Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is it to early to talk about next season?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by dadx4, Jun 2, 2019.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    But damn, Sully was a catcher. We need a real catcher and not an infielder donning the tools of ignorance and doing the best that he can.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Young would be a superior OF to Dalton ,Lang or Calilou.....why would you ever DH him to play any of them defensively? Makes no sense.
    Dalton is surely gone now, so things are opening up.....but if Sully wants Calilao in RF still have some figuring to do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Superior to Dalton? I disagree. Dalton has a great arm and knows what to do with a ball when he catches it. But he is likely gone and probably makes The Show someday. He has speed and a quick bat.

Maybe superior to Lang but I don't know that. Lang swings a good bat from the left side. Hard to take him out of the line-up unless that is your DH. Swinging from the left side is a big advantage and he has enough arm from left field and is quick enough to catch a lot of balls.

Calilou is at first base unless you want Butler there. That could be a position that you swing both ways depending on the starting pitcher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Dalton coming back and showing he can hit the curveball makes a ton of sense. If he goes before round 20 I’d be shocked.

Come back and Rock a 325 15 50 season.

5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    What do you think, give him another year and see if he works out?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. gtrsldrs

gtrsldrs Freshman

Oct 22, 2018
    Brad is the infield coach btw. Or was...

7. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Uh, Dalton was drafted in the 8th round

8. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Absolutely superior to Dalton...maybe a lesser arm, but I 've seen plenty of Dalton bad angles and misplays. Young has better speed and from what I have seen has better reads. Don't think it's even close when comparing him to Lang as a defender. Of course Lang doesn't come out of the lineup....but that doesn't make him a better defender. It just clouds how Sully builds a defense next season.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Young faster than Dalton? I think not but maybe a wash.

Dalton has made a few misplays in right, but how many did Young make in right? Now lets say how many misplays did Young make at second and how many did Dalton make at second? You will not win this.

Lang reads the ball really well and gets to almost every one that can be caught and some that I am amazed that he got to especially in foul territory. His arm is OK and OK is fine for left field. He is a pitcher after all so you expect his arm is at least OK.

10. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Uh, I missed there for sure haha.

Love Will but cannot see 8th rd money. 255 once pitchers got a book on him. Dingers cut in half.

11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I literally have no idea what you are talking about in the second paragraph re the misplays.....but having seen Dalton for 2 years in the OF I'm just not a fan. And I'm gonna take Young in that footrace too.

Here is an interesting item though. Dalton playing in his natural position had the same fielding % as Young did playing in a totally unnatural and new position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Lol, I was a little surprised too....guess they like the pop

13. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Fielding % has nothing to do with how you field the position. If you thought so you would say that Ron Santo was about the same as Brooks Robinson at 3B.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. 23fabe23

23fabe23 VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    As much as I loved Wil Dalton, I have to agree it was a bit of a circus out there. His routes were not clean and the arm strength this year was well below what it had been last year. There were some obvious misplays on balls that should have been caught or even just hemmed up.

To judge Young's play at second base is not a fair comp as an OF. The kid was playing out of position and needs to be applauded for a do whatever is asked mentality but he was out over his skis to help the team. I also would say he is hands down faster than Wil. If you put an OF alignment together with him in one corner and Jud in center then the other corner guy would literally have to cover about 15% of the OF

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly my thoughts...you just said it better than I did. The reads and the routes in RF have been an issue for 2 years.....and from what I can see the speed differential is pretty clear as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    hey! section A is doing just fine, put the E Hecks somewhere else.....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Honestly, I don't care about 3B side or 1B side, I just like to be able to see into the opposing dugout so we can properly STEP, STEP, STEP, SI'DOWN! (NEXT!) Besides, we'll probably have a modern section numbering; something unique like "100, 101, 102, etc." They should name the sections after GATOR greats, "Sweet, I got tickets in the Blue Grass/Bad Ass section!" Not me, I'm up in the "@wingtee Beer Garden!"

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    at long last you posted something worthwhile @WESGATORS you need to email ADSS with this one :)

u no i b just kidding except for the ad part

20. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Kind of reminds me of the song "I got friends in low places".

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1