Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Iran Ups the Ante _ Drone Attacks on KSA Refineries

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by G8trGr8t, Sep 14, 2019.

1. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Uses Houthi as a proxy to launch drone attacks against major Saudi refineries. No way that was Houthi tech or operational capacity to inflict that amount of damage. This could spiral out of control in a hurry as everybody with any sense knows that Iran did it.

And that is exactly how Iran would use nuclear weapons if they get them and then claim plausible deniability.

This takes 5M barrels per day plus off the world market. That is over 5% of the supply. And it is going to be down for quite a while. I don't see how they are back to production after looking at the scale of the fires shown on videos. Might want to fill your heating oil tanks now if you are up north. Look for gas to go up 0.20 to 0.30 next week

Have to wonder if Iran is trying to diminish KSA production to try and get Trump to allow Iran to export to make up the void. If he does, he is an ever bigger fool than I think he is.

U.S. Blames Iran for Attack on Saudi Oil Facilities

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo blamed Iran for coordinated drone strikes on the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry, saying they marked an unprecedented attack on the world’s energy supply.

The strikes shut down half of the kingdom’s crude production on Saturday, potentially roiling petroleum prices and demonstrating the power of Iran’s proxies.

Iran-allied Houthi rebels in neighboring Yemen claimed credit for the attack, saying they sent 10 drones to strike at important facilities in Saudi Arabia’s oil-rich Eastern Province. But Mr. Pompeo said there was no evidence the strikes had come from Yemen.

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Hendersonville, TN
    Let the Saudi's and Iranians demolish each other and the world will be a better place.

3. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    The question we should be asking is why did the Iranians permit one of their proxies to conduct as escalatory attack against a major Saudi Oil refinery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    This also helps Russia. Over half of Russia's economy is financed thru fossil fuels. If you think they won the election for Trump, how can you not see their fingers in this.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    Pretty much every intelligence agency said they interfered in the election. I haven’t been following this closely, has anyone linked the Russians to this attack?

6. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    They benefit the most maybe no one has looked. The Russians did buy ads but come on Hillary's arrogance cost her the election.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. NavyGator93

NavyGator93 GC Legend

Dec 4, 2015
    Georgia
    I didn’t say anything about how they influenced, I just said they influenced.
    I stand to gain from the attack to as I own stock in a us oil company, but I have an alibi. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  8. docspor

docspor GC Hall of Fame

Nov 30, 2010
    well, we are the world's largest oil producer...

a covert US war against SA making it look like IRAN benefits us in many ways.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    To try and put pressure on world oil supply so trump will allow them to sell oil to market would be my guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    They might have built these drones... They or the Chinese...

11. AgingGator

AgingGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Somebody needs to make sure and take their meds!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Have to wonder if this would have happened if trump hadn't bailed out of the Iran nuclear treaty and gave them an excuse. Sure seems like a dangerous path we are on with no game plan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    19 points of impact. All on the northern parts of the facilities. Houthi are south, Iraq is north.

I suspect that these were guided missiles launched by Iranian proxies in Iraq. That is a major escalation that should warrant a response but the way that trump has antagonized our allies is going to make it hard for him to form a coalition that agrees unless the Europeans have some independent confirmation.

It would appear that Iran is in serious pain financially from the sanctions if they are willing to take this level of risk.

Trump Boxed In After Blaming Iran for Saudi Oil Plant Strike

Bigger picture is this is the same way that Iran would use nuclear weapons and try and claim innocence. Smuggle nuke into container ship or Israel and strike at their enemies while claiming no knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    We know who did this. Iran. The biggest problem is that nobody believes or trusts Trump. And they blame Trump lifting the sanctions for this. Iran was expansionist before the sanctions were lifted. They know they can do what they want and that Trump is a windbag. But, as long has he hates immigrants, appoints right wing judges, and won’t sign any gun restrictions, who cares if he can handle a real crises? This is not about Russia as suggested above. It is not a false flag operation. It is about Iran leading the Shiites against their ages old Sunni enemy. This is the greatest risk for war we have now and nobody is paying attention. Btw: more likely Iranians launched these from Iraq. In disguise.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  15. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I edited my post to add the last sentence before You posted agree.

16. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    And how do you think Iran would behave if/when they get nukes if they are this brazen and aggressive without the cover of nukes? Obama kicked this can down the road and left it for others to deal with. Iran can wait 10 years to get nukes while they finish their facilities. Obama knew it wouldn't be his problem in 10 years and was so anxious to get a deal, any deal, that he cut a bad deal that has put us here now.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    I was against the Iran deal. As much as I hate Trump (as you might have noticed here that is how I feel), I agree with getting out of that deal. North Korea grabs the headlines, but Iran is a far danger problem. They have assessed that this country will not respond aggressively to Iran because the country will not follow Trump. They have now shifted their aggression away from Syria to Saudi Arabia. Which was inevitable for them to extend their attempt at a Shiite caliphate. The Saudis are basically incompetent. They will utterly depend on our protection. This is an ugly development that, in normal times, would dominate the news cycle.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    and every democratic candidate would run back to that deal the day they are sworn into office which would put the world closer to another nuclear war. It would be up to Israel, with passive assistance from KSA to take out Iranian assets before they could develop a nuke and then Iran attacks Israel through Syria. One cannot treat Iran as a rational actor afraid of mutual self destruction as long as they are ruled by a theocracy who believes it is their destiny to create a Shiite caliphate across the ME.

For those that think Russia is aligned with Iran don't overlook Putin's fear that the fire can spread north from Iran into the southern provinces of Russian influence/control. Putin may feint support for Iran but he doesn't want them to get too strong lest he would have to deal with the zealots purporting to advance the "religion of peace"

If Iran were to secure nuclear capacity then KSA would be buying nukes from Pakistan shortly thereafter. We would then have 2 countries in the ME being run by zealots that hate each other with nuclear weapons. What could possibly go wrong?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. duchen

duchen VIP Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Russia is not aligned with Iran. Not in this. They used Iran to try to establish their influence in Syria, but Iran interfered. Iran controls Syria now, not Russia. Btw: Iran’s nukes are more a danger to Russia and Europe than the US. You are right.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Aug 26, 2008
    Crude prices jump 12% after drone strikes halve Saudi oil output; Trump says U.S. to tap strategic reserves

Oil prices jumped on global markets Sunday night after a wave of weekend drone attacks instantly erased half of Saudi Arabia’s oil production.

Brent crude on Sunday traded at $70.98 per barrel on oil futures markets, an 18 percent surge from Friday’s close of $60.15, before falling back to about a 12 percent increase. U.S. benchmark West Texas intermediate crude opened at $61.27 per barrel, a 12 percent climb, before easing to a 10 percent gain.

The attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil infrastructure immediately knocked out 5.7 million barrels — or nearly 6 percent of the 100 million barrels the world consumes per day.

“A supply disruption on this scale is an extraordinary event,” said Pavel Molchanov, an oil analyst with Raymond James. “No single disruption on this scale has occurred in decades.”

• Agree Agree x 1