Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Dan Mullen a substandard hire?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Notoriousgator, May 10, 2018.

1. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I truly don't believe so but this guy rips Mullen. Im happy to have Dan regardless of his salary. Our recruiting will pick up steam and Dan will be rolling as soon as these kids learn this offense.

"Recall, if you will, that during the first two years of Mullen’s tenure, the only SEC team he beat was Ole Miss. It was not until the third year that his team would get to .500 in conference play, and that was by beating zero ranked teams, and none who finished with more than seven wins. In 2011, the first season that Mullen’s Bulldogs would began the preseason ranked, his Bulldogs flopped to a 7-6 record — losing to every team with a winning record except Louisiana Tech. They lost every game against ranked opponents by double digits, except one — South Carolina.

2013 was more of the same: 5 ranked teams played, 5 losses by double digits; it beat three teams with a winning record, and only one (Ole Miss) was a Power 5 program. 2014, as we know, was the zenith for Mullen: That year the Bulldogs would elevate to No. 1 in the country for one shining week and actually beat three ranked teams. This was a good team — that still imploded down the stretch losing three of its last four, beating only Vandy.

Not exactly a sterling resume for the 5th-highest paid coach, is it? Zero wins against Alabama; two wins against Auburn; three wins against LSU; zero division titles; zero conference titles; zero New Year’s Six bowl wins — $6,103,00 per year."

Question of the Day: Did Florida settle on a substandard hire in Dan Mullen?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. jeffbrig

jeffbrig GC Legend

Aug 7, 2007
    Had Miss St been an upper echelon team, he'd be right. Considering the team history, Mullen did well. Several comments under the article said so as well.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Like Like x 1
  3. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    I think Mullen will prove to be a huge improvement over the last two coaches. My two main arguments are that he knows the SEC well, and he knows what this place looked like in 2008.

He is the only other person qualified for the job besides Meyer himself who can say he knows what it took to be 2008 Florida.

I also thoroughly enjoy the importance he places on toughness and conditioning, which was severely lacking in recent years.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  4. sir percival harvin

sir percival harvin Sophomore

Oct 14, 2017
    The short answer is "no", but let us add some context...

When SOS was hired at Florida in 1990, there were zero coaches in the SEC that had won a national title. SEC teams would win three over the next ten years. Alabama in 1992, Florida in 1996, and Tennessee in 1998.

When Dan Mullen was hired in 2009, Tommy Tuberville had taken Auburn to an undefeated season in 2004, Nick Saban had taken LSU to a national title, and Florida had won national titles in 2006 and 2008, with LSU winning a title in 2007.

Thus, there were four coaches in the SEC that had won national titles, Les, Steve, Nick, and Urban.

Over the next eight years, Alabama, Auburn, and LSU would win titles.

That South Carolina team Ms St beat, was coached by SOS.

Also, James Franklin had freackin Vandy rising during that period.

So, again, when CDM got Ms St to its fort EVER number one ranking during that period, I think it shows considerable skill.

Damn the haters and go Gators!!!

• Like x 6
    • Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 2
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Optimistic x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  5. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Dan Mullen was NOT a substandard hire. I'm a huge fan of the hire, the style (Urban Meyer protoge as opposed to Nick Saban), and the scheme (spread with a heavy use of a mobile QB as opposed to pro)...

but....

I'm concerned about the current state of the program and if Mullen is the guy that can overcome it, particularly, with the recent emergence of Georgia... My biggest concern is that the timing may be bad... I think we should've hired Mullen 2 and a half years ago when Muschamp got fired, to prevent Georgia from ever rising... it's going to be tough to take them down now as they have risen tremendously and we've continued to remain in mediocrity....

We really need Georgia to have a disappointing season this year... if that happens and we show promise... look out... that would definitely be a case of the stars aligning in just the right way to provide Mullen with all the spark he needs to bring us back and be "the guy."

He's the right hire, he just needs momentum... but that's not on him.... that's just the state of the program and our competition as things are, now...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Bushmaster

Bushmaster GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Complaining about Dan Mullen's record at MSU would be like complaining about Dale Earnhardt never winning a NASCAR race because he was driving a Volkswagen Beetle.

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Winner x 3
    • Creative x 2
    • Wish I would have said that x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Best Post Ever x 1
  7. Well, crap. We might as well fire Dan Mullen right now and save ourselves the trouble. /Sarcasm

113 days until season opener.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    Short answer - No.

Secondly, like I care what a guy who writes for an Alabama website thinks.

Thirdly, people talk about the money like it is a real gage of anything in the profession. It’s not. All of the coaches make too much money. If you want to compare Mullen to Muschamp or Mac, talk about the fact that Mullen was a head coach for 9 years. Instantly more head coaching experience than any coach we have EVER hired in our history. But still a very young and energetic guy. Exactly the combination we need.

He will do fine. He’s got a history with our AD and is a proven team player for working together to build a program (McElwain clearly was not). Will we win an SEC in 2 years? Probably not. This isn’t an instant fix situation like Spurrier and Meyer walked into. We dont have a ton of great players on campus and the conference is at all time best in terms of competition.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. themistocles

themistocles VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Temple Terrace, FL
    Personally, other than Muschamp, who I was largely against from hiring day, I've felt that all of the other recent M coaches (Meyer, Mac & Mullen) were good hires.

Teams can nosedive at the end of a season for any number of reasons perhaps the most common of which is an injury to a vital energy component of the team. Some people just lift everyone up (e.g. Tebow). If they are injured, everyone else drops.

At MIss St, he never had depth, which you gotta have when playing a brutal SEC schedule.

Ultimately, we'll see what we'll see.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. GatorRider

GatorRider GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    While Mullen's hire may have lacked the star-power of say, a Kelly hire; since Mullen has stepped off the plane he's proven he's worthy of the job. Rallying fan support, recruiting the right pieces / personnel to fit his style of coaching, and hiring, what in my opinion is a great staff. He's building a foundation. Yes it will take some time, and I hope Gator Nation isn't impatient. But no, this was not a substandard hire.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  11. GATOR_4Life

GATOR_4Life All American

Aug 16, 2010
    Marietta, Ga
    I'm going to ignore his judgement on Mullen, and just comment that the author's premise is all wrong.

Money doesn't solve anything when everybody has money, it's just the entry fee. Taking a coach from any P5 school is expensive, but taking a coach from a top 25 revenue program with money alone is basically impossible. Why? Because people (boosters) are loss averse, and will pay big money to hold onto a good coach. Because rebuilding is inherently difficult compared to sustaining a program, so while we can reasonably be sure Franklin (for example) will continue winning at Penn State, he could fail at rebuilding Florida...not because he a worse coach than we thought but simply that there is a risk of losing anytime you step up to the roulette table. As a result he is more valuable to Penn State than he is to Florida.

Last edited: May 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Gator715

Gator715 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 6, 2015
    Great analogy

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. gatorgrad92

gatorgrad92 GC Legend

Nov 25, 2013
    Some decent points made in the article...some questionable assumptions too. We'll know for sure in 3 years.

14. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Umm, so this should be REALLY EMBARRASSING for the author and frankly any Gator who posted it.
    This statement is COMPLETELY WRONG. And we should know.

Mullen and Mississippi State BEAT THE GATORS in Mullen's 2nd year. It was a nightmare of a game, and maybe most have blocked it out, but he beat us. Mullen beat Meyer in 2010.

A quick search of the 2010 Miss State schedule shows the following...(Mullen's 2nd year.)

Win IN THE SWAMP 10-7
    Win vs UGA 24-12
    Win vs Uk 24-17
    Win vs OM (which was mentioned.)
    total SEC record 4-4. Total record 8-4

This got them to the Gator Bowl where the demolished Michigan 52-14.

So it appears the author is just making stuff up now.
    What a shame. What a liar.

And if we can't trust him to actually tell the truth about something that it took me 3 seconds to find using Google, what does that say about his load-of-crap opinion that Mullen was a sub-standard hire.

Wow, just wow. How embarrassing.

And to sum it all up...
    Mullen took a State team that was 18-30 over the past 4 years, with 1 bowl game, and in 2 years brought them to 9-4, including wins over Florida and Michigan.

And this is a sub-standard hire?

• Winner x 10
    • Like x 6
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples

Good point I guess the author only counts the SEC West as in the SEC?

16. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay GC Hall of Fame

Dec 19, 2011
    South Florida
    That guy is a hack. While I am all-in for Mullen and think he will win big, he does have the stigma of not beating the Top Ranked teams. He will need to change that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. ofmgator

ofmgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    NO! He won at Miss State without a bunch of five stars and has the energy, experience and ability to make us winners again. Sure it won't be easy but we'll be a lot tougher. and players will be better utilized, not to mention that Mullen is truly a great developer of QB's. GO GATORS!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This writer is a moron, who did no research, then jumped to a bunch of unfounded conclusions.

Idiot.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. You bring up a point that I also like to use: sometimes it is also a matter of where a coach fits in, as well as timing. Franklin might have been worth $4M at Florida in 2013 if Florida had fired Muschamp, but Franklin fits better at Penn State. Back in 2004 there certainly were folks who noticed Urban Meyer as an up-and-coming coach at Bowling Green and Utah making $500k, but how many accurately predicted he would be worth the $3M pay bump he got from Utah to Florida? Muschamp was probably worth $2M to $3M as the next up-and-coming coach, and one of the top rated assistants in 2011. Granted, very few people were singing the praises of McElwain in 2015 as a $3M coach, but out of the available coaches on the market he was the best fit as an alleged offensive guru with SEC experience.

Predicting success is difficult, no matter how much money is thrown at the problem. I think Mullen will be successful not because of the amount of money thrown at him, or his record at Mississippi State, but due to his familiarity with the inner workings of the Gator program, and his rapport with Stricklin.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Far from embarrassing to post a gator-related article on a gator message board. I completely disagree with the author but brought the article here for conversation. Isnt this a message board?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1