Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is this team causing a lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. benheb

benheb GC Legend

Feb 2, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    You keep saying that.
    And just about no one will buy it. Foley got Urban here, Machen helped so give it the F up.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. GatorDread

GatorDread Freshman

May 16, 2007
    Florida basketball is like a box of chocolates...

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    It’s our players. Look at the Warriors. You really think Steve Kerr was an offensive genius when they ran through the NBA and won 73 games? No, it was that Curry and Klay can shoot like no other backcourt in history and Draymond was a great passer, defender, and court leader. They all just know how to play and move the ball. Without Curry and Klay, the Warriors are terrible. I’m not even counting KD, because they were already great before he got there. Coaching helps, but it’s not going to make good players great. If you look at our team, each player besides Bkackshear has some significant holes in their games that they really need to work on in the off season. Some of them seem to think they are NBA ready and so talented that they can not work on their skills, i.e. Keyontae Johnson who has absolutely zero handles and zero left hand. That’s unacceptable at the D1 level for his position. Scottie Lewis has no dribble drive ability to get past any defender. Unacceptable. Tre Mann is so physically weak that he is overpowered by his defenders and also commits silly fouls every game. Nembhard is too deliberate and lacks improvisational skills (though he has gotten much better as of late). We are a flawed team with great potential. None of our guys can’t play. It’s just that they need to get over their own hype and realize they need to work harder on their weaknesses. The only blame I give Coach White is that he probably could help identify and force them into working harder in the off season on their individual flaws. He’s a solid coach though.

4. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    IMO, the biggest difference in how the football team looked on the field was Trask becoming the starter. While we won a lot more in Mullen’s first year, the offense looked largely to be the same hard-to-watch mess that it did in years prior. Franks is a warrior, but you can’t tell me that it was coaching that all of a sudden got better the moment Trask took over. I remember that game. It was almost like a light switch and all of a sudden all of our receivers were immediately open. It wasn’t that they were doing anything differently, it was that the QB could actually get them the ball. That is not coaching, it’s talent.

Same thing with our basketball team. There is something missing, and to my eyes, we have no real offensive threat. Our guys can’t dribble drive and get to the rim consistently, and they can’t shoot threes well enough to make up for it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I don't think the two sports are comparable. Franks was slow at reading the defense, there was nothing wrong with the plays. Our basketball team has offensive threats. The offense itself is horrible, it's universally known to be garbage. It doesn't cater to any of our players especially. Mike White said he scraped the offense early on this season. That's never a good sign when the team spends all offseason with the old offense expecting how to play one way, and then one day they're learning a whole new offense. That's not confident coaching nor does it help the players. It's just the challenge of playing together and somehow we don't mesh well at all. Mike White has all these good ingredients at his disposal, but you have to balance them and create something good out of it. He hasn't obviously, that's entirely on the staff. Sure we're not full of future NBA talent, but we're more talented than any team on our schedule.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Blame me.
    I keep getting Foley and Stricklin confused.

7. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Put Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Steph Curry, and James Harden on the floor in Mike Whites offense and they will go undefeated. It’s not the coaching, it’s the players.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Just like the game threads.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    So why are we paying Mike White?

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. UF67ee

UF67ee All American

Jul 9, 2007
    This team has certainly been a disappointment to date. Looks like a bunch of overrated players.

11. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I didn’t say we don’t need a coach. I said it’s not his system that’s the problem.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    I have no idea why Lewis and Mann pull up for jumpers immediately after the first dribble does not make the defender jump five feet in the wrong direction. They give up on the drive way too quickly.

13. tmape01

tmape01 Sophomore

Apr 18, 2007
    He is a solid coach based on what evidence? Because he vaguely looks like a typical college coach?

By your own admission he has not made a single one of his players any better. He absolutely does not have any ability to coach offense.

What, exactly, does he do well?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Tell us more of this "system" thingy."
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. murphree_hall

murphree_hall GC Legend

Jul 11, 2019
    Take the best coach in
    I’m looking at his actual players and I see the holes in their games. How is he going to make Lewis and Mann better as soon as they step foot on campus? Our hype was largely based upon their signings. From highlight films, I thought they were Jordan and Pippen. Now that I’ve seen them play, I see them as great projects as opposed to ready to go to the NBA. If I saw wasted talent, I’d be on White’s case too, but what I see is guys who need to work hard in the offseason. They just aren’t quite as polished as we thought they would be and that’s ok, but it’s not on White.

16. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s not like there was a whole lot more interest in CBB when Billy was here. I remember attending games during the championship years and seeing plenty of empty seats. And as far as social media goes I have believed for a long time that we get more activity when we lose than the other way around.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

First, our preseason ranking in the polls is completely irrelevant to whether the team is progressing since the season started. Do I need to explain that?

Most of my "knowledge" is based on reading Eric's articles. He has discussed how our KenPom effective offense rating has risen over the season. And, I believe it might be in the 30's, and it's a rating that means much more to me than our scoring ranking - although I'd be surprised if our scoring ranking hasn't been coming up since the beginning of the season.

I think Eric said our effective defensive rating has risen also, but I'd have to go back and check.

I don't know the specific offensive stats/metrics that have helped our effective offense rating rise. But, something must be getting better. If I have time, I'll look up some of the stats you list to see if they've risen over the season. I would guess without looking that some have risen substantially.

Our rankings have also been improving in the NET and KenPom rankings. I just looked and we're 53 in the NET (I think we had gotten into the 40s before the Missouri game, but were in the 70s a few weeks ago - again going off memory from what I recall in Eric's articles) and we're 37 in KenPom, which I think we were in the 50s a few weeks back.

I put more stock in KenPom (as I have for years) than NET which seemed to have a lot of bizarre rankings when I checked it out a couple of months ago. I don't know if the computer polls have preseason rankings, but if so, I don't see the relevance of those either as we're talking about improvement since the first games of the season.

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    You wrote that our offensive stats had consistently risen. I asked with ones, noting how poorly the team currently ranks for a few important offensive categories. Nowhere in this post have you explained which specific offensive rankings have consistently improved.

19. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Everyone “fans” in their own way, not some made up standard set by Golphingator. Most fans will watch a losing product if it’s entertaining or appears they’re trying. Looking disorganized, or inept for the talent level etc. are detrimental to fan interest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

You don't consider offensive efficiency as measured by KenPom to be an offensive statistic or offensive ranking? To me, it's the best indicator out there.

But, I went through the pointless excercise, in my view, of tracking some of the statistical categories you mentioned. And, yes, I think it reflects the general progress of the team's offense over the course of the season so far. Progress that I think seems obvious just watching them play.

Since we had played 16 games so far, I thought it convenient to track the stats in 4-game increments.

Scoring average has been:
    62.5 ppg through first 4 games
    72.75 ppg through next 4 games
    77.25 ppg through next 4 games
    82.75 ppg through last 4 games (SEC games)

FG %:
    38.4%
    45.8%
    48.7%
    44.5% (SEC games)

3-pt %:
    24.1%
    32.5%
    35.4%
    37.2% (SEC games)

Assist to Turnover Ratio:
    1.00 (SEC games)

Again, I prefer to see KenPom's efficiency ratings as it takes into account things like the rankings of the opponents. But, I think the stats above show a general trend of offensive improvement over the course of the season.....so far.

• Informative Informative x 2