Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is it time for Satan to move on?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by largartos, Jan 8, 2019.

1. justinwitt07

justinwitt07 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 7, 2018
    Atlanta , GA
    Thought locksley was going to Maryland after Game??

2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's time for the SEC to move their head quarters out of Alabama. Maybe Atlanta... some other place would be better suited for that prestigious governing body. Maybe ESPN's World of Sports in Orlando would help the SEC with all the haters at ESPN. :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I like the way you think.

4. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    Maybe he’s getting 5 stars at the wrong positions? Can’t coach them up? In game coaching bad? No idea

5. GCNumber7

GCNumber7 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It does feel like a turning point. Clemson is actually very young and has their PED program well established. UGA is putting up a fight at least in recruiting. We are finally competently run.

Having said that, Bama just went 14-1 and dominated the SEC in a way we had not seen since Spurdog in the mid 90s. They will also continue to cheat with impunity so I don’t see the wheels falling off.

I think the best outcome from last night’s game is the fact that Clemson didn’t just beat them. They dominated them, they embarrassed them, they emptied their bench and took a knee at the goal line up 30 points. They could have hung 50 on them but took pity. You cannot overstate the significance of this.

Bama has not been embarrassed like this since Saban’s first year. Clemson took the air of invincibility away from them last night. Teams will no longer be intimidated running out of the tunnel. That was Tyson vs. Buster Douglas. Except Buster took the form of a 19 year old white boy with Fabio hair.

It’s a new day in CFB. Thank you Clemson. Thank you Fabio.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  6. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I did the same thing. I fell asleep, and when I woke up it was 33-16.

7. ApexNC

ApexNC VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    NC
    This. Very little chance that 3 guys caught for PEDs doesn't represent a larger program wide effort at Clemson. And Bama isn't going anywhere anytime soon. We'll see these two in the championship game next year too

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. recongator

recongator GC Legend

Nov 26, 2017
    Pensacola
    ^^^
    This
    He would definitely want to go out on top

9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Tell you right now... If Saban suddenly up and left, you'd see Trey Sanders wanting out of his LOI and come to UF.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He just landed an incredible class which is another great class on top of great classes. He lost a NC game so he should leave?

He has NC talent for the next 3 seasons so he should leave because he did not win the NC Game?

The problem is he does not have his normal stable of great coaches. He's going to hire a new OC- he needs to choose carefully. His DC may not be up to it and if so Saban will replace him. He also has a couple of bozos on his coaching roster- Butch Jones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    First, I don't think Bama's success is all about Saban, although I am not claiming he isn't a fine coach. To me what makes Bama Bama today is what we don't see or we "see" but no one wants to address it.

What does that Bama want? Is - let me make my best analogy - going 39-1 okay? If it is with the occasional NC then he will stay as long as he wants to collect huge paychecks living in that state. But if what we see is a chink in the armor - passionate play can win over overwhelming size (think program and not individual players) then it is plausible that Bama wants a coach who can bring the passion to the team.

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Butch counts as two?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. largartos

largartos Premium Member

Jun 4, 2007
    It is inevitable that all coaches reach that point where they and their program become stale and need infusion of new blood. I think that time has come for the gumps.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bayportgator

Bayportgator Junior

Jul 11, 2007

Yeah Saban's definitely not leaving on a beatdown. He is sitting in his regeneration chamber right now, working to repair and refuel the Death Star.

images.jpg

15. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    I remember early in game they had a false start inside the 5-yard line, i waited for them to pan to Saban breaking his headset. But his reaction completely surprised me, Very little emotion. It left me wondering if he thought he had this game easy or he had lost his fire.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Bayportgator

Bayportgator Junior

Jul 11, 2007
    Early on Bama looked stronger than Clemson and the general idea in my household was that they would fall behind in the first half but hey, Bama always eventually steamrolls. Heck they were tied 10-10 at halftime this year with the CITADEL. I think Saban saw them overpowering Clemson and breaking loose eventually. Oops. I imagine he had roofing nails for breakfast this morning. Dude is angry. Heck he was raging at the halftime interview.

17. maxgator

maxgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Really? I mean really. Are you THAT fan. If Mullen wins us 5 NCs over the next 10 years are you going to sit there and say we need an infusion of fresh blood because we win the SEC, go 14-1 and get our asses kicked in the national championship game . . .which we are playing in for the what 4th year in a row.

C'mon.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. RealGatorFan

RealGatorFan Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    That's why Florida hasn't won a title in a decade. You. This fan base. Every dynasty had their ups and downs. Bama got outplayed but they had their chances to recover. They had more injuries this year than any SEC team. 7 4 and 5 star athletes by far better than even our best were out by the mid-point of the season. By the time they got to the CFP, they were playing true freshmen in the secondary with very little experience. Seriously look at our depth chart in the Michigan game and remove our 4 best defensive starters and replaced them with true freshmen. Do you think we still win?

The key to last night's game with the Clemson DC. He had one week to figure out how to stop Tua and he came up with by far the most brilliant defensive scheme I've seen in 40 years. Usually, you see this over a month layoff but he did it over a week. Everyone knew it was going to be 40-something to 40-something score, but Clemson's defensive game plan was the best of all time. They won't keep their DC for too much longer. He's going to have his own gig before long.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. coach

coach GC Hall of Fame

Dec 5, 2008
    Boca Raton
    Did anyone notice that walk back to the locker room look like a congested mess. Didn't look like you hustle back to the locker room to start your halftime adjustments if you tried. Saban looked like he was stuck in a traffic jam trying to get someplace.

20. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Sorry to have p___d in your cornflakes. Methinks you are reading too much. Why don't you think about the reason why Spurrier left (and perhaps why Urban retired the first time)? Elite success takes a lot of effort. Once you - and just as important the fans - sees it many times it seems like it is easy (the fans) or not worth the effort (the team/coach).

I am not saying I would not want the record that Saban has amassed or that he doesn't have anything left in his tank but if the team/coaches hear the expectations of the fans and it does not match what they are feeling at the time then it is very plausible that the HC decides to move on.

But like I said, if he does not mind making boatloads of money and living in Bama then he can continue. But he may be hearing things from the fans he was not expecting.