Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!
  1. Folks, some of you have asked if we were trimming our forums since there are no sports at the moment. We’re going to keep everything open on the forums to provide a sense of normalcy here. It’s our hope Gator Country can be a place of comfort for you during these crazy times. Be safe my friends and take care. -Ray and the GC staff. GO GATORS IN AL KINDS OF WEATHER!

PS. If you happen to find yourself in tight financial circumstances with regards to renewing here please reach out to us. We’d be happy to help sort it out.

Is it scheme or personnel?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator34654, Jan 1, 2020.

1. gator34654

gator34654 GC Hall of Fame

Jun 5, 2007
    When it comes to our db's, is it scheme or personnel?? It is very clear that our DC wanted to stop VA qb from running the ball and he succeeded. We played zone which kept all eyes on the qb so if he ran it would be contained. Of course, VA had other plans, they were well prepared to attack our zone with short passes and succeeded. It was a clear chess game.

When it comes to our DC, does he prefer constant usage of zone coverage or does he employ that because he feels we don't have the personnel to utilize press coverage? For those of you in the know, has he primarily utilized zone coverages wherever he has been? Is this his preferential scheme? (I hope not). As has been pointed out, playing zone is more complicated that man, and opens up more opportunities for blown coverages. Great qb's can pick apart zone coverages imo. I feel that we can beat most teams we play with or without zone coverages, but against great teams, I prefer press coverages, disrupt their timing. So, what say you?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m thinking we don’t have the talent in enough places back there to play man. Especially with CJ sitting, and both rush ends playing hurt. Our secondary has been overrated all year

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I believe it’s personnel. We need more athletic LBs for pass coverage and DBs that better understand their roles.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    and if we go to man to man against a great running QB, that can open you up to some damage with him taking off -- I believe.

5. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Definitely still building a full roster. Probably will be 2021 before they are where they want/need to be to really have an elite defense with this scheme. We've played good ball on that side the last two years, but they've constantly been hiding skill set and depth issues as best they can.

Even better days ahead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    A few 6'-7" linebackers with 7 ft wingspans wouldn't hurt either.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    It's almost never as simple as an either/or proposition. A bevy of factors play into the equation, including strengths/weaknesses, scheming for those strengths/weaknesses, quality of opponent offenses, injuries, etc. With that, though, it's not as if this UF defense was bad.

Total defense #10
    Scoring defense #7
    Sacks #4
    Turnovers #18
    Passing defense #32
    Rushing defense #9
    Red zone defense #3

If guess the pass defense is the outlier, but it's hard to lament a defense when all the other facets are so strong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. robertgator

robertgator All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Red zone #3. Nice. Bend don't break isn't bad when you don't break!

9. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    Our zone coverage would look a little better if our tackling was good (cough, Marco, cough). Those short passes are ok to give up if sure tackling is at hand. It wasn’t. More concerning to me was the number of deep routes that were open. The VA QB overthrew 2 sure TDs on guys open deep. If we can get someone to play star like Chauncey did (outstanding tackling his last year), at least one safety with closing speed, and a few LBs who can cover, I think this defensive scheme will work fine. I would like to see more press coverage against guys like Fromm and Burrow, who carved us up in zone. At least mix it up some, but we need another Elam or two to make it work consistently.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    During most of the year, the problems have been at the star position and weak coverage by linebackers. However, when playing a good QB, we slinked into a very passive zone which allowed those QBs to have tremendous success.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Linebacker play slow in coverage. Reese, Miller, Houston...all not good in coverage and teams took advantage of it.
    Poor star play. Star position often looked lost, being caught flat footed half way between drops.
    Poor poor tackling by db. I cant remember a huge nasty hit by a db after the reciever caught the pass. Ohio State db backs where stepping into their tackles , hitting with a purpose. We need more of that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. igabradley

igabradley GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Chattahoochee
    100%. To quote another thread, OSU db's brought their "lunch pell" while ours seem to be happy bragging about some stupid acronym.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. StrangeGator

StrangeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Last year's LB class is very athletic and we'll see a lot more of them next season. Whoever replaces Reese will be much faster and better in coverage though not as good at run defense. Somebody has got to step up at Star. Maybe Dean will finally get it. I like Burney but prefer that he stay at LB. Diabate is the perfect size (for now) but I love what he did at OLB this season. I suspect they'll experiment a lot at the position in the spring.

I love where we are at DE and that will continue to take pressure off the secondary. It's amazing we could lose two guys like Zuniga and Greenard and still expect to have the best pass rush in the SEC next season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Where does summerall fit in. Does he move to linebacker? Does he put on the needed weight for de or buck?

15. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd venture to guess we'd be undefeated if Reggie Nelson was on our team.

Sooo....I'd say it's the personnel.

16. nobbqsauce

nobbqsauce All American

Nov 21, 2018
    Nelson would have been ejected from at least 4 games for being mean to the receiver and hitting him too hard.

Does Whittmore move to star if we bring in shorter, Henderson and Manuel to go with fraziers?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Orangeandblue15

Orangeandblue15 Junior

Jan 2, 2014
    I'd say scheme. No reason to hold anything back in a bowl game. It is the quintessential time to develop young players. If this is what he has them practicing through 15 extra practices and a bowl game this is what it is regardless of talent. Also I think at least an argument can be made that both Marco and CJ looked good playing bump and run man in their first year on campus so it makes one question whether their performances this year were due to skill or scheme.

18. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    Summerall and Bogle are the same size so I don't think size is as much of an issue at Buck. I think we'll see a lot of smaller players at Buck and some interoperability between OLB and Buck. We'll know a lot more when the spring roster comes out and we can see how much weight these kids gain (or lose).

19. CalGator

CalGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    I think the whole UF game plan was to stop the QB run. That's what uva had done all year. Well, they obviously spent their game prep teaching the guy how to pass. The GATORS were completely unprepared for this and it was a masterful plan by the uva coaches. The thing that surprised me was the UF coaches didn't adjust at halftime like they have all year.

20. StrangeGator

Apr 3, 2007
    Chicago
    One guy I'd like to see get a chance at Star is Trent Whittemore. He has the perfect frame, he's highly intelligent (had offers from Yale and West Point) and has played all over the field on both sides of the LOS, including an entire year as the starting QB. Wasn't one of our Bandit or Gator backs during the Jim Bates years a high school QB?