Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Fan apathy setting in?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorzilla91, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I think you've picked the wrong or secondary metric to determine a major reason for Napier's long term prospects. TV rights are granted to the SEC and the SEC then equally splits the annual take between the conference teams. These contracts are negotiated years at a time. If the SEC viewership as a whole rises, then the next iteration of the contract should bode well equally among all schools. Short of major changes in the structure of the SEC, if UF's viewership wanes, it won't make any difference in revenue to the school. I think much better metrics are season ticket sales and fannies in the seats for home games. Of course, they want to reduce the size of the stadium so less demand for seats makes that a much easier sell as long as they believe they can charge a premium for the new seating to cover the renovations to the remaining non-apathetic fans.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    So you are saying we are getting an inferior product, and with the stadium shrinkage, we will be paying more to see it. Yeah, sounds like we are headed for success here.

3. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    I'm not saying that at all, just pointing out that SEC TV revenue distributions aren't nearly as elastic as ticket sales, the latter being much more immediately impactful on UF's revenue stream.

4. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Maybe. Golden comes into play

There is definitely scenarios where Golden is dead after Y3, Napier is shaky but deserves Y4. What then? It makes sense to get a new AD at that stage

5. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    If they both fail, sure, he’s done. If Napier does well bb will never get him fired.

6. wargunfan

wargunfan GC Hall of Fame

Jan 6, 2010
    Inside your head.
    You are correct about revenue sharing being split evenly. I was thinking about
    You are correct about revenue sharing being split evenly. I was thinking about the effect of a bunch of noon starting times due to the Gators being a perpetual mediocrity. So we are both talking about what a half empty stadium does to revenue including ancillary sales and ad revenue. I don't imagine ad buys are as expensive for a Vanderbilt- Missouri game as they are for say Alabama-LSU.
    I am an advocate for less seating with theater seats throughout BHG. I've gotten too old to sit on a bleacher seat and would be willing to pay for comfort. Florida puts multiple millions into athletic facilities. How about spending some of those dollars on decent seating for adults?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    Im talking Napier being mediocre and bball is bad.

Unless one team is ELITE I’d say SS should be fired if the final combined ranking of football and basketball is above 40-50 in 2024. Basically both need to be top 20-25

8. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    That goes for any school that actually tries to win. If you lose, you get fired. Barely being ranked in football is never good enough.

9. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I think this is misleading. More and more, schools are reporting a "paid attendance" figure. If you ask around SEC programs, you'll find that there is a significant decline in tickets purchased by visiting teams. This makes the local market much more conducive to buying a ticket on game day (minus the electronic hassles, of course). But stadiums are noticeably more empty than they were even 10 years ago...in the SEC at least.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I only go to legit games and they’re always 90k+ so I have no idea how many ho to the trash games.

11. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I go to all home games..to me, if my Gators are playing, it is not a "trash" game, regardless of the opponent..I get to go to the place that I enjoy going to and share the experience with other Gator fans....:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    I’d love to also if it didn’t cost me 3k to attend a game. I’m not dropping that kind of cash to watch us trash an Alcorn st team that it should be illegal to put those poor guys on the field. It’s like making me fight Mike Tyson. Sure fans would like watching me get knocked out but that’s not sport to me, that’s just wrong.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. MCB51

MCB51 Moderator

Nov 23, 2015
    FL
    I understand..but I am getting to an age that there will be a time I may not physically be able to go..so I go to all of them..don't get me wrong..I am still healthy enough and young enough..after all, my parents were still going to games in their mid 80s..

• Like Like x 4
  14. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I think you could take Mike. Just watch out for that jab.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

To @Matthanuf06 and @nawlinsgator — I rightfully got called out by the mods for my earlier posts. So here’s a public apology (and no the mods didn’t ask me to do this).

I don’t know anything about you guys and all I have to go on is your posts. They’re always either cynically or directly disparaging our head coach and AD. I actually do respect opinions that disagree with mine — my problem with you guys is that there’s no balance to what you post. It’s always dissing Nape and SS, and that bugs the hell out of me because recruits, players, and their families read this board.

That’s my problem — but it doesn’t entitle me to be rude or tell anybody to shut the hell up. So my replies were beyond the rules of this message board. You guys win this round.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And watch your ears

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    Skink did get a warning because he took the interaction over the line. The discussion was already heated and both ‘sides’ were being a bit too emotional. We are all Gator fans here. Fan is a short for fanatic and it is easy to get emotional and less rationale when being involved with a topic in which the fan is invested.

It is probably true that some other folks should have been warned but no one else had gone out of bounds. This thread has a lot of great posters involved and has a diverse set of perspectives.

Let’s remember than we agree far more than we disagree in regard to the Gators.

Go Gators – carry on . . .

• Like Like x 2
  18. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would argue the "paid attendance" thing has been widespread for a long long time....certainly predating the era of this conversation.
    No question visitors generally are traveling less, which to me actually serves to impress me even more that paid attendence actually was up. IMO the drop in visitors isn't so much apathy as it is economic...hike in tic prices, travel exp, hotel costs have hit that market, especially for students who want to go to away games.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Baseball started doing it under Coach McMahon (all of a sudden we started having a minimum of 2,000 people present for a frigid mid-February game when there's a basketball game going on next door...yeah right). I know in the 90's, they used to estimate attendance figures for football games, but it wasn't related to ticket sales like it is now (of course, back then everything was a sellout, so it was just a matter of how many more are you adding on). Now, it's not clear if a ticket package available at Sam's Club counts as a "sold ticket" or what the actual rules are.

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

20. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah...I can remember mocking Miami in the 90s for the announced numbers. And then it just morphed into the new norm for pretty much everybody. I would watch a game and see lots of empty seats, then look up the box on Sunday and see the attendance was close to capacity