Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

iPhone announcement on the 12th

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by citygator, Sep 6, 2018.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    I love my X. Best phone ever. Probably won’t change this year. Would love a larger screen on watch though. Looks promising.

On Wednesday, Sept. 12, Apple is holding a special event at its campus in Cupertino, Cali. It's widely expected that Apple will announce new iPhone models and a redesigned Apple Watch. It's also possible we will see new iPad Pro tablets, and a revamped MacBook or MacBook Air.
    How to watch Apple's Sept. 12 iPhone event

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. solari

solari GC Janitor GC Staff

I have the 7, it's in great shape and I am happy with it. It'll take an exceptional upgrade to motivate me to upgrade. The X wasn't it for me, so we'll see about this one. Am curious, for sure!

Ray

3. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Charlotte
    442037CF-FC4C-48A9-8E45-FA3085EB3863.jpeg

4. Gat0r

Gat0r 10S-NE1 VIP Member

Apr 20, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I got a X last year and had to return it. Gave me a headache as soon as I started using it. Returned it a got the 8+ with no problems.

It looks like the XR will be the one for me due to the screen. I don't understand the technical details but they started using PWM (pulse width modulation) which is a background flash to do something with the brightness of the screen. Apparently PWM gives about 10% of the population eye strain and headaches. The XR does not use it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. solari

Very interesting... I will have to take a look and see if that makes a difference for me, am pretty sensitive to screens due to being on the computer so much.

How does one know if a phone uses PWM or not?

Ray

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. demosthenes

demosthenes Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s an OLED display “issue.”

• Like Like x 1
  7. solari

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. If I were going to upgrade, I'd be going the XR route anyway because I don't need the fanciest model so that works out. : )

8. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
  9. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle
    Just found out about this. I don't fully understand how it works yet, but the idea seems to be if you have multiple Macs or iOS devices, things like OS upgrades and security patches are downloaded once, stored locally, and your other devices then access the local copy rather than downloading it again.

About content caching on Mac

After you enable content caching on a Mac, it keeps a copy of all content that local networked devices (called clients) download.

For example, when the first client on your network downloads a macOS update, the content cache keeps a copy of the update. When the next client on the network connects to the App Store to download the update, the update is copied from the content cache rather than from the App Store.

Because the local network is normally much faster than the Internet, the second client (and all subsequent clients) download updates much faster.

10. fastsix

fastsix Premium Member

Apr 11, 2007
    Seattle