Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Dan Mullen a substandard hire?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Notoriousgator, May 10, 2018.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The only question I have about Mullen right now, given recent events, is the kind of character he looks for in recruits.

2. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    He was also rated the forth best coach in the sec in another rating behind Saban, Smart and Jimbo.

13th best in nation

3. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    For now at least, I think these reports of UGa's "invincibility" are a bit premature. As we all know too well, what seems invincible for the foreseeable future can come crashing down rather abruptly. Maybe Kirby gets the tag of not being able to win the big one or, who knows, gets offered some insane amount of money to move to the NFL. Lots of things can happen and UGa has still not won the big one yet. I never saw 2010-present coming, even after the loss to Bama.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  4. timmy1

timmy1 Sophomore

Dec 24, 2017
    Here's a formula to describe the author of this article:

Computer+internet acess+basic typing skills=football expert!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    This is spot on.

I remember Terry Bowden who began his Auburn career 20-0-1, including 11-0 his first year.
    4 years later he was fired mid-season.

I'm not saying Bowden = Smart. (He's not smart in more ways than one.)

But I am saying that we shouldn't project the future based on the recent past.

Edit: I had a brain lock and said originally said UGA only won the East last year when in fact they won the SEC.. Sorry for the mistake.
    I blocked out the SECCG due to the heinous nature of seeing UGA winning the SEC.
    Thanks for the correction.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    The biggest cause of hope for me is looking at FSU... I think Georgia is currently a greater sleeping giant, right now, than FSU has been the past several years, but 2014 FSU, despite their record, drastically underperformed with the talent they had... remove Cook and Winston, and those stellar recruiting classes have not amounted to much...

Sometimes we see teams become too reliable on certain players.... and I believe that was certainly the case with FSU with Winston and Cook... and even the Gators, to an extent, with Tebow and Harvin... It wouldn't surprise me if both teams come into rivalry weekend feeling uneasy this season....

I guess we'll see... but Georgia does scare me right now, and they should be the favorite to win the East next season, again.

With respect to what we can control, we need a recruiting class with quality over quantity, we need to find a QB, and we need to have safe, real depth on the offensive line... Hopefully we'll be there by 2019... I don't see why we can't be there by 2020, as long as Mullen plays his cards right... It all starts with recruiting... and we don't need to have the #1 recruiting class every season... we just need our 11 guys to be better than their 11 guys... one way or another... Depth helps, but you only have 11 players on the field at a time... :)

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. TJHooker

TJHooker Senior

Jul 31, 2014
    I firmly believe he is one of the top 14 coaches in the SEC. Likely 3rd. But hey, lets let him get some games under his belt here before we finalize.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

one of the top 14 coaches in the SEC?

LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    He was at Miss State , in Starkvegas playing in the West ! Just stop it !

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    I’m firm on that too

11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. nawlinsgator

nawlinsgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    That's just one more thing that Mullen has done that Florida hasn't......beat Michigan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I agree, though I would have loved to see Chip Kelly here. He's brilliant.
    But I don't think he would be happy.

I don't think he would like the weather or the fishbowl or the SEC magnifying glass.
    I think he would have done well, but also that he would leave in a few years.

Just IMHO. I could be wrong.

14. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Yeah - I loved the idea of Kelly. But I’m really happy that didn’t work out. He’s a crazy cat. Still learning about himself? I get it but you’re a football coach dude - you gotta go shake hands and kiss some babies in the summer.

I guess that UCLA just doesn’t care enough to get some positive PR going.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. g8rvet

g8rvet Premium Member

Feb 2, 2011
    He kinda won the SEC. Last year. 2017. You don't remember that??????????

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. gatormonk

gatormonk GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I wasn't real thrilled about the Mullen hire but I was thrilled about the Muschamp hire. So don't ask me.:)

• Funny Funny x 3
  17. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The main question I have right now is if he can win here without a bunch of 5 stars... with 3 star and some 4 star.

18. Agator88

Agator88 Senior

Oct 7, 2014
    I agree with the timing and it feels like when Zook left and Meyer was brought in. UGA was on the rise then too, not to a national title appearance, but the David Greene years with Richt they were going in the right direction. Meyer came in and immediately started recruiting at a high level. So we never got left behind. My worry is how well UGA has recruited compared to UF the last 2 years. I feel like Mullen is more behind the 8 ball than Meyer was, just because Zook left a loaded roster.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. tafc_5_1981

tafc_5_1981 GC Legend

Dec 15, 2013
    SC
    I think that is a substandard article.

• Agree x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  20. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Best candidate and fit in the market at the time, so that's usually considered a win when hiring. The premise of the article is simply asinine. Dollars paid are irrelevant as is tallying wins against the CFB elite.

Program building and program management. That's the only metric for this particular hire. It's tough to argue DM didn't evince that in spades for a decade at MSU, though I guess it's easier to ignore it to produce the 'insightful' content the article provides.

• Agree Agree x 4