Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

It’s come to this – the White House is now advising everyone not to head to the grocery store or pha

Discussion in 'GatorNana's Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Apr 6, 2020.

1. studegator

studegator All American

Feb 24, 2008
    White House COVID-19 Coordinator: Don’t Go To Grocery Or Drug Store – Deadline

It’s come to this – the White House is now advising everyone not to head to the grocery store or pharmacy in the coming two weeks.

“The next two weeks are extraordinarily important,” White House coronavirus response coordinator Deborah Birx said Saturday at a press conference. “This is the moment to not be going to the grocery store, not going to the pharmacy, but doing everything you can to keep your family and your friends safe.”

The coronavirus is expected to peak over the next two weeks. Already, the US has more than 312,000 confirmed cases – that’s confirmed, as in tested and certified – and an unknown number of asymptomatic people who have the virus. The US now has more than 8,500 deaths.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    Holy crap. That’s some serious bunkering.

3. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    I don’t see how that could be enforced

4. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Just come out and issue a national shelter in place order already.

Don't cluster with people.

Don't go shopping.

Don't go to the pharmacy.

Don't, don't, don't.

But if you do, wear masks and gloves everywhere.

Walks like a duck.......call it a freaking duck.

The nuanced mixed messaging between the administration and the scientists working on its behalf are going to cause serious erosion of confidence in everyone.

Stop the conflicting or nuanced messaging and let's get this country healthy and moving again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    It can't.

6. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It could if you close all grocery stores and pharmacies for the next 2 weeks, but that would be disastrous. You would have to police every store for looters. This isn't 1918 when people primarily grew their own food or raised cattle. Fully 85% of all Americans of that time were farmers. That's flipped today. Without grocery stores, you will have starvation because some people haven't stocked up for 2 weeks. I could see needing another carton of milk over the next 2 weeks. That's pretty much it. But not everyone can stock up for 2 weeks at a time. Millennials probably could wing it with ordering curb side, but that's expensive to do for 2 or 3 meals every day. We do curb-side maybe once a week. I eat PBJ for lunch..oh yeah need another couple loaves of bread.

7. WarDamnGator

WarDamnGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Closing all grocery stores for two weeks would cause an insane run on our already diminished food supplies and people would get left out. Bad idea. Stores and the food supply chain needs to stay open, IMO.

• Agree Agree x 10
  8. FutureGatorMom

FutureGatorMom Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Welcome to a country run by a narcissist with ADHD. The only thing you can count on, is you can't count on anything

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    How what can be enforced? It's an advisory not an order.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BLING

BLING GC Hall of Fame

Apr 16, 2007
    Yep, I’ve actually not gone into a store for almost a full month now. But that’s only because I’ve started getting deliveries and pickups of stuff I’ve never done before. I see the stores are busy enough, and it’s hard enough to get those scheduled times, there is no way 100% of the public could do this.

However, after hearing of that Wal-Mart that had *TWO* employees die it opened my eyes up to that possibility, that even grocery stores could be temporarily shuttered if things theoretically got really bad. I don’t think there would be a statewide order to close though, I’m talking just individual stores. It’s hard to imagine how they keep stores going when multiple employees start dying.

11. GatorGuyDallas

GatorGuyDallas VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Plano, Texas
    Let’s make sure discussing what was actually said by Birx.

“The next two weeks are extraordinarily important. This is the moment to not be going to the grocery store, not going to the pharmacy, but doing everything you can to keep your family and your friends safe,” Birx said

She didn’t say there was any discussion of closing those places. In the course of the theme of the moment “sh&ts about to get real” she is clearly saying hunker down and keep yourself, friends and family safe. I don’t think any reasonable reading of her words suggests not going if you are out of food or medicine.

Her comments are just an extension of the ongoing messaging from the scientists. Limit social contact that can spread the disease as much as possible. This is just saying, “if you’re making unnecessary grocery runs, you should pull back to strictly necessary”

The messaging could be cleaner, but I’m betting these folks are running on fumes at this point.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    And have he and and his buddies place their short position bets accordingly.

*allegedly*

Wouldn't surprise whatsoever if that wasn't the driver in all of this.

13. GatorNorth

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Short on what? Grocery stocks? That's a bit too conspiratorial for me. Plenty of other ways to make money long after a pandemic after the market has crashed without shorting the food chain.

14. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I have enough food for 2 weeks. Probably a month for whole family. Some of those bean cans in the back of the pantry need to be eaten this year anyway. o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. g8trjax

g8trjax GC Hall of Fame

Jun 1, 2007
    More than likely they're just running low on toilet paper.

16. vaxcardinal

vaxcardinal GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I think she probably wants people to cut back on their visits. Is it really necessary to go to the grocery store every week. Your not going to starve

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    I guess.

18. defensewinschampionships

Sep 16, 2018
    My wife has an immune deficiency disorder. Food builds histamine rather quickly, particularly produce. We buy produce 3x per week or she gets sick. It sounds crazy, but you are correct for the majority of the populace. I find it necessary to get out of the house every so often. If I wasn't going to the store for her, I would be going for a leisurely drive. I think people are grocery shopping just to get out of the house.

19. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    People are panicking due to the ways numerous stores have started to reduce the traffic. It sets up a worse issue outside with people waiting to go in and I seriously doubt they are respecting the 6ft distance. I did far better avoiding people in the store, so most likely I will have to do is pick a day where I visit several Walmarts and Targets and do a day run instead of my usual 30 minute run. Even today, I need to go to Lowes and pick up my online order that took most of the day yesterday to prep for pickup. I might have to wait 2 hours for that too. I think I might keep my 6ft circle by faking coughs.

20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I have enough for 2.5 weeks or more, outside of fruit and salad. I actually anticipated something like this and made sure i was stocked. When we got close to the peak, there was going to be another bank style run on groceries for fear of the supply chain coming unglued. Guess this is their attempt to head that off, but same effect.
    Either way, I am fine for now, so whatever.