Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Fan apathy setting in?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatorzilla91, Mar 8, 2023.

1. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 All American

Nov 21, 2014
    So you guys really don’t believe there is anything wrong with the athletic program and that any fan unhappy right now is overreacting?

2. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

You’re not “any fan” — you’re a consistent crybaby. Only an idiot or a troll would call for “cleaning house” in the Athletic Dept when both football and basketball coaching staffs have just completed their first seasons. Which one are you?

3. gatorzilla91

Nov 21, 2014
    Show me were our athletics have improved under Scott Stricklins watch?

4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    Show me where your constant whining has improved uf athletics.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There hasn't been a moment in the history of any athletic program anywhere, where there haven't been some things wrong. Yes, you are overreacting if you are asking for a house cleaning based about the examples you cited....which I have specifically addressed.

6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Been to one of the finest baseball stadums in America, or across the street to softball? Been in an absolute showplace Football facility? Checked our balance sheet despite these massive facility projects and covid? Checked that top 5 overall all sports ranking every year? Talked to multiple national championship coaches who are happy and thriving?

• Like Like x 1
  7. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    But were any of these successful coaches hired by Stricklin? Just look at the records of his hires.

8. gatorzilla91

Nov 21, 2014
    So facilities? That’s it?
    He didn’t hire the championship coaches

also

Women’s basketball scandal?
    The decline of our soccer program?
    Back to back losing seasons in football?
    Back to back missing March Madness?
    Trying to reduce capacity in the Swamp?

9. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Golden & Napier just got here. And the reason they are here is because our AD recognized that changes needed to be made.

So really it’s Mullen. That’s it… that’s the list.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This is the point. Basketball and Football were both struggling when SS got here, and both sports got new head coaches within the last year because of it. So SS did what he needed to do, and you’re simply whining because both programs didn’t do a complete turnaround after only one season. Impatience and whining go hand-in-hand with children - and apparently with you too.

So I should add “child” to my list of “idiot” and “troll” for people who demand a total house-cleaning after each new staff has had only one year to work into their new jobs. Again Zilla, which one are you?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Is this something I'm going to have to do quarterly with you? I'm quite certain we've been through all this previously. You bringing it up ever 2-3 months isn't going to alter anything.
    "Scandal" is a stretch of epic proportion....but he replaced the coach with someone almost everyone was clamoring for in KRF.
    Soccer was a problem before he got here. It was a very delicate situation with a long time and previously successful coach. He gracefully handled Burleigh's exit. I know a good bit about Coach Bohon and think she will do well, but it will take time.
    Football he hired a new coach, I would say by and large most like Napier. I certainly do. Didn't we address this already in the post in this thread. Did something change since this morning?
    Basketball....see above
    Reduce capacity in the swamp. That's your issue lol. You do understand all the dynamics of changes to the Swamp? You do understand no decisions will be made without significant evaluations, analysis, and consultation with boosters and Board members. You do understand the desire by most for more comfortable and spacious seating? You do understand the need for more revenue producing luxury areas? You do understand this thread is about fan apathy and now you complain about reduced seating to accomodate and keep the fans happy and comfortable?

I'm kinda starting to think you don't really understand UF athletics at all

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Porschegator

Porschegator GC Legend

Aug 15, 2016
    Canton Ohio
    If UF is still a top five national program it is because of spring sports and volleyball only.

13. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Winner! Winner!

• Like Like x 1
  14. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So? Those are all parts of the UAA

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

We will be again. Because of football if nothing else. Because football is our heritage.

Basketball?….. basically except for two brief exceptions named Krueger and Sloan, championship-caliber basketball at Florida can be boiled down to 3 years of Billy Donovan. Essentially we were irrelevant in basketball for decades before Donovan arrived, and we’ve sucked ever since he left. We were the classic “flash in the pan” between 2006 and 2008. After 2008 Donovan had another 7 years to take us back to the Finals and he never came close. That 2006-2008 team was a generational collection of players.

To blame Scott Stricklin for not being able to create a championship basketball team at Florida strongly suggests an ignorance of UF athletics.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    I don't think the Stricklin criticism is unfair. There is no question the program overall has trended downward since his arrival. He'll get the chance to see if his recent moves turn it around, but the program is definitely not performing at the level I think most expect it to.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  17. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    Never came close? We went to 4 straight Elite 8's starting in 2011. In 2014 we were the number one overall seed and made the Final Four.

UF may have been a little late to the part in basketball, but we still made it. There is no reason we shouldn't expect to be one of the best SEC teams every season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Ok I understated Donovan’s accomplishments post-2008, but my point remains that our basketball heritage at UF still boils down to a 9-year run under Billy Donovan. We were an occasional factor at best before he arrived at UF and we’ve sucked the whole 8-9 years since he left

19. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Yes - because of baseball, softball, gymnastics, track and field, tennis, swimming and diving and lacrosse. And yes, UF did finish #5 in the Learfield Cup All Sports standings for 2021-22. Florida is the only school to finish in the Top 10 every year they've been compiling these stats.
    Texas Captures 2nd Straight Directors' Cup Title - National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics

• Like Like x 1
  20. bgator85

bgator85 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Sarasota
    The flip side is that UF hasn't won the SEC All Sports trophy since 2018 which is pretty crazy considering UF's historic dominance winning something like all but 2 in 30 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1