Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Is Charlie Strong done at USF?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by TWGator, Sep 28, 2019.

1. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    I think partially nailed it. He was an elite DC when the roster was filled with NFL talent.

2. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    Usf had 6 personal fouls, that’s poor coaching.

3. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    Hell (bleeping, bleeping, bleeping) NO! Don't want that embarrassing lunatic anywhere near our program. If he ever comes back he should be an unpaid assistant for 5 years (make up for all the money he took pretending to coach) and then say 500 mea culpas for embarrassing the University on the sideline and the field (Georgia Southern). Maybe then I'd say "Hell yea" to that guy being a DB coach (which is what he should have stuck with all along). Actually, Bleep No. Never want that Bulldog near our program again.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Cade called plays for VSU and did it pretty well. Makes perfect sense to bring someone you trust and knows the offense better than anyone else to be on staff. Why wouldn't he bring him is probably a better question

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gatorplank

gatorplank GC Legend

Apr 25, 2011
    I'd rather have Pruitt than Strong as a career DC. Pruitt has been a successful DC at 3 different programs in the southeast. He can recruit the SEC, and he knows how to coach defense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Nepotism rarely works out well in big time sports.

I’m kinda over people equating success on the field as a player being a predictor of coaching success.

Obviously, what SOS did for our program was validated by his time at Tampa Bay Bandits and Duke.

As stated earlier I will fondly remember KB’s contributions as player and I hope not to see him in a coordinator capacity UF

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. defensewinschampionships

defensewinschampionships GC Hall of Fame

Sep 16, 2018
    Funny but I coached Kade and Kolton and I thought Kolton would be the coach and Kade would be a salesman.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. SewaneeGator

SewaneeGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Not only has South Carolina's defense regressed the last few seasons, Muschamp's one stint as a DC this decade was a disappointment with Auburn's D performing worse than before he arrived only to get better the season after he left.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I totally concur that playing success has almost nothing to do with coaching success. But Kerwin did a great job at both JU and VSU, I don't think that is debatable. I had some ties into that program, and they universally raved about Kerwin. That doesn't mean it translates to being a UF coach, and it doesn't mean Kade will either. But I thought it was a decent hire for USF and I'm surprised it has busted thus far. I haven't seen any of their games since Wisconsin, but it seems like the trigger man is killing them....and one thing he needs is a good QB. Had Brantley in Ocala, had good guys at JU including Kade and Dickey's grandson, and had Dickey's other grandson at VSU

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Ask a fair question and you get a disagree. Not all gators are bright I guess.

11. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think it would reflect well on UF to buyout both Grantham and Strong immediately.

12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Seems kind of early for usf to pull the plug on Strong. They're not exactly a prime time program. Strong is a high character guy and will be fine either way tho. Think his time at UF has passed

If the UF position opens up, hope it's
    a proven young DC, and certainly not a retread like Pruitt, Muschamp, etc.

13. littlebluelw

littlebluelw Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I attended the game with my son and a former USF QB. He unequivocally wants Strong gone now. The administration there hasn’t committed to getting them the facilities they need and the season ticket holders are jumping ship.
    FWIW he wants Kerwin to be named HC.

14. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    This. Meyer made Strong. He loaded his D.Look at the team Meyer left behind at OSU. Can you say LOADED?!?!? The only coach that could screw up inheriting a Meyer team, was Chimp.

15. sleeze

sleeze GC Hall of Fame

Jul 24, 2007
    South GA
    Would rather have Dan Quinn back if Grantham left.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  16. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Ive already stated KB is a good guy and he has always been very likable. His time in Ocala was less about coaching and more about raiding talent from local schools to play at the Catholic school. They had more D1 talent than most teams 3-4 classifications higher than them. Wouldn’t be surprised to find out it was John Brantley doing the “recruiting” to TC to surround his son with great athletes.

Didn’t follow him much at JU. His time at VSU was similar to the historical performance for VSU. It’s not like he had to resurrect the program or delivered results beyond the norm for VSU.

It goes without saying that a QB can make or break a coach/team but shouldn’t an offensive wizard be able to make something out of nothing 10-17 pts/game? This year for USF sounds like past years at UF round peg meet square hole.

Lastly, family hires in college football rarely work because if success doesn’t happen judgement is clouded and the tough conversations usually don’t take place in a timely business minded manner.

Like I stated much earlier, KB is a great guy but IMO hasn’t done anything to justify the role he has. presently with albeit a very small sample he isn’t delivering the expected results some on gothic board were fore telling for his system. This year could dim his D1 star permanently depending on the rest of the year. YMMV

17. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    If the Falcons fire him he'll probably take another NFL DC job and be named someones Head Coach in a few years, the NFL loves the HC-DC-HC recycling program.

• Agree Agree x 4
  18. ocalaman

ocalaman Freshman

Jun 30, 2018
    Charlie Strong is Ron Zook. Great assistant coaches, good guys, not cut out to be CEO's of a major football program.

19. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I would not compare how Strong's defense would be today with how his defenses were in the early 2000s, as it is a different culture in football today. Injuries to players is a greater consideration now than it was then. Practices in the fall and to some degree in week prep had hard hitting. That is non-existent now. Tuberville was one of the coaches I remember who stayed away from tackling in the fall, and Auburn always had difficulty tackling in the early games but was lights out in the second half of the season. We are in that era now, and some of our guys still look rusty tackling. Strong will not be allowed to run live tackling drills at UF like he did in the early 2000s.

20. lerxst6

lerxst6 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    Naples
    First I’ll say I would not want Strong back as our DC. But Meyer didn’t make Strong. Strong was a great recruiter as an assistant - and successful at Notre Dame, Florida, and South Carolina in that capacity before Urban Meyer was HC at UF. Strong learned from Holtz and Spurrier.

Meyer gets a staff full of guys that are a few millimeters away from being head coaches and does extremely well. Charlie was one of those guys - and Urban’s staff took a big hit when he left for UofL.

I don’t think Charlie’s philosophy matches up with Mullen’s at all. Great guy but not viable as a DC here at UF in the near future for a lot of reasons.