Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Father's Day is coming.... Give your Dad a gift he’ll appreciate all year long and save up to $20!

This year, for a limited time and in limited quantities, you can take advantage of our Father's Day Special package and get a discount on top of it. This special won't be around long, so here's how to jump on it now -- click here for details!

Is Math Racist?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Feb 26, 2021.

1. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Hall of Fame

Apr 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. archigator_96

archigator_96 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2020
    Number 5 is a trick question. He can't get to exactly 900 bucks that way. See, math IS racist.

3. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's 2/3 of a corvette...after you and your Mexican homies saw the car into pieces.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. kygator

kygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    If that’s what they meant then that’s what they should have said. I disagree with snopes claiming it’s false just because the ODE said something different when they were asked about it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Can you be more obnoxious?

6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Yeah, Snopes doesn't often let you just dig yourself out like that.

7. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Looks like you can. I’m surprised the mods haven’t banned you. There’s no excuse for that kind of BS.

8. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Look at it this way. It's certainly an attempt to answer the OP's question.

9. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Apparently liberals are lacking a sense of humor.
    Unless they're spending your money.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Trickster

Trickster Premium Member

Sep 20, 2014
    If I’d never seen another of your posts, I’d have thought it merely very poor taste, but it was more than that. It was racist and insensitive. My view is not a liberal one, but a Christian one.

11. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    If blacks perform more poorly in math than whites and asians statistically, then the question is why is that? Either it's something endemic to black people (which is highly unlikely) or it's environmental. Of the environmental factors you have either bad schools or a home situation where maybe educational achievement isn't emphasized. I'm not sure I see how teaching math in a way that nobody's feelings get hurt is getting at those issues. All it does is close doors in life for those students because they can't get into colleges and jobs that require math proficiency. No matter how much emphasis Boeing puts on diversity in hiring, they are not going to hire someone who got a touchy feely math education to design the successor to the 737 max. You get equality by closing the achievement gap, not by lowering the bar for everyone that's not white.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  12. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Environmental factors would include systemic racism too

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. njg8tor2

njg8tor2 All American

Aug 30, 2020
    I think it's difficult to discuss the factors that may impede the performance of Black students in a way that doesn't also stigmatize Black students. Some factors might overlap with poverty generally whereas others might be unique to Black Americans. What is evident is that being treated as low status is awful for a child's health: some potential consequences being higher cortisol (stress levels) and deceased levels of grey matter in the brain. It could be an issue of a child being distracted because of a chaotic homelife or distracted because of post-traumatic changes in the brain.

This is a topic is not only incredibly complicated scientifically, it's complicated politically. The well meaning byline is that children of all races can learn exactly the same, which may not be true. But belief that isn't true on the part of educators and the part of other students may contribute to the problem. I think we vastly underestimate the effect social status has on an individual, and vastly underestimate the degree to which our own behavior may unwittingly contribute to the situation. And this includes sorting students between smart and dumb like we do with grades.

So we focus on peripheral or vague issues like cultural bias, which may be a proxy for ither issues, because we can't identify and treat the totality of the problems in an immediate way To me the issue really isn't the motivation for policy change, it is whether the changes proposed might have some benefit.

• Like Like x 3
  14. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    There are a lot of studies that show black children are subjected to disciplinary action in schools more than other children (for similar offenses). There is obviously no one factor, but when the education system treats you as a problem from the beginning, its tough to expect good results.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. wgbgator

wgbgator Premium Member

Apr 19, 2007
    A Van Down By the River
    Another interesting thing here is that the OP is so politically charged because it attempts to modify white behavior, rather than black behavior.

16. gatorpika

gatorpika GC Hall of Fame

Sep 14, 2008
    Agree. Within the school you have issues like poor schools without enough resources and that drives back to how education is funded with rich people living in the best school districts. You have bias in the classroom as well. I would assume that the curriculum that all students get with differing achievement levels is part of that, especially for objective subjects like math.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. l_boy

l_boy GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2009

I'm an expert on racial issues because I watched the entire wire series....twice.

18. MaceoP

MaceoP GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I believe that cultural factors play a very large role in course & school outcomes. I also believe that black kids are no different in learning capability than white, asian, hispanic, or any other race/ethnic group.
    There's a reason why you see all these Indian kids winning spelling bees. It's not because they have some inherent ability to spell and remember better than kids of a different background.. It's obviously because their parents, with resources, set the framework for these kids to dive into spelling bees head first. These kids work very hard at it.
    When i was in high school many years ago, the school i went to was one which you had to take a test to get in. The school was not a neighborhood school, and every student there (6k or so) had to take a subway or bus to get there. We had a very diverse student population. The asian kids in particular were very studious, however in reality they were no smarter than anyone else. Besides studying, which we all did, they never went out to hang out, drink, party etc. It was all business for them (don't know if it was there choice or not).
    My old high school now is a subject of controversy as the city wants to do away with the test because there aren't enough black and hispanic kids getting in. NYC currently is approx 32% white, 29% hispanic, 22% black, 15% asian and some others. The school demographics are currently 60% asian, 24% white, 8% hispanic and 8% black. Obviously the school is heavily 'favoring' asians. This can easily be explained by the fact that alot of these asian kids, besides being smart, actually study and take prep courses to get a very high mark on the entry test. This is because the parents not only have money to do this, they also push the kids to do this.
    I do believe that for any fairly intelligent kid, when they have supportive parents that help the kids to succeed and set (demand) a standard of academic success, that is the biggest external factor (besides the kids hard work) in academic achievement.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    You don't say...

20. cluckugator

cluckugator VIP Member

Aug 16, 2007
    “The concept of math being purely objective is unequivocally false” is something I agree with in the business world.

Haven’t read the thread, but see my boy GatorKnights is on, so will pass the torch.

Just responding to the first line in the article. Math can’t be racist. How people manipulate it can be all sorts of bad things.

• Agree Agree x 1