Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is there any doubt....

Discussion in 'Alligator Alley (other sports)' started by grizgator, Jun 12, 2022.

1. grizgator

grizgator VIP Member

Apr 10, 2007
    ...that Mouse Holloway is, by far, the best coach UF has at the moment...and that's saying something. Further, I would venture to say he is one of the very best collegiate coaches in the country in any sport. I am in awe of what he has accomplished.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    UF has 45 national championships, Mouse is responsible for 12. That is more than 25%.

He is the GOAT.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  3. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    We need an upgrade to our T&F facilities that are deserving for the school's and NCAA's most dominate T&F program. And to keep Holloway happy. Gainesville (Alachua County) is building an indoor NCAA-certified banked track (see images in link).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bigDgator

bigDgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I am not arguing that he is the isn't the best, but he has a chance at 4 national titles a year, so it is a little unfair to just compare numerically. He has won 3 national titles in the last 3 months. Other coaches do not have that opportunity. That said, it would be hard to argue that he is not the best.

And yes, get that man a raise and build him whatever he wants please. That Oregon track facility is absolutely nuts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Small correction...
    Technically he has a shot at 6 national titles per year. Cross-country, indoor and outdoor track. Men's and women's.
    it is hard to compare that to a football, volleyball etc. coach who gets 1 shot per year. But we can agree the numbers are impressive.

I'm not sure what he needs in terms of facilities. We have a good one.
    But I'm sure there are other areas where he could be supported.

I would love to see NIL step in to supplement track. Men's track especially only has 12.6 scholarships and the teams are 30+.
    This is one reason our XC hasn't been great- I think only 1 scholarship (total) is allocated to distance. (Men- women are probably more.)

IMO this would help Mouse far more than an Oregon type facility.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    he is not the cross country coach

7. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 6, 2012
    charlotte
    We are upgrading or just upgraded the track locker rooms and area. The track itself is in very good shape. His office is top of the line..the indoor facilities is something that was easier done through the county. It is going to be top of the line also and so many pros already come here to train they will come even heavier now for those times to get indoor training. Mouse is a legend and deserves all that is great happening within the program

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

I might make a distinction between "the best" and the "most successful." He is certainly the most successful, but "the best" includes how much impact on the University, fans, athletic improvement, preparation for life, etc. I admire him greatly, and he goes on the Hall of Fame, but not sure I could declare, "the best."

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  9. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Mouse is the head coach officially.
    Solinsky is the assistant in charge of distance.

Here is Mouse's bio
    Mike Holloway - Head Coach - Sprints/Hurdles/Relays - Staff Directory - Florida Gators

MIKE HOLLOWAY

• TITLE

Head Coach - Sprints/Hurdles/Relays
    • Head Men’s and Women’s Track & Field and Cross Country Coach
    • 2020 Toyko Olympics U.S. Track & Field Head Coach
    • 20th season as Florida men’s head coach
    • 15th season as Florida women’s head coach

10. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Plenty of land on campus to have a top notch indoor track facility.

11. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I went to the link but I didn't see it.
    Where is the new indoor track again?

From what I saw, it's miles from campus. (Though again I'm not exactly sure where.)
    If so, I agree w/ TJ above that we should build an indoor only facility on campus.

12. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Looks like over by Spurriers Grille, not close but not too far either. Not sure where they could build on campus

13. gatornharlem

gatornharlem GC Legend

Dec 16, 2018
    New York City
    Scroll down past "Stay Busy On and Off Campus" where you see the rendering of an indoor facility with multiple basketball courts and click on the forward button until you see the indoor banked track.
    It is by Spurrier Grille in Celebration Pointe adjacent to I-75. It is not an UF facility. It is thru Alachua County Sports and funded by the county’s tourist development tax, commonly known as the bed tax. It is NCAA-compliant. This is why it wasn't built on campus. The estimated cost is $68.5 million. I do agree UF should have an indoor track facility. We did have one for over 35 years until then remodeling of the O-Dome. They could've spent as little more $$ and designed the indoor football field a little larger to include a track? The curved banks could be removed when needed. Even though we are in the subtropics, you can not imitate an indoor track with a bank on an outdoor track. The NCAA top T&F programs have an indoor track facility, including southern schools like Texas A&M, Arkansas (they have an awesome indoor track, and a separate facility for offices, weights, recovery pools, nutrition, etc specifically for both T&F and baseball-the 2 programs share it-check it out, here too) and LSU. Tennessee is about to build an indoor track. TA&M (oil), Arkansas (WalMart) and LSU have donors with heavy pockets and have outstanding athletic facilities for all of their programs. They always seem to be building /upgrading their facilities. Texas is another school with lots of $$ (they're opening a brand new basketball venue) and when they join the SEC, they'll be another program to contend with in the ongoing top facilities arms race in the conference. For all the complaining people have with Strickland, he does know how to raise $$ from our donors. We got so far behind with our last AD.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1