Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is this team causing a lack of interest?

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by twodaparty, Jan 12, 2020.

1. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Unfortunately I think that’s the case. Gator Nation was excited for basketball season with a top 10 legit final 4 contending team and the performance has been underwhelming to say the least. It’s a shame because this was the season we really could have built fan interest outside of a core group of hardcore fans.

I was speaking with plenty of friends who are football 1st, 2nd and 3rd fans and they even knew about the incoming freshmen, Blackshear, etc. Now they can give two craps and have moved on. Didn’t even realize we played last night.

You can also tell based on posting activity here on NBN that interest is way down. Boards were even quiet from any complaining last night after the game.

What can we do to turn things around? Is there hope?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Most know it isn’t gonna get a lot better while White is coaching so they have settled into accepting mediocrity. Shame that the program has taken such a huge step backwards. They should put a statue of Billy Donovan on campus because it’s looking like we may never have that caliber of basketball coach again.

• Agree x 7
    • Optimistic x 2
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Come On Man x 1
  3. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Fans don't have a choice on 'accepting' or 'rejecting' mediocrity. This is all in our AD Stricklin's hands. Foley's last 3 major hires were Chump, Mac, and MW. IMO, labeling them mediocre is being generous at best. I don't think you can fault the fans on this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. gatorgab

gatorgab Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I don’t care

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. grouchygator

grouchygator Get Off My Lawn Premium Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Foley did right the ship when he hired Dan.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. toprowgator

toprowgator Freshman

Jun 24, 2019
    I guess I'd be considered a half ass basketball fan because I watch about the first half of almost every game. I try my hardest to keep watching, but it's too painful. I also caught myself wondering "when does baseball season start" earlier than normal this year.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TWGator

TWGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    Yes.
    Just not a fun team to watch. You can get away with that somewhat if you're winning, but, so far, it's clear this is a .500 team.
    I've been tuning in to watch most games, but finding myself much more easily distracted than I normally am when I watch Gator sports. Turned off last night 5 minutes into the second half, when it was obvious Mizzou wasn't going to cool off and we weren't going to be able to come back.
    IMO, this will be the downfall of Mike White...an average basketball team combined with an apathetic (and dwindling) fan base.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  8. tmape01

tmape01 Junior

Apr 18, 2007
    Dan was Stricklin’s hire

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. the_alphagator1906

the_alphagator1906 All American

Nov 26, 2013
    Yup, when we ate having these discussions it means the fans (what little we have left) do not care anymore. We should be worried about our seeding, not whether or not the fans do not care. I feel bad for White but this is reality. You have to build an exciting brand of basketball and we are not it right now. It hurts and it is sad but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. twodaparty

twodaparty GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Huh? Not sure if serious.

• Like Like x 2
  11. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    If what you are saying is true they are just bandwagon fans anyway. True fans stick with them regardless. Many of the haters are just spoiled and not old enough to remember the pre NC years. Then you have the haters even a couple of them have already posted here. They love to see the Gators fail so they can start their fire the coach rants. They are very quiet when things are going good but pounce at any loss or sometimes a close game the Gators win.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Did you ever read his score predictions during football season?

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    I've noticed on social media there's close to zero interest now for Florida basketball. My friend is completely done with Gator basketball until White is gone, and I'd consider him a more diehard Gator fan than me. He drove to the Missouri game and watched that slaughter in person. I'll keep watching on tv, but my interest is close to gone. When the same problems happen over and over, it becomes crazy to constantly expect different results.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    They certainly have the power of decision making, but fan enthusiasm has its role. It’s an even bigger problem if fans become so disengaged that there is no “noise in the system” and it’s interpreted as acceptable.

15. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    I used to watch every single game on tv and made my schedule around the games so I wouldn’t miss any of it. Now I watch them if I don’t have anything else to do and if I miss a game, I don’t regret it at all. It really bothers me that this team is underperforming because this was supposed to be the year that we had all the pieces to make a serious run at a Final Four. Now it appears that we will make the tournament and be done either the first or second game. I hope the athletic director isn’t gonna settle for just making the dance and never having a legitimate chance at a nation championship. I will just quit following college basketball altogether if that happens.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. insuragator

insuragator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The team looks like a discombobulated cluster f*&^ on offense and every team we play shoots lights out from 3 so we aren't defending well either. We have excellent players so what gives???

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. toprowgator

toprowgator Freshman

Jun 24, 2019
    I understand your concerns but if we remember what Gator football was like before Spurrier, should we accept a return to those days? Of course not. BD made us one of the top programs in the country and we have every right as fans to want to dublicate or build on past achievements. There's a fine line between a spoiled fan and a fan who feels our team is underachieving and showing no improvement. I think most disgruntled fans fall under the latter of the two.

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, I think the fantasy versus reality gap for this team and season is quite large. I think a bunch of fans are living in the '04 mentality. It is what it is.

I have to think this team is another learning experience for Mike and what he needs to make it work the way he wants. He obviously has a ways to go. Again, it is what it is.

But to the real issue of the OP, are Gator basketball fans fair weather fans? I think there are at least quite a large number of vocal ones. Are there enough of the others? That remains to be seen. I do believe that the "noisy" ones are pretty good at being noisy and that is a hard thing to break.

I am going to say I think Mike is about as good a coach as we are going to get overall. Will the attendance drop enough to make SS make a change before Mike and Co. gets more seasoning? It feels like maybe 40-60 (in Mike's favor). It is still about what happens in late February and all of March and not what happens in early January. And so I do believe much of this fan base is going to feel off-put for the foreseeable future.

And once again, it is what it is, whether we like it or not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. HallGator

HallGator Senile Mod Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Outer Limits
    The season has not ended. We, at this point in the season, can still make plenty of noise. My opinion is far too many fans want to throw in the towel too quickly.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GolphinGator

GolphinGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Gainesville/ Micanopy
    I agree with your post but just because they feel that way does not make them right. Bashing Coach White every time the Gator players miss a shot and then starting threads bashing the coach after the Gators lose gets really old fast. A real fan does not stop watching and caring about the team when they are not very good or are having a bad season.

• Agree Agree x 1