Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is this self-defense or no? Another gun incident (Lubbock, TX)

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by Shade45, Nov 25, 2021.

1. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Murica.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. gator_lawyer

gator_lawyer Premium Member

Oct 30, 2017
    It really looks like a setup to me. Ex-wife wants her ex out of the picture. Knows he's a hothead. So when he comes to get the kid, she refuses to give him the kid, lures him to the porch, and then tries to have her lover bait him into a confrontation that will allow them to kill him. Maybe I'm being too conspiratorial, but that's what it feels like to me.

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. mutz87

mutz87 p=.06 VIP Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Something def seems off, quite possibly calculated, plus an absence of fear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ridgetop

ridgetop GC Hall of Fame

Aug 4, 2020
    Top of the ridge
    probably Murder. And I agree that I think it was a setup...but as usual ill wait to see what evidence comes out before making definitive statements.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015

My guess is the Texas rangers are the only hope for justice here.

6. 108

108 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    NYC
    Which side will right wing Murica take?

• Come On Man Come On Man x 4
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Did not know that. Sadly a lot of DAs no matter their political affiliation are very corrupt. Did the GA governor do anything about the DA?

Also who has the video and how did it get leaked? If the DA knew of the video and still didn’t press for charges, that pos needs to removed from position.

8. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    The idiot should and will be in prison.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Atlanta

The former DA has been indicted for obstruction and is awaiting trial. She told the shooter to calm down, go home and clean up and failed to process the scene as a crime scene.

In addition to obstruction I’d prefer she had been also been charged with felony murder as an accessory after the fact-let’s teach these racist pos small town prosecutors a lesson once and for all.

The jury reached the right result bit it too a whole lot of extra-judicial effort by the family and others for there to have even been a jury in the first place.

The video was released by one of the defendants (recorded on his phone) who, thankfully, for some foolish reason, thought it would help.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    I am no lawyer and no nothing about the way the laws are written in Texas, but stand your ground seems to be getting exposed as a really rally bad idea. Self defense is one thing, stand your ground is being abused as a defense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. surfn1080

surfn1080 Premium Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I agree with most of what you said. No idea who these people really are so won’t go with calling them racist.
    I understand it that these people knew from security footage is what a black male who had been trespassing on properties.
    Was their any evidence they tried to detain and eventually shot him due to skin color?

12. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Don’t worry, they’ll find some way to blame this on Biden/The Left/Da Libz

BTW this is blatant murder.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 3
  13. swampbabe

swampbabe GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Viera, FL
    One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is the role of local journalists in this case. One in particular never stopped asking questions and wrote several articles about the case.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    This shooter probably sees other douchebags in America getting away with self-defense/stand your ground, so he decided “Hey let me try it too”

• Come On Man Come On Man x 2
  15. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Or maybe Christina Read plotted alone to get both men out of her life. Not hard to manipulate a couple of hot-headed male idiots into this very outcome. Now she can walk away from the whole thing and nobody can prove anything as long as she wasn't dumb enough to put anything self-incriminating in a text.

16. orangeblue_coop

Nov 19, 2016
    And this is why people need to stop blindly blasting the media and journalists and labeling everything they don’t like “fake news.”

Salute to the brave Larry Hobbs, I bet he was risking his life in that corrupt town by continuing to poke around and ask questions about this coverup.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Stand your ground, in and of itself, seems like a good thing to me.

It’s nothing other than eliminating the duty to retreat, and while it probably does put some people who could have just as easily avoided the entire encounter in the clear, I’m not really comfortable with the idea that the validity of your self-defense claim turns on 12 people weighing, after-the-fact, without the stress of being in the situation and with the benefit of hindsight and better knowledge than you had at the time, whether they think you could have safely run away from the threat.

I also don’t think Stand Your Ground has anything to do with this killing - his problem is that I don’t know that there’s anything suggesting he would have been in reasonable fear of death or great bodily harm prior to his stupid “warning shot” (or whatever shooting at the dead guy’s feet was supposed to be) in the first place, not that he was actually in danger but could have safely run away. About his best argument that he had reasonable fear is probably the dead guy’s comment, after he went and got the gun of “you better use it or I will take it and I will,” and in context that seems pretty thin as the justification here.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  18. danmann65

May 22, 2015
    Was that the plot of body heat?

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Wow. That was disturbing. Not self defense. I don’t see how it is even debatable

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Swamplizard

Swamplizard VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    That wasn't self defense that was murder without a doubt, that wasn't even stand your ground....

• Agree Agree x 1