Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is this the behavior we expect from those responsible for keeping our water and air safe

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Rocinante, May 16, 2018.

1. Rocinante

Rocinante Senior

May 28, 2013
    The EPA under the slimy, characterless man, Pruitt, recently tried to bury a study that found a common chemical is much more toxic than originally thought. A man of character does not lose track of the singular mission of their organization and make it secondary to other motives.

If you don’t agree with the mission of your charge then change the mission, Follow it or resign. Given he likely lacks the power to change the mission of the EPA he should resign and run for Congress where he can change it.

Our Mission
    The mission of EPA is to protect human health and the environment.

EPA works to ensure that:
    • Americans have clean air, land and water;
    • National efforts to reduce environmental risks are based on the best available scientific information;
    • Federal laws protecting human health and the environment are administered and enforced fairly, effectively and as Congress intended;
    • Environmental stewardship is integral to U.S. policies concerning natural resources, human health, economic growth, energy, transportation, agriculture, industry, and international trade, and these factors are similarly considered in establishing environmental policy;
    • All parts of society--communities, individuals, businesses, and state, local and tribal governments--have access to accurate information sufficient to effectively participate in managing human health and environmental risks;
    • Contaminated lands and toxic sites are cleaned up by potentially responsible parties and revitalized; and
    • Chemicals in the marketplace are reviewed for safety.
    EPA move on chemical study may trip up Pruitt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    What is the goal in trying to hide this? What Republican/Conservative ideals does it advance? Any of you conservatives on the forum want to explain, because I don't get how this helps you or your goals.

3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Did this "slimy man" cause the Colorado river to be pollute with toxic waste water? No? Good then he's a 10,0000,000,000 times better that that hack that Obama had... Please forgot the date on the article (for historical record) because it's to point out a clear difference in two different EPA leaders. One (Obama's EPA leader) was an abject idiot and one is not...

EPA Says It Released 3 Million Gallons Of Contaminated Water Into River

EPA Says It Released 3 Million Gallons Of Contaminated Water Into River

• Off-topic Off-topic x 3
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  4. g8orbill

g8orbill Old Gator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    in this time where all libs and the media will print anything . they can find to hurt the Trump admin-true or not- it is hard to know what to really believe when stories like this come out- there is one key word in the headline which gives the author somewhere to hide if his source is not accurate

EPA move on chemical study may trip up Pruitt

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. madgator

madgator GC Hall of Fame

May 28, 2007
    South Florida
    Still waiting for criminal indictments resulting from the Flint water poisoning in which 15 people were killed and 12,000 injured due to lead poisoning.

but government workers are the greatest! ask the people in Parkland

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. ValdostaGatorFan

ValdostaGatorFan GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    TitleTown, USA
    Well, what do you expect when an agency is ran by a man that has sued said agency 14 times?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF Premium Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I’m all for clean air and water.....oh, and earth too. The article says that EPA/Pruitt are burying the report. And?
    The report could be very well done and helpful to Americans and should be released.
    The report could also be pseudoscience mierda that the administration does not want to deal with and defend.
    Or, somewhere in between.

I have no tolerance for dirtbags who endanger others for a buck (or millions of bucks); so, if this is what Pruitt is doing then hang ‘em high. If this is just another inter-agency squabble then let it sort itself out. I could be wrong, but this seems like one issue that has a bark worse than its bite.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. ursidman

ursidman GC Hall of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    He does it because it is expected of him. It pleases the boss.
    Scott Pruitt’s Dirty Politics | The New Yorker

The agency was established in 1970, by President Richard Nixon. William Ruckelshaus, its first administrator, who also led the E.P.A. under Ronald Reagan, told me, “My principal concern is that Pruitt and the people he’s hired to work with him don’t fundamentally agree with the mission of the agency. They seem more concerned about costs associated with regulations.

In suing the E.P.A., Pruitt and other state attorneys general usually partnered with industry litigants. Many of the corporations involved—such as Murray Energy and Southern Company—had donated to his campaigns or to affiliated super pacs. The co-chair of Pruitt’s 2014 reëlection campaign was Harold Hamm, the billionaire C.E.O. of the oil-and-natural-gas company Continental Resources.

In Oklahoma, Pruitt’s obeisance to the energy industry was sometimes startling. Four years ago, Eric Lipton, of the Times, revealed that a letter Pruitt once sent to E.P.A. regulators, complaining that they had overestimated how much pollution new oil wells were producing in Oklahoma, had been copied, nearly word for word, from a draft supplied by Devon Energy. William F. Whitsitt, who then directed government relations at Devon, praised the letter as “outstanding.”

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This is another witch hunt by the commies that hate the Obama regulations that SP is undoing. That's all this is about. Sore azz losers will whine... And lest he didn't dump 3 million gallons of toxins into the Colorado river like Obama's idiot did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gatorknights

gatorknights GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
  11. G. Gordon Gator

G. Gordon Gator GC Hall of Fame

May 3, 2017
    I would expect that the reason they consider these high levels of chemical contamination in water to be a "public relations nightmare" is that it's a scary problem without a feasible solution that the EPA is empowered to implement. Nobody wants to deliver that kind of news.

By the way, I don't believe that PFOA and PFOS are only used in Teflon and firefighting foam, like that story seems to imply. It must be in other stuff, too. Either that, or I don't believe that the contamination is as widespread as they're making it out to be. Maybe from Teflon, if traces of the chemicals come off your pots and pans and go down the drain every time you run them through the dishwasher. But firefighting foam? I don't think there's been enough of that sprayed around to cause a national problem.

12. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
  13. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    Then why were so many wells testing positive for Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) to the extent That the site qualified as a superfund cleanup site? When I built my house in the early 90's, wells in the neighborhood were testing positive for EDB so much that the state was providing free filtration systems for wells that tested positive. When I worked at IFAS here at UF, I remember a couple of researchers were talking about how big the EDB problem was going to be. Fortunately, EDB has a short half life and becomes harmlessly inert in a few years, My well tested negative so I had to spring for the filtration out of pocket. The house next to me tested positive.

Ethylene Dibromide (EDB)

14. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    J- I never said anything about the wells- I merely pointed out that what they(Tower Chemial) did was the norm in those days

15. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta
    Rick, has your outlook become so partisan that you are unable to distinguish an accidental release from an intentional burying of a report, or just unwilling to admit that neither is acceptable because your side is involved with one of them?

16. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I read the article. Pruitt is having a meeting next week about the issue where according to the article they are going to sweep this under the rug. The article is atleast a week premature.

Why dont we wait for Pruitt to act poorly instead of assuming he will.

17. gatorknights

Apr 8, 2007
    Gainesville, FL
    My dad's company used to toss out failed test batches of paint and resins in the back of the building, and over 20 people who worked in that building got and eventually died of cancer, including my dad. The building became an EPA superfund site. I apologize for being hypersensitive on that subject. I'm sure you understand. Bill, we're Clermont boys and you know I like and respect you.

• Like Like x 1
  18. g8orbill

Apr 3, 2007
    Clermont, Fl
    when you think back to some of the things done in those days it makes you wonder how more people didn't die

my Dad taught me how to change my own oil and we drained it out into a 3 gallon bucket and we dug hole and dumped it in the woods next door

we scrubbed down the driveway with kerosine - hell when I worked at Dick's Texaco right out of high school- we deck scrubbed the bays with kerosine and then tide and just hosed it out and into the drains next to SR50-which went into Dollar Lake(Lake Sunnyside)

nobody in those days gave a thought to the consequences

19. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree 100% - which is exactly why we need a strong EPA to fairly evaluate they types of practices we have engaged in out of ignorance, expedience and profit motive in order to protect the public health.

Sometimes regulations can be overbroad or unnecessary, but we need to debate these matters publicly and transparently and not have a regulatory agency that simply kowtows to corporate whim - frequently based solely upon maximizing profit. Some of those "pesky regulations" are extremely important in protecting the safety of the public. This becomes especially true as our population grows putting more people close to where dangerous substances may be improperly stored/released and as our ability to create particularly noxious substances increases with advances in science.

20. AndyGator

AndyGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Well, it is exactly the type of behavior to expect from a Trump appointee.