Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Dan Mullen a substandard hire?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Notoriousgator, May 10, 2018.

1. chompzone23

chompzone23 Recruit

May 14, 2018
    Very well said. I agree with you 100%. 3 - 4 years we should be coming up and knocking on bamas door.

2. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Agree. Great coaches turn programs around in about two years. Could it take three to make believers out of us, yes. Has any really good coach taken longer without being on the hot seat by year four? I am talking about restoring a once great program. Sure, there are coaches that take over perennially mediocre programs and eventually succeed but with a program that has championship pedigree, academics, facilities, and a deep recruiting base it starts to happen clearly by year two. Being in trouble with fans and Admin seriously inhibits the ability to build from there so he has to really come on by year two. Mediocre recruiting, results and agonizing pressers by year four are a killer.

Some thoughts:

I will sound like a broken record by mid season but what he puts on the field will determine how well he recruits. "People" just don't believe in Mullen yet and all the helicopter-landing-family-in-Swamp-photos-letters-to-the-fanbase-about-hard-work-and-character will not change that perception.

I do not expect the QB performance to improve drastically next season although it could. By year three- yes that's a long time- Mullen has to have his QB(s) and all-star playmakers in place.

Mullen's staff has to recruit the best defensive players possible. Last year's defensive class has abysmal numbers regardless of whose "fault".

I hope he and his staff can pull it together and start 6-0. It's possible. Will Tenn's first year never-before-HC beat us? I hope not because what would that say? Is Mullen and his staff going to let their team lose to Miss St? I hope not.

Start the season 6-0 or close to that then beat fsu and imo he will recruit very well- unless this staff just isn't ready for the big arena.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    As much as I despise Fisher, I still feel horrible for him over that whole fiasco... Horrible :(

As bad as this sounds, hopefully he wasn't innocent in this... And I say that because the poor guy's been through so much with his kids and his failed marriage... We shouldn't wish personal failures or problems on anybody...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly. Mississippi State has the same football tradition as Alabama. Just as easy to recruit at Starkville as Bama or Florida. No reason to make excuses for Mullen. Maybe Shula was a sub-.500 coach with halfway decent talent, and Saban just couldn't get that dog to hunt on that particular day.

Every team has a bad game once in a while. Spurrier almost lost to Vanderbilt once with a national championship-caliber team. Urban Meyer lost to Ole Miss with Tebow at QB.

5. TJtheGator

TJtheGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    For a place like UF, this hire is underwhelming. That doesn’t reflect future performance, but it is closer to the Zook and Muschamp hires than the Urban Meyer hire with regards to getting the fan base pumped up.

• Disagree Disagree x 7
  6. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    You can't be serious. MSt had 7 bowl wins in its entire history before Mullen. He nearly doubled that in his tenure.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    It's called sarcasm. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. How are we defining "substandard", especially before Mullen has even head coached a game in Gainesville? He fit Stricklin's criteria better than any other candidate. Experience with offense? Scott Frost, Chip Kelly, and Dan Mullen meet that criteria. Several years of head coaching experience at a power 5 school? Only Chip Kelly and Dan Mullen fit that bill. Experience in the SEC? Years of experience in recruiting the state of Florida? Understanding of Gator culture? Only Dan Mullen fit all those criteria.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Really really wanted to come to UF: Mullen
    Will likely stay and create much-needed stability for our program: Mullen

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. That is also true. I was citing Stricklin's criteria, the same criteria that he shared with the Gator Nation as a checklist before the search, and that he shared with us as a completed checklist after the search.

Obviously Stricklin had to check out Chip Kelly and Scott Frost even if they did not check all the boxes. As exciting as those two might have been, they did not check off all the boxes, and they did not want to come to UF or build/ rebuild in Gainesville. That leaves Mullen as the only qualified candidate. Maybe if Charlie Strong were not in year 1 at a new job at the time he would have also checked the boxes. He would be the only other viable candidate.

11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Not as sold on Strong. He bombed his one shot at UF to coach the bowl game after Zook was fired. He had a flash of success at Louisville with Bridgewater as his QB, and bombed miserably at Texas. He may prove to have been a better DC than HC. Time will tell.

I’d take Dan Mullen over Charlie Strong every day of the week

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. I agree. Strong is not as strong a candidate as Mullen, but he would have been the only other qualified candidate.

13. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    But to title this post:
    "Is Dan Mullen a substandard hire?"

I almost went on troll alert.

The only other "Type" coach I would have maybe wanted was a young coach with a wide open offense or someone like Kerwin Bell and that was NOT going to happen.

14. GatorToTheEnd

GatorToTheEnd VIP Member

Oct 4, 2014
    Pensacola, Fl
    D'oh! Ray really needs to get working on that sarcasm font.
    But in my defense I was correct - you weren't serious. :oops:

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  15. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    No. Mullen was the best option UF had at that time and if SS had not pulled the trigger when he did, Mullen would be at UT instead of Pruitt. UF got the better end of that deal. Ask yourself this: If Mullen had ended up at UT, is there any other coach UF was considering at that point you would have been happier with then Mullen?

I don’t have any doubts about Mullen’s ability to coach. The issue is that he could never recruit well enough to win the big games he needed to get to the next level at MSU. Is that because you cannot recruit at a high level at MSU because it’s MSU or was it Mullen’s ability as a recruiter?

I think if the author wanted to make a better argument it should have been: Why did Mullen stay at MSU that long? You either win at MSU and move on or lose and get fired. It’s not a destination program and if you can win at MSU, another big time program would want to hire you. Mullen interviewed for other jobs but never was offered one. Why?

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Without going into detail, I have it on good authority that Jimbo found out in a way I would never wish on another man. If that had been me, I would have called up my lawyer to get full custody and then called Jimmy Sexton to get me the Hawaii coaching job so I was as far away from Tallahassee and the soon to be exwife as possible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yup. I'm a troll.

It's the title of the friggin article. Yeesh some people.

18. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    He walked in on them.

19. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy GC Hall of Fame

Apr 7, 2010
    Leave it to a nole to think he was beating around the bush by saying it that way

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    My concern with Mullen is not that I worry he's a bad coach - I think he's proven that he's not. There's a lot of value to knowing that a guy has proven himself a competent SEC coach, that he knows what the league is about and can win here. I'm confident Mullen will be fine.

So I don't fear that he'll be a Zook or McElwain caliber disaster. My worry is that "fine" is all he'll be, that we'll end up settling in as a solid, consistent nine-win sort of program that never embarrasses itself like the 2013 or 2017 teams but never seriously challenges for championships. And I don't think it's unreasonable for Florida fans to set championship-level as expectation for the program.

Look... Mullen was a Plan C guy. If either Chip Kelly or Scott Frost wanted this job, they would have it, and Mullen would be coaching in some other SEC town that ends in "-ville." That doesn't mean he's a bad coach or that he'll fail here. Back-up options work out, and Mullen was a damn fine Plan C. But it's always a little dispiriting when you have to go that route.

• Agree Agree x 1