Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Issues facing college baseball

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by nattygator, Jan 2, 2019.

1. nattygator

nattygator Recruit

Oct 14, 2017
    There's a very interesting article on D1baseball.com concerning issues to be discussed at this week’s ABCA convention in Dallas. They include the recruiting calendar, more scholarships, and adding a third full-time paid assistant coach. It quotes Sully on his feelings on the recruitment calendar.
    d1baseball.com/news/abca-primer-2019-hot-topics/

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I totally agree with Sully on the recruiting calendar restrictions/regulations—

The decision to continue to work or to take time off ought to be at the discretion of the HC of each staff of each university—not regulated by a bureaucratic power—I feel like if any coach wanted/needed to be off for his family Sully would make the right call—

It has been and always will be much more fun to do something you love to do or work at versus being required to do the same task—

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Legend

Apr 24, 2008
    Sounds like Sully's position is that coaches who aren't willing to work as hard are trying to pass rules to keep him from working as hard.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Ha! First comment to the article: “how about recruiting better umps! Lol!

• Agree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Interesting topics:
    Moving the MLB draft to Omaha.
    Having a MLB game associated with Omaha/CWS.
    # of schollies: that big. Baseball is lagging on % of athletes on schollie.
    Paid assistant. Need it.
    Recruiting time. Can see Sully’s view: Doesn’t like bureaucratic micromanagement.

• Like Like x 3
  6. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Good idea.
    I hope not. Leave a good thing alone.
    College baseball is way behind where it needs to be. They are acting like it is the 1960's where all the good players go straight to the pros out of HS.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

There will be a MLB game on Thursday before the opening of 2019 series. Royals v Tigers as I recall.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Legend

Apr 24, 2008

Singer v Faedo????

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  9. iowagator

iowagator Premium Member

That is what I posted last summer when it was first announced. I was told by some on here that would be impossible LOL I think it would be great!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Human error leads to sooooooo many botched calls in college baseball. Institute instant replay.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Exclude football from the Title IX conversation. No female sport fields 85 players. Then you can match the scholarships 1 for 1.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gatorbogey

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I think several of us have said this sort of thing several times over the years. If a sport funds most of the other sports, it should get an exception.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    ABCA Recap: Early Recruiting Talk
    Aaron Fitt - January 7, 2019
    DALLAS — In last week’s ABCA convention primer, we outlined some of the major issues facing college baseball as we head into 2019. And the No. 1 priority for the sport’s leadership group at this year’s Division I coaches meeting was pushing coaches to speak with their athletic directors about the proposal to add a third full-time assistant coach to each staff. There’s plenty of concern from coaches around the country that it won’t get passed by the NCAA, but everyone understands that this is a crucial opportunity, particularly since it’s a joint proposal with softball.

“Especially the third coach, I think it’s very important that you guys take the time to go talk to your ADs,” Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan told the assembled coaches at Thursday’s meeting. “If this does not get approved now, it will probably never get approved. So I know we’re all at different levels, some schools can pay X amount, some schools can pay this amount, but at the end of the day it’s a better system than we have now. The volunteer will get benefits, the volunteer will be able to get on the road and have the opportunity to get a job, and we can develop coaches for our sport. I don’t see a negative here.”

So there’s nothing new on that front; coaches simply must work hard to get their administrations to support the proposal in advance of this spring’s vote. ABCA executive director Craig Keilitz did share the results of a new survey that asked coaches, “If this proposal passes, what type of position will your school most likely have as the third baseball assistant coach?” The results:

ABCA Recap: Early Recruiting Talk | D1Baseball

• Like Like x 2