Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Israeli / Palestinian Conflict

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Gatorhead, May 13, 2021.

1. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    all true, but 1000s of other points of context. And the blockade is not just defensive. But beyond the scope

2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    So basically we should go back in time and not allow the UN to create an Israel State? Since we can't do that, if we get Israel to leave the West Bank and get the Palestinians to occupy it, would that satisfy them or would they continue to send rockets into Israel from closer up?

If that's the case, Israel should move out of the west bank and turn it into a DMZ like between the Koreas.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Fibber. ;)

4. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    Been there. Done that. They created a buffer zone on the northern border with Lebanon due to repeated violence from Hezbollah and others. They paid a heavy price in blood. That was known as Israel’s Vietnam.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. ajoseph

ajoseph Premium Member

Jan 15, 2008
    This is just factually wrong. Go to Israel. See for yourself instead of believing the horse crap that you read. See how people are treated. With your own eyes. The only thing not tolerated is people trying to murder Israeli citizens.

And as far as your Custer analogy, it is factually off base. Israel defends itself after being provoked. If Hamas doesn’t want to be shot at, they need to stop shooting first.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Buffer Zone patrolled by the South Lebanese Army (Maronite militia - wife is Maronite), also directly responsible for Sabra and Shatila

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    True, and I just did again. Sop me before I post again

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Not to mention that the "West Bank" has so many settlements - The Maps of Israeli Settlements That Shocked Barack Obama

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. swampspring

swampspring GC Legend

Dec 13, 2009

I actually have visited and still have family there. My family is of those whose land was taken and village razed. wgbgator is 100% correct. Israel continues to violate international law and became even more egregious during the Trump administration.

This is a great hearing from Richard Boyt Barrett that summarizes it well.

BTW, I'm not going to debate with anyone on here about it because I know where these things go. I have been a member here for awhile so not looking to churn up old habits.

Last edited: May 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RayGator

RayGator Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Lakeland, Florida USA.
    As for me, proudly supporting Israel and the Jewish people. Always have, always will. No other group of people in history have had to suffer and endure so much hate as the Jewish people have had to do so. May God continue to protect and bless them and their Nation of Israel also.

“Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem.”

• Like Like x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. metalcoater

metalcoater GC Hall of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Typical, with my very limited knowledge I know that America is wrong.

12. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    The creation of Israel was a well intentioned big world gov mistake. As 1 of my Jewish friends sez, it is the 2nd worst thing to ever happen to his people.

13. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    At least until the second coming when they have to convert or be destroyed. At least according to the premillenial dispensationalism, which this sounds like

• Like Like x 1
  14. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Some positive

• Like Like x 2
  15. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Why did Hamas start bombarding Israel right when Netanyahu was about to lose power (and possibly go to prison)? Forget any other rationale, is it possible that Hamas wants to keep Bibi in power in Israel? Wouldn't a new Israeli government, including Arabs and more friendly to Arabs, be bad for Hamas, which lives for terror and jihad, not for peaceful coexistence? So you don't get rid of a leader in time of war and crisis, Netanyahu stays, another cease fire will come, and Hamas will have what it wanted. And of course Bibi will too.

My only other comment regarding our friend and ally Israel is, "Remember the U.S.S. Liberty!"

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. ncargat1

ncargat1 VIP Member

Dec 11, 2009
    Because Israeli soldiers entered the Mosque on the first day or Ramadan and cut the wires to the loud speakers fearing the prayers would drown out the speeches of Israeli's at the Western Wall who were celebrating Memorial Day at the exact same time. No....of course there was all of the underlying hatred, but apparently this was the spark that ignited the entire tinder box anew.

After Years of Quiet, Israeli-Palestinian Conflict Exploded. Why Now?

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  17. g8rjd

g8rjd GC Hall of Fame

Jan 20, 2008
    Tallahassee, FL
    It’s not about Bibi. It’s about Abbas and the delayed PA elections. It’s about Hamas presenting to the Palestinian public that they are willing to literally fight Israel to increase their popularity.

And if they seize total power over the PA, it’s not like they’re going to come to the peace table anyway, so what do they care if they harden the Israeli public and, then, government? It just serves their purpose and increases their popularity in the PA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Yes, that's why I said "Forget all other rationale." I was just wondering if Hamas might prefer to have Bibi around. No matter how it's explained, Hamas did Bibi a great political favor with its response to what happened at the holy site. (To speculate further, maybe Bibi deliberately invited that kind of response by ordering what happened at the site. Didn't he know there would be some payback? Which raises the old question, "Cui bono?")

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  19. tampagtr

tampagtr VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Another perspective that emphasizes, I believe correctly, the centrality of Sheikh Jarrah, but omits both the throwing of stones from inside Al Aqsa and the blockage of the Damascus Gate

I should begin by trying to explain the events that sparked this latest cycle of violence in Jerusalem, where I live, as best as I am able.

There are many places to begin telling the events of the last tense weeks, and where someone begins telling the story inevitably impacts what the story means. From my vantage point as one who lives here, tensions were sparked by the looming expulsions of Palestinian families from their homes in the East Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah. At the beginning of this week, the Israeli Supreme Court was scheduled to hold a hearing that might have given the final decisions on whether or not they would forcibly evict families from their homes in this historic neighborhood of Jerusalem.

The Palestinian families in question had lived there for generations, resettled by the Jordanians after they were expelled from their homes in Palestine in 1948. Jewish settler groups were trying to claim the houses, using an Israeli law that said that Jews could re-claim land that belonged to them prior to 1948. But there is no similar Israeli law that allows for Palestinians to reclaim their own land, confiscated in 1948. It is therefore a law selectively applied.

A Christian in Jerusalem at the Start of Another War

20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Hall of Fame

Jul 11, 2019
    Much respect to the Jewish people, but black people and Native Americans might disagree with you on that.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1