Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is this team causing a lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. redlinr

redlinr Freshman

Mar 25, 2011
    Middleburg, FL
    It's kinda hard to tell if fans are truly losing interest since the camera has always been pointing towards a mostly empty section.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I really think we need surrogate seat sitters on the alumni side!

word is they allow you to bring beer back to your seat now, so there shouldn’t be an excuse to hang out in the club....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    How old are you? Just curious.

• Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    UF Class of 1999. I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, though.

5. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    Defending a guy your age and putting the blame squarely on kids half your age. Gotcha.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall All American

Jul 11, 2019
    Who is blaming the kids? I'm saying they are doing well for their talent level. I just don't see what you see when you crown them as the first five picks of the NBA draft.

7. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    They aren't NBA players, but your point gets ruined when you go to the extreme and turn the argument into a special education logics course. Yes, if you put NBA all-stars on Mike White's team they'd do significant better, probably would win by 50 every game. But our kids are talented enough that they were a preseason top 5 team.

8. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I didn't see the specific metrics that showed consistent offensive improvement. To be clear, I'm just asking the question. It's hard to imagine consistent improvement, given the up-and-down nature and comparatively low offensive performance of this team.
    This is good stuff. And it does appear to show consistent offensive improvement. I don't consider it a pointless exercise, as it provides some context for the season performance. Now, has the schedule had an impact?

1st 4: UNF, FSU, Towson, UConn
    2nd: St. Joes, Miami, Xavier, Marshall
    3rd: Butler, Prov, UT St, Long Beach
    4th: Bama, SC, Mizz, Miss

The first and 3rd quads appear to be a good bit tougher than the second and fourth, which could lead to upward trends. Here's what I'd be interested in seeing: A chart of the game-by-game kenpom efficiency stat. If you have a link to that, I'll gladly chart it out and share.

• Like Like x 2
  9. cincinnatigator

Mar 5, 2017
    I could care less about the metrics due to individual game circumstances. Was our key player in foul trouble? Was theirs? Were we clearing our bench early and playing guys who are no longer even getting minutes? There are literally dozens of in-game factors you have to consider before punching in the numbers available and saying "Hey, we're improving! See, here's this chart that says so!"

I think without doubt we played to our potential against Miami. That to me was our best game so far this season. We took their punches and punched back harder. It's not surprising to me that they're now 10-5 with some decent wins on their resume. All other games I was really left feeling like we left something on the table. Excluding our blowout wins that really don't mean anything.

10. jareduf

jareduf GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Bala Cynwyd, PA
    I think this may have been the Gators most efficient game on the offensive end this season. Not necessarily shooting, but in having a clear plan on what offense to run and sticking with it.

Hopefully, the Gators can build on this game as this was an undermanned Miss team that will already be one of the lower teams in the SEC. However, for the first time this season I really felt that the players understood and followed what this team is trying to do on the offensive side of the ball.

The key for the Gators going forward is to keep the ball moving and for the players to move without the ball. Then of course, they need to defend the 3 point line better. I hope we play our best game Saturday and find a way to win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Sorry, but I don't know too much about navigating the KenPom site.