Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Israel bars two congresswomen

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by rivergator, Aug 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM.

1. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Israel bars Democratic congresswomen from entering country - CNNPolitics

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. wgbgator

wgbgator Extremely Online Premium Member

Great move for making BDS more popular and Israeli relations ultra-partisan.

3. wgbgator

AIPAC isn't even defending this move, that's all you need to know about how stupid it is all around.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. rivergator

rivergator Too Hot Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Israel bars entry to outspoken US congresswomen

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Great leadership (what is the sarcastic font?)

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Guardian of the GC Galaxy Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So much winning.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's their right to keep their country from becoming even more partisan... These woman are agitators and Israel is a sovereign nation with the right to keep the peace. What good comes from having our elected officials spewing their hate in another country?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 2:35 PM
    • Agree Agree x 5
  8. gatorpa

gatorpa GC Hall of Fame

Sep 5, 2010
    East Coast of FL
    They are low level congressional members who haven't been friendly to Israel, its not really that shocking given Omar's statements in the past.

"Her stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict — unapologetically pro-Palestinian — fits with this profile, broadly speaking. It has helped make her into a darling of the insurgent left, which is highly critical of the Democratic establishment’s generically pro-Israel view. Yet when Omar talks about Israel, she has a bad habit of saying things that feed into anti-Semitic stereotypes.

In 2012, she tweeted that “Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel.” The tweet implied that Israel and its supporters were secretly tricking the world into supporting it, a longtime anti-Semitic trope for which Omar apologized after taking office in January."
    The Ilhan Omar anti-Semitism controversy, explained

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. GatorJMDZ

GatorJMDZ gatorjack VIP Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh, I don't know...exposing people to other ideas, opening dialog? Toning down the nationalism a bit. Silly stuff like that.

Clever ploy by Trump to initiate this...he desperately wants to get some of the Jewish vote to offset his other losses. When it's all said and done, it won't be effective.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. diehardgator1

diehardgator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, explaining the decision at length on his office's Twitter account, said that Tlaib and Omar's itinerary "revealed that they planned a visit whose sole objective is to strengthen the boycott against us and deny Israel's legitimacy."

Netanyahu said their travel plans referred to a trip to "Palestine," not Israel, and the congresswomen were not interested in meeting with Israeli officials. He went on to note that the Palestinian organization that planned the visit, MIFTAH, supports the boycott movement, and that people associated with the group have supported terror against Israel in the past.

He said Israel welcomes critics with the exception of those who support boycotts of the Jewish State.

Israel blocks Omar, Tlaib from entering country amid pressure from Trump

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  11. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Well, duh. I was confused by your thread title until I saw that it was Tlaib and Omar they were barring. If you were Israel, what possible benefit could you see from admitting them? On one hand, do you think there’s anything that Israel could do, say, or show them that would alter their position? On the other hand, do you seriously think they would be going to do anything other than cause trouble for Israel? It’s one thing to bring in foreign legislators who are unsympathetic or skeptical toward Israel (I put myself in that category, by the way). It’s quite another to do so with legislators who outwardly hostile.

We could always make it a provision of our enormous foreign aid that they have to allow fact-finding tours from any and all of our Congress. I would support it. I have no problem with supporting them and guaranteeing their security, but I think we fail to make it contingent on certain behaviors, and I think they regularly take advantage of our generosity. But until then, they are a sovereign nation with the absolute right to deny anyone entry.

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  12. channingcrowderhungry

channingcrowderhungry Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Not the side I'd usually take on this but I have no issue with it. They were going there to shit-stir. No requirement to let them in the country.

I do side with the congresswomen that Israel has done, and still does, a lot of things wrong and there isn't a good guy in the Israel-Palestine conflict.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. wgbgator

Love the self-own here.
    Israel: "Two state solution? No thanks, build more settlements!"
    Also Israel: "Says right here they were going to Palestine, a separate place, which isn't Israel"

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    If you told me Ali Khamenei was barred from coming to visit the United States because he was going to visit certain topical parts of our country and weigh in on our issues I wouldn't have an issue

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. wgbgator

Its within their rights of course, but we let in Bibi to stir stuff up when the GOP congress invited him to speak to troll Obama and attack the Iran deal. And really, Israel was going to let them in until Trump said they'd be "weak" if they did. I suppose the silver lining is that we're still the senior partner here, telling Israel what to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Personally I wouldn't have done it, I'd have met with them myself.

17. wgbgator

Yeah, my point was basically that Trump drove this, not Israel, Bibi needs that Trump juice so he'll just do whatever he says.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    Our relationship with Israel has always been pretty..... interesting

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I like this approach:

The tour Israel should arrange for Tlaib and Omar

I don't think an outright ban is productive, but certainly there would be concerns of any lack of interest in learning and improving on potentially flawed ideologies on the part of Omar and Tlaib.

But the part that slays me is Trump's ridiculous assertion that "They hate Israel & all Jewish people"

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

20. channingcrowderhungry

Apr 3, 2007
    Bottom of a pint glass
    That article lost me by the 2nd paragraph.

• Agree Agree x 1