Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It is gratifying watching a well-coached Florida team

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MadduxFanII, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    UK in 2018 was his 2nd game and we had multiple defensive players out- including David Reese.
    I agree that Mizzou 2018 was the worst- but most 1st year coaches have something similar.

Spurrier had UT, Meyer had Bama.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    No, I'm 56. Why the smart ass, Partner? Did I offend you? I apologize if I did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    I think the 21 in your username is what fooled him.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Maybe.

I think it was more my "I'm old enough to remember" deal. Starting a conversation with that has been a thing here for a bit. Guess it's run it's course.
    I'm not here to argue, especially with other Gator fans. Hit me wrong. I try to keep my smart assery face to face as a practice, and not on the internet.

Happy New Year.

• Like Like x 3
  5. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    You are a good guy for sure, never hit me as a smart ass. I on the other hand have a tough time not being a smart ass here.
    No worries. Happy New Year!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Sure...
    And, Trask goes out of the Auburn game with as knee injury, and EJ comes in, and doesn't miss a friggin' beat.......
    Sort of like the way Trask did when Franks went down..

Mullen knows what he's doing....yeah, I'd like to see Emory in for several drives at a time, so he can get his own game momentum going, and I think that we're gonna see that next season..

But..the bottom line still remains the same..
    The OP hit the nail on the head...we have a well coached team...commiting fewer penalties, better and gutsier play calls, etc...

It's called confidence...and Dan Mullen has instilled it ito his players, and...
    He brims with it.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pd_gator

pd_gator GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2013
    Florida
    Agree, I knew we'd win on talent alone, but with all the extra practice and film time I'm not surprised at the score. Especially when lately the "bad" team habe been winning these matchups more often. UV has a helluva HC and are well coached.

I say all that b/c if TOG or Mac coached this team Perkins kicks our teeth in alaTeddy Bridgewater style.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    The "play" of the year was Kyle running back out onto the field from the locker room after that injury. The crowd went nuts, to not only see him back, but, see him run out of the tunnel at a full gallup. Agree that having Emory fully prepared to not miss a beat was awesome coaching.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. WhattaGator

WhattaGator "Where's The Beef"?? (Or the crabcakes, etc.)... VIP Member "Cook Shack Chef"

Totally agreed that was a great moment....
    But...it was also a fantastic thing to see, and realize that, if Trask had been out for the rest of that game, and even the rest of the season...the fact that EJ was just as ready to take the Gators the rest of the way....

Man, oh, man!! what a beautiful thing...the fact that we have TWO starting QB's!!!...

It's been quite a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. GatorPrincess8

GatorPrincess8 Princess of Gators Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florala, Alabama
    I love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. lizardbreath

lizardbreath All American

Aug 30, 2017
    My compliments to the OP. He said a mouthful about the sea change in Gator FB, and I truly enjoyed his take on the state of the program. It is very gratifying to feel the growing confidence in the fact that we are back on track and that continued progress is actually a reasonable expectation again. We have come so far, so fast, that it's good to take stock of our situation and simply appreciate the strides that have been taken in just two short years. I'm one of the old farts who sometimes can't help looking back at the good (and the bad) old days as a way of bringing some context to the present. Of course every situation is unique, but I have a strong sense that the foundation is being built for a an extended period of tremendous success - and I'm as giddy as a schoolboy at the prospects.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm a little late, but in case anyone may have forgotten, in his first year at Bama, Nick Saban lost to Louisiana-Monroe. UT and Bama were good SEC teams, Although the term wasn't used back then Louisiana-Monroe was a 6-6 Group of Five team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. swoosh69

swoosh69 All American

May 15, 2007
    This is exactly what I've noticed is the big difference in Mullen and other coaches, complete offensive confidence. Reminds me of Spurrier and strikes fear into opposing teams. We may not win 'em all but you better be ready to defend us or it could get out of hand.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. dkgator

dkgator Senior

Apr 3, 2007
    I disagree that there is a lot difference in the way Mullen approaches Trask/Jones and what he did with Leak/Tebow.

I vividly remembering the entire Swamp booing a couple times when Tebow came in, made a couple amazing plays yet Mullen would take him out and reinsert Leak (even when Leak wasn’t playing that well). It’s just what he does, and if history repeats itself, it’s a successful process.

Regarding the original OP, I also noticed that in the last half of the season the total number of penalties for UF was often less than five. I can’t ever remember a UF team end a game with fewer than 10. So Mullen has seemingly turned that around too, and I love that!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. ajjaxgator

ajjaxgator GC Hall of Fame

Aug 3, 2007
    Duval
    So LONG until next year... sigh.