Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is it to early to talk about next season?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by dadx4, Jun 2, 2019.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    WES—

Y’all can always have a magnetic sign made “SECTION E” and hang it where you’re grouped!;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    It is now water under the bridge as it looks like Dalton is going pro. I also cringed at some of his routes to fly balls but he had enough speed to make up for most of those mistakes. Fabian also covered up some of his bad routes.

I agree that we need to have Young in the line up. He can hit and is maybe the only Gator that knows how to bunt. But we need to get him off of second base and into the outfield and if there is no space there DH was an option. He did OK at second, but when you want to go to Omaha you need better than OK at second as well as SS and catcher defensively. Defense up the middle this year killed us except for Fabian, but his bat wasn't that loud. Fabian as a freshman was a Buddy Reed lite, but I think has some upside with his bat. His D is already stellar.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    I thought Fabian’s bat was coming around at the end of the season and think he will be much better at the plate next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Jud’s Bat unfortunately was not coming around.

5. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    The new infield coach should be able to work with JY. He was on his own this year. A little effort from the new coach will fix the throwing motion.

6. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    Who is this "new infield coach" you keep talking about?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Obviously: gtrsldrs

8. LonedawgUF

LonedawgUF Premium Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Oviedo, FL
    I'm sorry...what? Fielding percentage is the measure of success of the plays you attempt. We can get into the whole "Fielding Bible" conversation with range and what have you but Fielding % absolutely has something to do with how well you field your position. What good is range if you don't complete the play? Why are great defenders great? Its not because they can get to balls that others cant, its because they can get to balls that others cant and COMPLETE the play...Brooks Robinson, Ozzie Smith, Roberto Alomar and so on. 95% of the guys across MLB are just asked to make the routine play. Gold Gloves are given to the guys that make the routine play and then some. Young made the most of the routine plays which is not bad considering he was/is an outfielder.

I've followed this back and forth through the thread and Young did just fine at 2nd. He will never be considered a plus defender at 2nd (neither was David Eckstein) but considering how "fish out of water" he was there, he did just fine. Dalton is fine, however limited, in the OF. If you are asking me who I would rather have in the OF for defense its Young...period. The kid covers A LOT more ground and plays smart.

I like Young a lot. He is a Dalton Guthrie/David Eckstein type of player. Just none stop hustle, puts the ball in play and gives you everything he has.

At the end of the day they were both in the lineup for their bats, not their defense. If I look out in the grass next year and see Fabian and Young as 2/3rds of my outfield...well...I am going to make the comment that not a lot of balls are going to hit the ground out there.

If 2nd base is Young's future, or at least Sully's vision of Young's future, it is doable with reps. Lots and lots of reps. The throwing motion CAN BE corrected or at the very least made serviceable. I've seen it happen. I've also seen people struggle with changes to natural motions. The throwing motion thing is up to Young to put in the time. The Tebow argument does not apply to this as no one is training him to be NFL QB accurate. From second base you just have to get it close and an average 1st baseman will take care of the rest. No one is asking him to be Roberto Alomar. If he can just be David Eckstein-ish that would be just fine. You will never find a coach teaching a kid to throw like Eckstein but it worked...all the way to a World Series MVP and MLB All-Star.

Just to be clear, Eck is my favorite Gator baseball player and one of my favorite overall Gators of all time. He is the one I point to when I tell me kids about what is possible with effort.

• Like Like x 1
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I told someone the other day Young should just spend the summer in Sanford with Rick and David Eckstein

10. LonedawgUF

LonedawgUF Premium Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Oviedo, FL
    Here is the strange thing. People give Young a hard time with his throwing motion but its not all that dissimilar to the way Eck threw the ball. He just needs to shorten it up a little bit so he can get rid of the ball quicker. The rest is just reps. I still think his spot is in the outfield but I like what the kid brings to the table.

• Agree Agree x 1