Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It Must Be Interesting

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by The_RH_Factor, Oct 25, 2021.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Seriously though... what metric do you apply to determine if a guy is worth the 7 million dollars he's making?

Is it: "...hey coach, you showed up for the game, you uttered some nonsensical coach speak in the presser, and...well, i guess you tried...that's what counts! Go ahead and take your vacay while coaches making less than you work the recruiting trail harder than you, and convince athletes from your school's home turf to forgo the home state's flagship program for other states....all groovy man...your *trying*...".

I mean, what did the school get for signigicant salary bump and extension?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorhead

Gatorhead GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Agree, beating UGA is the only salve that will save this season at any level.

Lose catastrophicly and the thermometer rises oh so much more.

And if UF does lose badly, what will happen, especially with another loss down the road?

3. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Where did I say any of us were advocating that? Mullen is the only guy consistently sticking up for Grantham and unfortunately he’s the guy that gets to decide, not fans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I think you miss-read his pots. He's saying if Mullen extends TG's contract, Mullen will lose the fan base.

Our luck will be that the defense tightens up and we win out, TG gets a new contract and next year's D is back to the lousy normal. TG needs to be gone regardless of how this year finishes.

Not saying that, only if TG not gone, DM gone.

If another post from last week was correct in that DM wanted to fire TG last year, but the the AD didn't want to pay the buyout and if that's the case, this year is on the AD and buys DM at least one year.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GATORnGA

GATORnGA GC Legend

Dec 5, 2007
    Gray, GA
    Well, Win and the narrative about you changes for better (although you still have issues to address) and you win some people back to your side; Lose (but not bad), and the narrative surrounding you stays negative and you’re probably still where you were before the game still on shaky ground; Lose Bad and not only does the narrative surrounding you get even worse, your seat gets very hot, and your program starts to crumble with recruiting probably going to complete $#!t (although some would say it’s there already).

Bottom line…just win the Effing game :)

Go Gators!

6. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I think he's saying you're arguing against a strawman (ie that anyone is advocating for keeping 3rd and [automatc first]), not that you actually advocating for that (keeping csp'n 3rd and...).

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  7. GatorMatt06

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    But again I’m not building a straw man, Mullen may actually retain Grantham.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Just like there will be no change of QBs. Going with his men (Hev, also).

9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Then why are you fretting about Grantham getting an extension when it hasn’t happened? Believe me pal, if Mullen extends Grantham I’ll be hollering for his head too. He won’t. We’re in the same universe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

That pal is a strawman

11. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Losing to UK and LSU means we can easily lose to USCE, Mizzou, halfass u. This is because the team was ill prepared for those two games and there were little or no adjustments made during either of the UK, LSU games. If DM is truly a QB whisperer then he needs to show it to be true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Mullens long term track record cannot make you so confident and certain that he does the correct thing.

It makes no sense for Dan to start EJ and to extend Grantham….. but it made no sense for Dan to start EJ for as long as he did and retain Grantham

I tend to believe Dan has seen the light but that has way more with me being optimistic than anything Dan has shown

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I am not ‘so confident and certain’ — the difference……well, one difference between you and me is that I’m willing to count on Mullen making the obviously right decision, while you apparently are getting wound up like the worst is for sure gonna happen.

The funny part of your post is at the end where you call yourself “optimistic”. Not sure if serious - but funny any way you look at it.

Go Gators

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorMatt06

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Who is fretting? It’s a very simple if-then statement. If Mullen keeps Grantham, as he has done in the past, he will lose the fanbase. If Mullen fires or doesn’t re-sign Grantham, that won’t be the case. I’m just stating hypotheticals. It’s most likely that Grantham is gone and we all know that. But Mullen has show a propensity to be loyal in the face of reason, so the hypothetical is still out there. If he didn’t already fire Grantham we can’t just automatically assume it will happen.

See a straw man argument only works if you actually, you know, make an argument for or against something using a strawman. Stating hypothetical outcomes is just forum discussion.

Now if I said “he’s already lost the fanbase because we all know he’ll retain Grantham” that’s different. That’s a strawman.

15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I agree with this. As i posted b4, that he wasn't canned after last year, leaves me in a "...I'll believe it when i see it" state.

So yeah, quite possible.

I was just guessing at what skink was saying--not agreeing with him. I went back and i dont see where you did suggest any group of posters or anyone but CDM, advocating for TG--and until TG is gone, i think it's a fair concern you state.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorMatt06

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Here’s another strawman: “you seem personally invested in defending Mullen to the end so you struggle to comprehend what others are saying in anything other than a defensive light.”

I’m sure that isn’t true so it must just be a strawman.

17. gator10

gator10 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 23, 2015
    Sometimes I wonder if skink is Mullen or Grantham…

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You, Tommy V, a few others seem so cocksure hes gone. I felt that way last year. How not??? Yet here we are.

I'll believe it when i see it.

At this point, im good with any and all noise before season's end to help the no brainer happen, rather than wait until the boot coonects with the scrotem to scream bloody murder, only to have to choke on more non-explanations, and another year of shitty D....

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc GC Hall of Fame

Oct 8, 2013
    Here's some food for thought......Has anyone stopped to think that TG was already gonna leave? I mean the whole knock on him when he first got here was he only stays 3 years or so and leaves.... not sure if those departures align with his contract expiration or not but the guy could already have his bags packed and we all wasting our time talking about the lame duck coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    The “obviously right” decision was firing TG after last year