Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is it to early to talk about next season?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by dadx4, Jun 2, 2019.

1. dadx4

dadx4 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Gainesville, Fl
    Sorry but for me I was frustrated with the pitching. I get it, we are super young. I knew we would struggle this year but not like this. Any who what are you guys thinking about how we look for next season? I am hoping for improvement on the mound and hopefully host a regional. I will tip my hat for the hitters bringing in 28 runs this weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. cecil

cecil Premium Member

May 31, 2007
    me, thinking about next year too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    Would be great if we could bottle up the offensive performance and save it for next year to go along with improved pitching. Lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    Need to wait for the draft imo.

Know:
    - Nelly, Reese gone

Assume:
    - Dyson, McConnell are gone

Likely:
    - Dalton gone unless he just loves school. Might be able to make a bit coming back but all-in-all, he probably should start his pro career.

Wildcards:
    - Langworthy

Then add the incoming freshmen. Plus who transfers out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Southwest flights can open up as early as late November to early December for June 2020.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    I would expect to see several new faces in key positions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Need better catching.
    Better fielding at SS ( gonna miss his bat).
    CF is set, just need Jud to get better at the plate - for the whole season. (Some injuries may have dogged him) .
    Pitching development is going to be critical.
    Need some variety, IMO....maybe get one or 2 to drop down.
    Need more lefties, too, on staff.

What were our final #’s. (Batting, fielding, pitching)
    How did conference play differ from early season?

These numbers can be used as the measuring stick to gauge improvement over next season.

8. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Yes, it is too early. I think we should spend the remaining month of June with the taste of dog poo in our mouths. That way we will be ecstatic when it gets filled with filet mignon in the next year or two.

Or we could try to feel good about our program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Greg—

As has been mentioned by a few well known posters here, I think the exit interviews that are imminent will be quite telling for next year’s Gator baseball team—

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DoubleDown11

DoubleDown11 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Calilao, Young, Fabian, and Acton are all going to be players.

If your big problem is that the pitching needs to be sorted out and you have Kevin O'Sullivan responsible for that, you're going to be fine.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I actually hope Sully can temper things a little.....there just feel like so much potential I hope we don't chase too may guys and start over. Heck, wouldn't have minded keeping a guy like Hines who we saw yesterday, lefty throwing a ton of junk but ate some crucial innings and changed things up. A kid like Andrew Baker could have helped this year..
    I look at position players too...hope a kid like Pena hangs around.

Lot of questions. Ruth, Hunter Mc, Milchin. How does Armstrong fit moving forward. Do the backup catchers have a future?
    Will be very interesting....starting with draft slots tonight

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Texas Teach held DBU to 2 runs in two games. We held DBU to 20 runs in two games. Enough said. But a lot of SEC teams had freshman starters. So there is hope!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. mkmoney

mkmoney Freshman

Jan 18, 2019
    Sully's usual pitching formula is to have 4-5 experienced arms eat up all the crucial innings and bring the freshman along slowly and put them in spots to succeed to build confidence so by the end of the season they are ready to be the next big thing.

This plan got blown up because Dyson, Mace, Leftwich, and Butler all regressed. Instead many of the freshman were thrown to the wolves and behaved exactly how freshman behave under pressure.

You saw it yesterday vs DBU. Pogue is cruising and he makes an 0-2 mistake pitch which leaves the yard. Next thing, he can't get anyone out. Crisp comes in and gets squeezed by the ump on two nice pitches right on the knees. Last year Singer gets those calls and it's a punch out. Instead the ump doesn't give them to the freshman and he walks the batter. Now Crisp's confidence is shot and he can't pitch strikes.

The talent is there, I just hope Sully can rebuild the confidence and reshape the young arms. If Sully can't do it, no one can.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Baker and Hines completely change this team. I’m with you on hoping not a lot of kids transfer. I think we lose good kids that way sometimes.

15. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. It's a tough dynamic. Kids want to play, and coach needs to make room for new roster guys....but too much turnover can really bite you. Plenty of times where guys like a Jeremy Vasquez, John Sternagel, Logan Browning could have been a productive upperclassman had they stayed.
    But who do we not get if those kids stay. That's the wild card

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. stingbb

stingbb Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I agree with APK and would be very surprised to see a lot more kids leave than normal. But for some kids, it may be better off for them to transfer. I believe in Logan Browning’s case, for example, he wanted to both pitch and hit at UF. We could have used his LH arm but not sure he was good enough to be an everyday player at UF. He went to Florida Southern where he could do both and had a nice career. Another example is Keenan Bell who when he transferred to Tampa upset a lot of posters. But Bell fizzled out at Tampa and I believe has quit baseball.

Every situation is different but by and large, transfers tend to work out for both the player and the school he is leaving.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yep...Sternagel wanted to be a SS, wasn't happening at UF. Has a super career at Fl Tech. Browning was great as a pitcher and RF/DH at Southern, never would have happened at UF. Coaches have a lot of challenges when assembling a roster, and that's not even factoring in the draft equation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. GatorLurker

GatorLurker VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Young played out of position this year. I expect he will be in the outfield next year.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Two thoughts.....he could take a zillion ground balls and become a 2b, or he moves back to OF. But what if Lang and Dalton return?

20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    apk—

I understand the zillion ground balls but that throwing motion is just not gonna change—not very conducive for DP’s IMHO—

• Agree Agree x 5