples to apples there. Florida has two private jets at the coaches disposal to do things like recruit. From what I understand a significant portion of ugaly recruiting money goes to commercial flights for coaches. This was Zach A on the radio today (10-25) when on the recruiting budget. I have zero doubt that Ga has a larger recruiting budget. As I have posted previously, I think bama, UGA, OSU and OU all take recruiting to a level that no other schools want to go to-nefarious or not. We are only going to beat them at recruiting with an ace recruiting staff and we are light years from that. Currently I see us behind such stalwarts as Boston College, Va Tech, Ga Tech, Stanford and worst of all F$U. Yes I know it's still kind of early-but not really. ugaly has 15 5 and 4 stars. We have 6 4 stars. Looking at the list ahead of us, besides the 4 monster recruiter schools, I doubt any of the others I named above have a recruiting budget as large as UF.

6. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Trashing you staff like a bunch of whiny fans is just classless and no one would want to work for him. Should’ve done it last year and I’m sure he knows that now as it’s clear to everyone on the planet. No need to state the obvious.

7. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Well, he’s a detriment no matter what state his bags are in. Just wait it out and keep your pants on. Next season and a new dc won’t come any quicker

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Hmmm

9. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think we are all asking why we are in this situation and why we have been so short sighted.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    They often don't, but often end up in the same place of late

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Hall of Fame

Jul 27, 2015
    But don't we also pay our coach more than uga?

12. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    Teams have defined fired DCs mid-season. Heck, didn't Ohio St just demote theirs? Change could certainly come quicker. You are right about one thing, next season won't start til next season.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Think recruit give two shits about their coaches lifestyle? Nope, it’s their lifestyle they care about.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    The question was about meeting boss's expectations.

15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Stating Uga has to have a bigger recruiting budget elapse they dont have a private jet is making excuses for mullens poor recruiting efforts.

Itcosts way more money to keep up a private jet than it does to fly comercial.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    The only possible way that could happen in my opinion is if we run the table from here out, and I think it would still be a mistake. Personally (and I have no proof of this) I think Grantham has already been notified he’s gone.
    To me it wasn’t the losses (Clemson is setting exactly where we are record wise) it’s who (outside Alabama) and how.
    I’m still having nightmares about LSU gashing us over and over again with the same basic play, and worse outside of modest success against Kentucky, LSU still can’t run the ball against anyone else. Grantham can cite all the statistics he wants,(personally I think that was all resume building) and they may be technically true, but that was before LSU, and a complete lack of coaching on his part.
    I think the vast majority of Gator fans are okay with giving Mullen a pass for this year, and I believe that is going to happen. (it doesn’t really matter how I as an individual or others feel)
    I also believe the almost all Gator fans want Grantham and others gone, but that doesn’t solve the biggest problem I see, and that is how fractured Gator Nation has become.
    Even the slightest disagreement brings out name calling and arguments over who is the better fan (and I’m not excluding myself from that).
    It is going to be Coach Mullen’s, and the administration biggest challenge next year. (at least initially)
    The last two years have been difficult for everyone, irrespective of who one blames or doesn’t blame. We certainly can remain passionate with our opinions, but we really do need to tone down the personal attacks or more than Gator football will be in trouble.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. GameTime1

Jul 27, 2015
    I agree. But didn't we also give him a pass for 2020?

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  18. gatorpjb

gatorpjb Senior

Jan 1, 2021
    Lithia, Florida
    Maybe, the way that 2020 ended was disturbing to me, but as I stated it really doesn’t matter what you or me feel, plenty of others including apparently the administration think he deserves another year.
    Some of the reasons have at least some validity (COVID did impact all programs, we weren’t 4-6 as with Muschamp, and any change does carry a risk, and we cannot continue this carousel of coaches) while I and others might believe it makes sense to take a chance now, others see it differently (including the ones who make the decision). There is nothing wrong with either position per se, there is something wrong with belittling those with differing opinions.
    Now this site could trend toward another site with a Jackass that passes himself off as a Donkey, (I read it ever day, and frankly find it humorous, but it is not to be taken any other way than a parody forum, with no divergence of opinion tolerated) or we can still be passionate about our thoughts without getting into the weeds with others.
    It has gotten so bad that I have seen “Gator fans” ( other sites) hoping that Georgia not only beats us but destroys us, so the administration would be forced to fire Mullen. That’s a line I personally refuse to cross.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorsforevr

gatorsforevr GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    The worst part about this is that even if we beat Georgia, they're still in the driver seat for the playoffs. Bama isn't as good this year as years past so we can't rely on them to beat Georgia in the SECCG, they could but it's not certain. Unlike years past, it's harder to be the spoiler with the playoffs. A one loss Georgia team is still making the playoffs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    With the time left in the season, the result of letting a DC go now would be that we have a vacancy for the rest of the season. The majority here probably believe he should go today regardless, and maybe rightly so. But, it's conceivable that a 4-3 season spirals into another homebound bowl season if the locker room implodes under a void. Grantham needs to go for sure and he has to already know that himself. The question is only whether a DC void would be worse than a bad DC in the midst of a season. The pressure will mount if Georgia's offense shreds our D and that could be the end there, for sure. So, Grantham has between one and five games left on the sidelines at UF, in my estimation. We'll see where that falls. I predict five. It could get ugly. Samford tickets will be virtually free by game time but I'm still looking forward to fsu.

• Winner Winner x 1