Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is this team causing a lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. GatorMatt06

GatorMatt06 GC Legend

Oct 4, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    I think there are true hards that just don’t care about the outcome either way and always go to games or watch them (rare), there are average fans that watch every game when a team is competitive and when uncompetitive they watch whenever they can but don’t plan around the games, and then there’s bandwagon fans that only watch the big games when the team is good. I think football skews more toward the former and basketball skews toward the latter. Unless we can get Billy D or another similar caliber coach I think the basketball fanbase will continue to regress into needing Final Four teams to generate interest, which isn’t sustainable. Hopefully just a rut and not permanent though. I’m also hoping CMW will turn it around because you don’t want them to fail, but the writing is on the wall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Foley and Dan didn’t get along, so he never would have hired him. When it came to football, Foley didn’t have a clue. Urban came only because his Utah president had gone to Florida and helped make him decide on coming.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The influence that fans can have, whether intentional or not, is to lose interest in the team. When attendance and interest suffer, usually it will peak the attention of the AD. If one is a loyal fan, then one can be accused of 'accepting mediocrity'. I don't think this is very complicated. Going to Missouri and getting blasted by an 'average' team is not what should happen considering the talent level of the team. Most fans know this, and it's hard to watch our team when adding in the factor of the style of ball we are playing is very unexciting. I hope we turn this around, however it's looking more and more like a disaster of a season. I'm not a proponent of a guy like Bruce Pearl, and considering his baggage I wouldn't want him coaching us. However we all know if we had a semi-top level coach like Pearl with this team we would be much more competitive and doing much better.

4. G8tas

G8tas Senior

Sep 22, 2008
    We have a basketball team?

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    Everybody on this team and coaches want to win. It is frustrating as I am a die-hard Gator fan. I always liked seeing SEC teams come to Gainesville with talented players. I saw Maravich, Chris Jackson, Shaq, Charles Barkley, the Kentucky teams with all the all Americans year after year.
    It has always been exciting to see how we match up. Last year Tennessee was loaded. LSU and Auburn also, but we found a way to compete. So don’t give up hope, I feel we have the talent to make a run. This team is young and needs time to get better.
    January and February will be the ultimate roller coaster. My frustration is when we start a game where the other team stops penetration and we give in to shooting threes which our coach condones, we miss the first seven out of eight shots and are behind and then substitutions start which makes chaos of already a bad situation. I am not a fan of four guards and one big, this is fool’s gold. It is a change up through a tight game, not something you run all the time. I know Villanova has won with this, but your players have to be smart and know when to shoot threes. We chuck it up to start a game when we should be driving, pick and rolls, etc. trying to get close to the basket. No it isn’t easy, but KB shooting threes to start a game just doesn’t seem to be winning basketball!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. gottapanda

gottapanda GC Legend

Jul 22, 2008
    Do you watch the games? Despite what the stats might say, the product on the floor is wildly inconsistent except in the way we continually have the same issues game after game as far as being unable to run offense, failing to guard the 3-point line, failing to manage player rotations effectively, failing to get points in transition, failing to make adjustments on defense, etc, etc, etc.

I’ve been a big fan since the early 90s. I’ve been to over 100 games and now that I live too far away to attend more than a game or two a year, still watch every single game live or a replay. This year hurts especially badly bc there was so much potential and bc so many of our problems should be easily correctable by a competent coach. We now have 5 losses l, including one to a really bad team. We haven’t beaten a single good team yet. There’s not a lot of reason for optimism. The team is just not a good team, despite all the reasons they should be.

I hope we turn it around, but we are halfway through the year and it looks like this is just who we are now. And as long as MW is still here, it looks like we probably won’t see things get better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    I've also lost a lot of interest this season and it seems more pronounced because of the preseason expectations. Hadn't been this excited since Wilbekin/Young teams in the mid '10s. As many others have also admitted... I no longer plan my schedule around gator BB games and just DVR them to watch later. The last two weekends I spent the time watching a different live sport - NFL playoffs. This is meaningful because I don't have a rooting interest in the NFL outside of fantasy football, which was done for the season (standard leagues) weeks ago... and yet I would rather watch that and DVR the Gators.

I am hopeful that our young coach will improve (as some seem to forget a similar early period with Donovan). We are highly likely to give him the time to do so since he keeps getting us to the Dance (also like the similar early period with Donovan). I do wish we played a more entertaining form of ball like those early Donovan teams - the games would be more palatable in the mean time. Since basketball doesn't pay the bills, I don't think the overall reduction in fan interest will force Stricklin's hand.

8. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    Some act like sports are not entertainment. People don't watch bad movies over and over. One can be a loyal fan and still lose interest while still following the team. I watch every game I can. I don't however schedule my day around them nor expect anything other than a complete guessing game as to what to expect no matter how good or bad the opponent although our performances against good teams is unfortunately becoming somewhat more predictable.

I started watching under Don Devoe and counted the wins on one hand excitedly as they came.

I watched Lon Krueger develop a team from obscurity and take them to the final four (b.s. charge call at Harcourt to end the game) and stuck with them when he bailed.

Billy Donovan's teams had their ups and downs but we always saw him coaching his team's and making every effort to try to squeeze the most out of what he had on the roster. At a minimum we were entertaining if not consistent or athletic enough during the calathes years.

At least the last senior class had a reputation for being awesome kids and despite some of the offensive shortcomings seemed to always fight hard and close save for a couple of games (usually fsu unfortunately.)

This team has no identity. KJ seems to be a ridiculously under utilized athletic force. Locke couldn't shoot and now that he is doesnt get enough looks. A team with enough speed and athleticism plays stall ball. No motion on offense. Poor communication. No leader outside of KB who gets into foul trouble too often. Its just a frustrating meandering product. I still root for them and watch, sometimes reluctantly because I am a fan. I have been on the white bandwagon but admittedly its nothing but HOPE that thinks they can turn it around as there is nothing anyone can point to to show any reason to believe things will improve in the near future.

9. OrmondGator

OrmondGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Lots of folks cite such a period with Billy, but it's simply not accurate. Billy's teams struggled the first 2 years, then he was off the races. I'm hopeful Coach White will improve too, but this is year 5.

The team this season is just as disjointed in January as it was in November. It's disheartening.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    This season brought us White’s best recruiting class ever and also the most coveted grad transfer. The ingredients are there to make a great product and the preseason hype was Final Four or bust. White has never had this much talent to work with and it is apparent that he is lost on how to make it reach its potential. He even stated in his Missouri post game interviews that he and the staff felt helpless on the sidelines on knowing what to do. That is unacceptable. You are paid well to coach. If you don’t know what to do in difficult situations then you shouldn’t be a coach at a program like Florida. You should be coaching at a mid level at best school. White isn’t cutting it nor is he gonna. If Florida wants to be relevant on the national basketball scene as we were with Donovan, the search should begin on replacing White. The sooner the better because it isn’t gonna get any better with him as head coach. We are right now what we are gonna be the rest of this season. An average at best team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    last year was the same type of basketball. Hopefully the team won’t explode from within and stick together. We can still get to the tournament, but with a tough schedule this is going to be hard. As a player, with the glaring lights of ESPN, CBS and others coming up, if I want to go further in basketball, this team has to come together for each individual to get what they want. I would think they know they didn’t play good and are working hard to improve. Let’s see what happens this week and next to see how bad do they want it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. maxgator

maxgator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I feel like to participate in this thread I have to write something that's a page and a half long. Since I'm not going to do that I'll simply state that what this team is causing me is apoplexy.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Seattle area

Don't worry. The only requirement to post on this thread is apparently to avoid stating any actual facts or statistics to back up all the doom and gloom. I haven't spotted one yet.

Read an Eric Fawcett article if you want to know what to avoid. But, be careful, the actual stats for this team may not align with the perceptions expressed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Dec 9, 2010
    Wasn't that the line last year and the year before as well? If every team, often with very different players, underperforms, why wouldn't people begin to look at the common denominator? Our shots are not good. Our system is not currently producing good shots nor do our players seem to know where to play defensively. We don't move the ball or move players well. I said the same thing last year and the year before that, each with a different set of players. It is a bit like when people used to say that Muschamp was a good coach that just couldn't make his players complete passes or make tackles. Poor strategy can make good players look much worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    What statistics do you really need at this point? We're 10-5 and those who actually still watch the games have seen so much ugly basketball that we have zero interest in diving into stats.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. drcgator

drcgator Freshman

Nov 19, 2017
    Hi everyone. I post a little on the other fora at GC but I've been a long-time lurker here at NBN. My .02: We went from having a team at PK 80 that the coach of the Golden State Warriors said was fun to watch to what we have today. In my opinion that is because White bludgeoned them to death about defense. We then went through a period where we seemed to be a less-talented version of Virginia, trying to win games 57-56. We were psychologically fragile and with such a small margin for error that was not sustainable. White has never been able to recover the team's psyche. So now we are a more talented but more confused/dysfunctional team where you literally don't know what you are going to get from minute to minute. I have gone from watching games to gamecasting them via espn. Even if we start winning, if the quality of basketball, of the product, does not improve, I'll still just gamecast. I just can't watch this level of bad. I've seen UF teams lose more games than this one but they played better fundamental basketball and were more fun to watch. I guess I can be termed a bad fan, but I'm not even asking for wins. I just want to see basketball where people consistently know what they are doing. I literally don't know what I'm watching half the time. Thanks for letting me give my input and have a great day.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Here’s a stat, 10-5. Enough said.

18. bullish

bullish GC Hall of Fame

Nov 14, 2010
    The Alabama and South Carolina games were both fun to watch. The Alabama game we dug a hole but recovered and played great ball. The South Carolina was a war but we were up to it. Missouri too many days out there, not focused and over confident. Well crap, that didn’t work!
    So, Mississippi comes next, they have a pretty good coach and a decent team, I will watch and know we will probably start slow, chuck threes that clang, but I will keep watching like the Titanic movie, you know the ending! LOL
    I know in the end these guys have the talent to put this one behind us. Auburn on Saturday, undefeated and humming smoothly, the bright lights and the nation watching. I am confident we will give them a game if we don’t panic from missed, ill timed three pointers. I like the three point shot, but if you don't have it, get closer to the basket, runners, hooks, banks, but don’t force layups unless you can get to the rim without getting blocked. Just maybe, a new concept for this team, you just might get a rebound after a miss.
    I will be watching and pulling for the Gators living and dying by the minute. Hang in there, this is your team!

19. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Beginning with the 1971/1972 season, I have been to around 500 games in Gainesville, most of which I was making the 250 mile round trip from Tampa. So, I am not a fair weather fan. This is the most disappointing season that I can recall. I agree conceptually with your post with one big aside; and that is "fora" rather than "forums?" Is Latin your primary language?

20. Jayhovah

Jayhovah GC Hall of Fame

May 15, 2007
    Perhaps! I think maybe I didn't articulate my thoughts that well... Until the early 00's (and outside of our amazing 2000 run) Billy started to get a reputation of fielding teams that could really throw up some clunkers defensively, and were consistently being bounced in the first weekend of the tournament. I recall people calling for his head (as I am sure there are fans doing at every school for ever coach because #fans). But... he had us consistently getting to the Dance and after bringing in Larry Shyatt, turned into one of the best defensive coaches in the country to go along with a consistently great offense.

That time was a little different that now, I suspect because being imbalanced towards offense is much prettier on the eyes and the regular season success (which I think is your point... good point) was also there - more so than these talented White teams.

I really was just thinking abstractly about how there were complaints about performance with many early Donovan teams, and that he (as many good young coaches may be capable of) got much better over the years. I think too many people are writing White off. I'm not sold on him, and I am definitely suffering from reduced interest -- but I am content to let him learn on the job as long as we keep Dancing.

Disclaimer: All of my assertions are based on memory from 15-20 years ago. I could totally be remembering everything wrong.

• Like Like x 2