Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It is gratifying watching a well-coached Florida team

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by MadduxFanII, Dec 31, 2019.

1. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    It's sometimes easy to get caught up in the day-to-day and play-to-play issues with any football team and focus on them when discussing a coach's performance. The recruiting misses, the baffling play calls, the occasional poor gameplans, etc. And I don't feel bad about that - Dan Mullen's a multi-millionaire, he's a public figure and he's one of the most powerful figures at one of the nation's largest public universities. He can take some criticism.

But it's good to step back occasionally and look at the bigger picture and just observe how truly...pleasant it is to have a well-coached football team for the first time in a decade or so. Knowing that, while the team might lose a game and might enter at a talent deficit, at least we'll never be in a position where we feel like the coaching staff is utterly overwhelmed by the situation.

Like last night - Virginia cuts the lead to one score, has all the momentum, stops us on third and short...and Mullen doesn't hesitate to go for it on fourth down in his own territory. Brian Griese is screaming about what a horrible idea it is, and a bunch of coaches would have punted the ball away and "trusted the defense," but Mullen understood the moment and the math.

Or my favorite play of the game, the big screen to Jefferson backed up against our goal line after Elam's interception. 90 percent of coaches in that situation run the ball into the line of scrimmage three times and punt it away, content to either eat clock or force UVA to use its timeouts. And instead Mullen dials up a pass that's safe (worst case scenario it gets stopped for no gain, which is no different than plowing into a crowded box with a running back) and gives a dynamic receiver a chance to exploit a favorable match up, which Jefferson did.

A lot of great coaching is hard to notice because it's just...competence. It's making reasonable decisions and preparing in a way that prevents catastrophes or screw-ups. And it's easy to forget just how vital that is until you have to spent the better part of a decade watching the exact opposite of it. It's striking just how much less stressful it is as a fan not to hold your breath before every snap thinking, "God, what nonsense are we going to pull now?"

• Winner x 19
    • Like x 8
    • Agree x 7
    • Best Post Ever x 5
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Its been great not feeling like you're out of the game once the other team scores 10 points. Just seeing our offense competent is such a breath of fresh air After the lost decade. I agree with everything you said. Best part is Mullen is young and doesn't seem to be an NFL guy. He is ours for a long time. I never felt that with Meyer.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  3. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Amen!

I still don't get what they are thinking when they install EJ at QB though. Not at ALL that they are using him, but the situations they put him in and pull him out. Not knocking, just don't get it.

I think the DC should reevaluate 'some' of his calls.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    Being able to pass the ball downfield is a very strange feeling.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Agree. Lots of Gator fans expected to win 100-0, not allow a single first down, and hold the ball for 59 minutes.

They didn’t realize we played a well-coached top 25 team who was hungry and motivated, and caught a ton of lucky breaks.

Our team gained 550 yards last night and won comfortably.

On to 2020.

Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  6. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    All comments here are spot-on. I agree re the two okays the OP singled out. And I also agree that the thought process behind when and how EJ is used is baffling. I'm sure there's a method to the madness, but to an unenlightened fan like me, it's not obvious what that is. That said, though, we are in great hands, and will hopefully remain that way for a long time to come.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Agree. Lots of Gator fans expected to win 100-0, not allow a single first down, and hold the ball for 59 minutes.

They didn’t realize we played a well-coached top 25 team who was hungry and motivated, and caught a ton of lucky breaks.

Our team gained 550 yards last night and won comfortably.

On to 2020.

Go Gators!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. bottledigger

bottledigger All American

Aug 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    Plays, not okays - sheesh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  10. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    I think my only criticism with the usage of Emory is the whole "run Jones twice, pull him for Trask on third and medium" sequence. If you want to give Jones a series, give him a series. It's not fair to him or Trask to pull him on every third down. He's not Trey Burton - he can throw the ball. Give him a chance to make a play on third and long. He'll need to do it eventually.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    Agree about EJ.....I wanted him to get full drives, start to finish, all season. He gets in, moves the ball well, and then he gets pulled.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Legend

Dec 11, 2009
    To be fair how many coaches would give EJ time in at all with Trask as a starter, other than a designed for one play here and there. He has been put in when Trask has had momentum, in the middle of drives and during big games, which I personally don’t even agree with but I think we’ve used EJ more than other teams with the same QB combo would.

As for OP: totally agree. It’s so nice to be in this position again. Each time we looked vulnerable last night I still felt confident we’d make the right adjustments and the players would bounce back. The coaching instills that in players.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tigator2019

tigator2019 All American

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    That screen was genius

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's no different than putting in a wildcat play with an RB or handing it off on first and second down. No reason to give it much thought....especially since EJ has been very effective running it when in. It's not really a detriment to Trask or EJ.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Thought Felipe came across like a real stand up fella last night. All things being equal , he didn’t necessarily have to be there last night yet he was there cheering his boys on. I will look back on ff’s time fondly.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Gator40

Gator40 Avada Kedavra

Apr 3, 2007
    Actually, it's the other way around. Trask gets the team down the field and into a groove, then he's pulled for EJ, the drive stalls only to have to put Trask back in to bail out on 3rd and long.

Also, our biggest game of the year at LSU, we are up 7 and have taken control with Trask killing it, Mullen pulls him for EJ for a full drive and he is shut down 3 and out, their D comes alive and they take the game over and win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Not sure why every positive thread has to turn negative.

Yes, the team is well coached and the players are actually having fun despite the intense pressure these kids are under. Agreed 100% on coaching to win instead of not to lose. Big difference between a winner mentality and a loser one. Winning is fun and Mullen had to teach these kids that!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. concreteguy_21

concreteguy_21 VIP Member

Sep 6, 2019
    Upstate SC
    Check fire...
    NO negativity meant, nor implied. I'm HAPPY! I'm thrilled about this year and the future!
    Just scratching my head and hoping someone more qualified could point out the reason why we use EJ at the moments and in the situations we do.
    I'm old enough to remember Leak/Tebow and Trask/Jones looks nothing like it...so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I have a UT Vol fan who literally texted me this last night.
    He said its amazing how much better you guys look with Mullen as your coach.
    You actually look disciplined. I'm impressed, as much as it pains me to say it.
    I was hoping you guys got another Ron Zook, oh well.
    (The guy is just a good guy all around, despite his Vol fandom.)

I told him I'd take Ron Zook all day over Will Muschamp.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  20. thegatorvault

thegatorvault Junior

Jan 11, 2015
    I hear you....it sure seemed disruptive either way, but my point and yours are not mutually exclusive. Trask got most of the work (series) throughout the season, as it should be. I would have just liked to have seen EJ get complete drives to gage his development. I’m sure Mullen had his reasons.....

• Agree Agree x 1