Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is this team causing a lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. willymayshayes

willymayshayes GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

Not really.

• Funny Funny x 4
  2. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I think your memory is spot-on.

Remember people pulling their hair out on here in some of Donovan's later seasons, because we couldn't get a decent shot off in the final minutes of close games? People go berserk over common issues that pretty much all teams struggle with at times. And, of course, any loss in conference play spells the end of every season. And, hysteria reaches epic proportions if the team loses 2 or 3 SEC games in a row. :eek:

And, of course, the opposite positive reaction is often true when we string together a few SEC wins. :rolleyes:

I'll be disappointed, too, if this team doesn't have a good season; doesn't continue the obvious (well, at least to objective outsiders) improvement trends; and doesn't become a very tough out in the tournaments to come. But, there's a lot of season left to write that story.

In the meantime, I'll continue to watch every game in real time that I can - pacing several miles throughout (according to my Fitbit) - shooting "air FTs" myself before each of our FTs - cursing loudly at every numb-nut turnover - cursing even more loudly at egregious referee calls (the dog has learned to stay out of the man-cave when I'm watching Gator games - somehow he just knows) - and egging "the boys" on as long as a comeback is at least physically possible (long after some of the guys on this thread have turned the game off)! Go Gators!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    I like this attitude!
    Can more aspire to be like regurgitator?! And not regurgitate (too much) while watching the gators?

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Objective outsiders see improvement trends? We stunk in the first half against Alabama, played a good 2nd half against Alabama and a good game against South Carolina, and stunk it up against Missouri. That doesn’t look like an improvement trend to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Welcome to my thread. Appreciate the post!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    What I've learned over the years here on NBN is that losing draws more fans to the forum than winning does. Why that is I'll let others decide for themselves.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. HallGator

HallGator Senile Administrator Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    Oh, and I've also learned that some fans change their minds like the changing of the wind.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    The pitchfork & torches crowd outnumber the sunshine pumpers?

or, “wanna-be-coaches” want to display their sports/coaching acumen?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    or a diaper.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. GrandPrixGator

GrandPrixGator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Ultimately with any coach I ask myself, if I had my way would I give this guy/woman a 20 year contract (after I have had enough evidence on potential/results)? I'm not a 100% no on CMW, but it's definitely above 60%. He just puts off lack of confidence to me.

After year 2 with Billy my answer was absolutely yes. Even with the several 1 or 2 and done years and the Calathes NIT years. You knew he'd figure it out. Plus games were mostly fun to attend. I have season tix and I know it's not good when games start to feel a little like a hassle to attend. My expectations with basketball is the same as football, make it fun to watch the games, contend most years for conference title and be in the mix toward the end of the year for post-season success.

BTW, I'd answer yes for Mullen right now before we've won anything. I'm confident he will get us there.

11. happygatorguy

happygatorguy Sophomore

Apr 17, 2007
    Like everyone else I used to watch every game. Now if I need to do something else, I record and watch later. Other years I missed games as well but then if I recorded and we lost by 15-20 points I would watch to see what happened. Now I pretty much already know what happened and don't need to watch later.

That's the difference for me.

12. drcgator

drcgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2017
    My pleasure. I just thought that this was a really interesting topic. I hope the team can turn it around.

13. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    It is funny to m,e we have a 4 page post and half the posters say they have lost interest in the Gators BB team but they still post about it. Many of them post about BB on a regular basis and even more it seems recently.

14. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

I don't look for meaningful "trends" over 3 or 4 games. As I mentioned, there have been many seasons where we might lose 2 or 3 games in a row, and many fans completely write off the team. Then, we turn it around and win several games, and many assume we've got it all figured out. I resist both ends of the pendulum swings. Basketball is almost as bad as golf in terms of how week-to-week and even round-to-round (or hole-to-hole), players/teams can go from looking like world beaters to complete losers, and vice versa, in no time.

But since the beginning of the season:

1. We have consistently risen in various computer polls (other than maybe some initial drops based on preseason rankings).

2. I think our metrics in most offensive (not sure about defensive) categories have "consistently" (in a herky-jerky stock market way as I would expect) risen.

3. I think all the non-UF analysts would agree (and have made comments along those lines) that we are improving as the season goes along. This isn't researchable like the first 2 items, but I bet they'd agree with that even if they weren't on tv.

• Like Like x 1
  15. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I am seeing several things. First, the defense has gotten worse. Second, Blackshear is the only big man on the team with any offensive game. Third, AN is blowing hot and cold, and we are losing when he blows cold. Lewis has improved, but we have not figured out how to take full advantage of his skill set and the skill set of several other of our young players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Well said. You should post more often.

17. OrmondGator

OrmondGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Agree 100% . Unfortunately I'm afraid we'll be 0-3 this season

Personally I haven't lost interest. I just find them no fun to watch. Which is a shame because I was looking forward to rounds 1 & 2 in Tampa. Looks like f$u will be there instead...

18. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Umm . . . what are you talkin' about Hall? I don't change my mind. Wait yes I do. Well, only sometimes! But not really.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Can you clarify which metrics have consistently risen? This was a #6 ranked team at the start of the season. Has the ranking somehow consistently risen? As for the offense:
    Assist/TO - #207
    Scoring O - #117
    Shooting % - #169
    3pt % - #208

Which of these rankings consistently rose?

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 All American

Apr 10, 2007
    You're obviously not being objective.

• Funny Funny x 4