Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Dan Mullen a substandard hire?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Notoriousgator, May 10, 2018.

1. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    Johnny Majors was at UT....
    His 1976 Pitt team won the NC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Better yet: Is this a SUBSTANDARD article written by a Tide fan that's worried Satan I mean Saban has some competition?

And where the bloody hell is strike thru now on the list?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    I had forgotten about that. That is a good catch. But I still think that the SEC in 2009 was more competitive than it had ever been, and stacked with top tier coaches. I mean, a coach won a national title and was then fired while CDM was at State.

4. Guilty. I was at that game, and I had blocked that memory until I found this post. Thanks for that. However, this is a good reminder that Dan Mullen did beat a more talented Florida team in the Swamp. He also beat Michigan, which is something that Florida coaches have not been able to do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. noiseinthesystem

noiseinthesystem Sophomore

Nov 15, 2017
    Yeah but don't forget he lost to USA, at home.. which is a little more embarrassing than losing to UM

6. Not in 2010. MSU lost to #21 Auburn (the 2010 national champions, and they lost by 3), #15 LSU, #11 Alabama, and #13 Arkansas. Out of those four teams, Alabama ended up with the most losses that season.

Obviously there is no excuse for losing to USA in 2016, but the special teams and defense were horrible that year. The defensive coordinator lasted a year, then MSU beat his new team, Louisville, the following year.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  7. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    That doesn't explain Jimbo Fisher and the Florida State / Texas A&M situation. Money talks, if you have enough of it.

8. chemgator

chemgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I remember when Nick Saban was washed up after Alabama lost to Louisiana-Monroe. Never won another game of consequence since that debacle. He always struggles to get a winning record, and is almost run out of town every year in Tuscaloosa. Now THAT is a sub-standard coach!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. noiseinthesystem

Nov 15, 2017
    Waaay different situation, saban did that his first year at bama, with shulas sub .500 talent, Mullen did that in 2016 with his guys

10. TEKgator22

TEKgator22 GC Legend

Nov 30, 2008
    VA
    And USA was without Mike Eruzione that game....

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    Fisher was not happy at the SOW and they weren't happy with his complaining about facilities after a poor season. LSU also offered Fisher a blank check one year earlier and were unable to pry him.

12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Something else to consider with respect to our fall after Tebow/Meyer... If Meyer were still here, we may have some character problems and things of that nature within the program, however, I would argue that we would be much closer to where we were from 2005-2009 than 2010-2017... Given that Smart graduated from Georgia, I don't see him leaving any time soon... that is his dream job...

The biggest hope that I have is that these Georgia recruiting classes are a house of cards contingent upon promises Smart has yet to follow through on... If he lays an egg this year, Mullen can make him pay for that... but unfortunately, I believe that we may be in a situation where Smart needs to make a mistake for us to "be back"... as much as I love Mullen, too much of his job seems to be out of his hands at the moment... I believe he can do everything right this year and still have a worse year than Georgia, simply because they're ahead of us right now... And that would be the case for any coach that we hired... including Chip Kelly, who is off to a slow start recruiting at UCLA, take that for what you will... or Scott Frost, who doesn't know what it's like recruiting in the SEC or competing with Smart and Saban in addition to the Auburns of the world on a week-in week-out basis...

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    I'm pretty sure Texas A&M broke bank to get Fisher... good for them... and for us:D.... But I'd say Fisher is probably the biggest winner in this deal because he's being obscenely overpaid and received all of these costly assurances from the school... all with no guarantee he will win, there...

Most schools aren't willing to do what Texas A&M did... because if Fisher actually doesn't work out, as unlikely as I think that is... they're in big trouble.... probably for a long time.

14. NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR GC Hall of Fame

Jun 2, 2014
    Geez,

Off Season around here is brutal. Who else would you want? I wanted Frost but that was not going to happen. After that, who?

I really like Charlie Strong and he was a choice of mine before Zook and Muschamp. He can't seem to get his timing straight. The Nation wanted an Offensive Guy - even though he has a good OC now.

All that said, what more could you ever ask from a coach? This is the guy who as OC won us not one but two NCs. And what happened when he left? And look at the energy he brings to G'ville and the G Nation?

Forget Miss St. They loved Mullen in Starkville, Why? BECAUSE he won. Look at Strong at UL and now USF? Forget Texas, it was a mess. Did Penn St put Franklin up against this kind of scrutiny? Heck no. WHY? BECAUSE we won at VANDY.

Y'all need to chill out BECAUSE come August 2018, these kids are going to "strap it on" and shock most of you.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

16. noiseinthesystem

Nov 15, 2017
    I'm optimistic, I want to see this program get back to where it was, but I'm also realistic, and know we're waaay behind, far as foley, that's a different subject

17. GameTime1

GameTime1 GC Legend

Jul 27, 2015
    When do you think the next time we beat uga is? 2022? How about play in the SECCG? Win it?

18. noiseinthesystem

Nov 15, 2017
    UGa.. 2022, 2023 sounds about right, theyre killing it on the recruiting trail, our top 15 classes aren't good enough, when they're racking in top 3. SECCG, when we beat UGa, and hope pruitt hasn't turned UT around by then. Win it.. I honestly couldn't tell you that, I think we're a ways out

19. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Crazier things have happened... But they will probably need to make a mistake or have luck go against them... All we can ask Mullen is to maximize this team's potential... and win the games we should win...

Call me crazy, but at the end of the season, it would not surprise me at all to have a better football team than everyone on the schedule (yes, including FSU), apart from Georgia... That's just the absolute ceiling of this team... I prefer making predictions towards the averages...

Like last year, staying healthy is going to be huge... if we get the injury bug, things won't be good at all, also like last year...

20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Don't think for a second the Taylor Jacobs thing didn't factor in this too, or his general bad attitude at F$U over the last few years. That's not something that is easily dismissed.